Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 Brat Turbo MPG?

P K

Hello All,

I have this friend ;) who has a turbo Brat with 3AT, and is getting about 16 mpg. He drives 70-75 mph for a 30 mile commute and the engine spins at ~ 4100 rpm. Very smooth and runs like a top... but the mileage is sucky. If he puts larger tires, e.g. 25-26" to get the rpms down near 3500-3600 - will the mpg get better? Or is the 3AT too much of a drag on the efficiency?

Those with EA81Ts, can you post some real world mpg figures?

Thank you, r/ PK.

This has come up a few times here on the board. The mileage on the EA81T's wasn't very good, and the automatic just made things that much worse. 18 MPG seems to be about the common average in the threads I've seen, although the Brat should get just slightly better. Brat's were generally rated 1 MPG more just for the lighter weight. All that extra power from the turbo requires more fuel. Staying out of the turbo and cruising at 55 MPH will get him back up to the 18 - 20 MPG range I'm sure. 70-75 is WAY over the optimal cruise speed of the EA81T.

He drives with the tailgate up right? Tailgate down (or none at all) will lower his MPG considerably.

GD

GD

He drives with the tailgate up right? Tailgate down (or none at all) will lower his MPG considerably.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/66846/gas_saving_tips_common_fallacies.html

The pickup truck and the tailgate

False: Driving with the tailgate down will make your pickup truck more aerodynamic and improve your gas mileage.

The position of the tailgate has a nominal effect on a truck’s gas mileage. Pickup trucks are designed to be their most aerodynamic with the tailgate up and locked. This topic created a storm on the NPR show, Car Talk, eliciting wind tunnel engineers and one former General Motors president, Bob Stempel, to set the record straight. Even the Discovery Channel took on this myth on the show Mythbusters. Conclusion? Myth busted.

Sorry GD, taint true.

LOL, at least this time GD wasnt the "rump roast" :-p

sorry, that was just funny to see between two so knowledgeable people, when its atypical for either of you to make a misconception like that.

someone needed a cup of coffee, methinks :lol:

my T-Brat got around 16-20 variably, but I also went to work uphill both ways on a 55 mile commute. Take a look at the speedo, wheres the "red area"? set around 55mph I believe, this back when the national speed limit was 55:cool:. And thats where manufacturers created cars for optimum performance hence thats where your gonna get the best gas mileage.

You might want to re-read my post.... But thank you for proving my point! ;)

I saw that eppisode of mythbusters (I think I've seen them all actually).

GD

LOL, at least this time GD wasnt the "rump roast"

sorry, that was just funny to see between two so knowledgeable people, when its atypical for either of you to make a misconception like that.

someone needed a cup of coffee, methinks

Eh, more like lack of sleep. 3hrs sleep daily is starting to affect my reading comprehension.

I'm goiing back to bed:-\

My wagon with the EA82 five speed returned a best ever of like 23.4 mpg driving at and average of 65 mph. I average around 21 usually and hardly evar dip below 20 mpg. I'm hoping that with the free flowing intake and exhaust will help that some. The stock stuff is garbage, but you have to think, what mpgs do WRXs and other turbo cars get? My Dad's rex doesn't get any better mileage than my car, so I'm not too worried.

Ive never cared for Mythbusters, as far as their actual testing and data collection methods.. the show is great, but i constantly find myself calling them out on like sixteen points between each commercial break where they dont follow good scientific method, and miss obvious things that would make the experiment in question more solid...

I personally think just about everyone on the show is more or less constantly high on something, and try to see what each person is on, each episode.. "that guy just looks blazed, hes gotta be on some painkillers, this dude almost seems like he has been freebasing, and i think he got ahold of to many antidepressants.." but they have fun. :drunk: I just rarely hold a myth that they bust, as truly busted. It happens, but not often... I haven't watched the show a great deal (maybe 10 episodes or so??) because i dont watch ANY TV at my house, only when im over at a buddy's or my parents.. but it seems like their experimental methods leave alot to be desired before using them as a primary reference :lol:

Ive never cared for Mythbusters, as far as their actual testing and data collection methods.. the show is great, but i constantly find myself calling them out on like sixteen points between each commercial break where they dont follow good scientific method, and miss obvious things that would make the experiment in question more solid...

I personally think just about everyone on the show is more or less constantly high on something, and try to see what each person is on, each episode.. "that guy just looks blazed, hes gotta be on some painkillers, this dude almost seems like he has been freebasing, and i think he got ahold of to many antidepressants.." but they have fun. :drunk: I just rarely hold a myth that they bust, as truly busted. It happens, but not often... I haven't watched the show a great deal (maybe 10 episodes or so??) because i dont watch ANY TV at my house, only when im over at a buddy's or my parents.. but it seems like their experimental methods leave alot to be desired before using them as a primary reference :lol:

Off topic....

• 1 month later...