Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just had to replace the clutch including the fly wheel on a 2005 2.5XT outback wagon with 13.5k miles. Does anyone have an opinion on how long subie clutches last? A friend told me she's done 3 on her car, the first with under 28k on the car. My experience with non subies is they go for at least 100k. Comments?? Please note all drivers of the 2.5 XT are experienced in driving manual transmissions.

Just had to replace the clutch including the fly wheel on a 2005 2.5XT outback wagon with 13.5k miles. Does anyone have an opinion on how long subie clutches last? A friend told me she's done 3 on her car, the first with under 28k on the car. My experience with non subies is they go for at least 100k. Comments?? Please note all drivers of the 2.5 XT are experienced in driving manual transmissions.

I replaced mine at 162K (91 Sports Sedan w/turbo). It was still working ok, but it felt like the pressure plate was getting weak. The old clutch disc looked like it would have gone another several thousand miles.

If you burned up a new clutch and flywheel in less than 14K with normal driving, something is seriously wrong.

Mike

Wow, that sux. With the power of the turbo and traction that grips like glue it seems resasonable that the clutch is going to be the weak link. Course Subie's clutches don't have the best feel either. It's hard to be consistant. I got about 140,000 out of mine. 00 OBW

Typically a short life is 60,000 (new driver) , worst i've heard is 30,000. An exp driver can get over 120,000, more if you have a functioning hill holder. i've gotten 160,000 out of a soobie clutch

13K there is something else going on....

nipper

I agree that either there is another mechanical issue or driving habits are causing it (no offense, I know lots of people that are really hard on clutches).

Most of the ones I've seen have gone at least 100k. Sometimes around 50 or 60 if it's ALL city driving. Even my mom, who slips the clutch for about 30 feet every time she backs out of the driveway, had the clutch in her 97 OBW go for 110k before I preventively replaced it (still had another 10k or so in it when I pulled it out).

Thanks guys (non gender term). My wife has done most of the driving, me about 500 miles and some done by our son. It just seems that you would have to be really bad to fry the clutch and fly wheel this soon. I hope it doesn't happen again, soon!!

Thanks guys (non gender term). My wife has done most of the driving, me about 500 miles and some done by our son. It just seems that you would have to be really bad to fry the clutch and fly wheel this soon. I hope it doesn't happen again, soon!!

hrmmm ....

You know its really hard to do burouts in a sooby by dropping the clutch..... How ever, i know when i was somebodies son, clutch dropping was all the rage.....

nipper

If was younger and had a 2.5T AWD I would beat the hell out of it. When I was 18ish I was doing ebrake slides and burnouts w/ mom's grand am gt. No turbo, no awd, no stick-shift, just a gas pedal and a handle e-brake. Yea, this was on dry pavement.

I've done 12k miles in a brand new Forester 2.5 XT.

At 31 tender years, I still enjoy using the power available. Even so, I don't let the clutch slip and get hot. Just give it 3500rpm and step off the clutch smartly...screech!

But seriously folks, a 14k clutch failure does sounds suspicious, but if the driver has a tendency to use the clutch pedal as a foot rest, then it is possible to kill a clutch in such a short distance.

(My 2.0 Impreza has lived with me since 40k miles and now has over 100k miles. Original clutch.)

One thing I have always noticed on my 2001 2.5 manual Legacy is what can best be desribed as a burning smell anytime I get out of the car after I have been in stop go traffic. I am assuming this is the clutch? Car has 85,000 miles on it and still appears OK. Is this smell a common feature of Subarus?

One thing I have always noticed on my 2001 2.5 manual Legacy is what can best be desribed as a burning smell anytime I get out of the car after I have been in stop go traffic. I am assuming this is the clutch? Car has 85,000 miles on it and still appears OK. Is this smell a common feature of Subarus?

With my old clutch it took some major slipping to develop the smell, but on the replacement which I was told was OEM with all the fixins' it doesn't take nearly as much to make it smell. Almost to the point I think it's not quite right. However (big however) I havn't had any judder with the new clutch for 10K. So it's a little give and take I suppose.