Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-sized blower

Just found this:

http://www.centaurforge.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PB50VS and immediately thought of you guys. If it can produce 500 CFM with 1/5 hp, and is engineered to stand up to the heat on my brother-in-law's coal forge....

Wouldn't it work on one of our motors? I am gonna start scouring barn sales for old forge blowers. I saw one go at an auction about three years ago, I know it was under $100. I bet they're available on eBay. I bet this might work pretty good. The question that immediately comes to mind is, "well, yeah, sure it'll give you 500 CFM; but will it produce pressure?" I think there might only be one way to find out, and I'll let youse guys know in a couple paydays.

Might be on to something here.

HAHAHAHA!

You realize that thing is about as heavy as an EA81 engine right? That's a BIG unit, and runs off 115v. At 12v DC, you would need about a 2500 Watt inverter to run that sucker (191.6 amps at 12 volts according to my calcs.... so about 2300 watts, but inverters only run about 90%

effeciency). Here's one:

http://www.invertersrus.com/2500w-gp01.html

Now you need to power that bad boy - figureing 195 amps for the blower, and another 1 amp for the inverter.... plus you need at least around 40-50 amps left over just for the vehicle electrical system..... so you are going to need a 250 amp alternator for all that stuff, and lets figure on at least two MONSTER heavy duty truck batteries. Lets figure out the cost:

$500 for the 250 amp alt (hard to find these, and that's a low estimate)

$180 for the inverter

$200 for batteries

$358 for that crazy shop blower thing

$1238 for a few peices that can collect dust in the garage till you get the rest of the stuff you need to hook it all up because I didn't figure anything yet for cables, mounting hardware, gigantic relays, fuses, and all the other stuff you would need.

Now, besides the fact that this all this stuff would add up to more weight than your wife and kids in the car with you.... you wouldn't gain enough HP with a 500 CFM electric blower to be worth the weight gain, nor enough to counteract the 250 amp draw from the alternator.

Lets just assume you did it anyway.... when the inverter overheats and shuts down because you have been using it at max capacity for too long, how are you going to bypass the blower motor?

:rolleyes:

GD

That is all assuming I use electrical power to run it, I don't plan on doing that, for all the reason youse guys described. The electric motor has to hook up somehow, presumably with a shaft. So there's no reason it can't at least be tried with belts and pulleys like regular folk do things all the time. Don't be so quick to pooh-pooh a new idea. Worst-case scenario, it don't work, and I have a air source for my forge at home, to fab up parts and do other cool things.

Really, guys. If no one had ever thought of a Flat-4, we would all still be running our wagons on bearskin knives. It's nice that I have so many people willing to tell me what ain't gonna work; but who is ready to put their rig on the line to see if it can?

Me, that's who.

Those impellers are generally attached by heating them with an acetylene torch to expand the hole for the motor shaft. It will likely be extremely difficult to remove, and just as difficult to re-attach to a new drive system.

A better alternative for mechanical forced induction would be the blower from a thunderchicken super coupe (cheaper too).

GD

That is all assuming I use electrical power to run it, I don't plan on doing that, for all the reason youse guys described. The electric motor has to hook up somehow, presumably with a shaft. So there's no reason it can't at least be tried with belts and pulleys like regular folk do things all the time. Don't be so quick to pooh-pooh a new idea. Worst-case scenario, it don't work, and I have a air source for my forge at home, to fab up parts and do other cool things.

that'd be a supercharger... why not just but a normal s/c and bolt that on instead of fiddling with an electic one like that and changing it so it runs on pulleys?

http://search.ebay.com/electric-supercharger

now mind you these are gimmicky things... they don't actually work all that well.. my buddy (a sucker for the ricer performance crap) had one on his old car... according to him he could only feel it in 3rd gear...

and i;'m pretty sure somebody flinstoning it up would produce more power then one of these bad boys...:rolleyes:

might wanna give one of these little guys a try... it couldn't hurt really... only 40-50 bucks or so...

lol there is even one showing it on a new suby (ebay listing)...

I always wanted to get ahold of a nice, 1+ horsepower chainsaw engine to run an auxiliary supercharger on my Zcar.. i had the idea way before i even understood what supercharging was (i was explaining this idea to my dad and he said "yah, thats what a turbo does. and a supercharger." i was 14 or 15) and a couple years before i ever saw the ricer ebay things show up.... i still think it would work, too. just gotta keep two engines running :- )

just get an Eaton M62 Supercharger from a mercedes. it's a proven setup. and, assuming the crank pullies are the same size as an EJ22, should produce 5-6psi of boost. and cost less than that thing (if you're patient, they can be had on ebay for less than $300.) AND, the eaton has an electronic clutch on the pully, so you can disengage it, and have the engine run just like stock!

it's an interesting idea, but highly doubt it'll work like you'd hoped. I bet the drag on the crank to turn something that big will far outweigh the little bit of boost that the poor motor could handle.

Looks like a centrifugal blower. Read up about them to make sure that's the kind of (peaky) power delivery you want.

Don't listen to poo poo offerings from people who haven't and never will try things like this. If you want to give it a try, do it!

I'm trying to get hold of an eaton for my ea engine. Probablt a M45 from a mini cooper s

Just found this:

http://www.centaurforge.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PB50VS and immediately thought of you guys. If it can produce 500 CFM with 1/5 hp, and is engineered to stand up to the heat on my brother-in-law's coal forge....

Wouldn't it work on one of our motors? I am gonna start scouring barn sales for old forge blowers. I saw one go at an auction about three years ago, I know it was under $100. I bet they're available on eBay. I bet this might work pretty good. The question that immediately comes to mind is, "well, yeah, sure it'll give you 500 CFM; but will it produce pressure?" I think there might only be one way to find out, and I'll let youse guys know in a couple paydays.

Might be on to something here.

500 CFM really isnt worth the effort in this configuration. Its the right size, but it needs to be exhaust driven.. Especially when you consider you have to power the thing with a large electrical current. Also the cost of the extension cord is going to be a bit much.

nipper

Yeah but you can accerlerate like crazy until the plug pulls out of the wall!!

You're all pretty much right, it might be more hassle than it's really worth. But if I could get 6-7 pounds of boost out of the thing with minimal fabrication and hassle, it might be worth it. Until I start burning holes through pistons and melting spark plugs. I dunno. Seems a lot less interesting now that I'm sober.

Yeah but you can accerlerate like crazy until the plug pulls out of the wall!!

You're all pretty much right, it might be more hassle than it's really worth. But if I could get 6-7 pounds of boost out of the thing with minimal fabrication and hassle, it might be worth it. Until I start burning holes through pistons and melting spark plugs. I dunno. Seems a lot less interesting now that I'm sober.

:-p :drunk:

nipper

now mind you these are gimmicky things... they don't actually work all that well.. my buddy (a sucker for the ricer performance crap) had one on his old car... according to him he could only feel it in 3rd gear...

That (ebay scam) is not a turbo or supercharger, its just a squirrel cage blower. They are normally rated for under 2 inches H2O air pressure, not PSI!.

1 inch H2O = 0.036127 PSI.

I came across spec's on one that looks an awful lot like the ebay item, it is rated at 0.0" static air pressure for the given CFM. (No boost)

Now if you electrically powered a real turbo charger compressor or a roots (supercharger) you could theoretically get rid of the lag.

I do.

Now if only I could spare the $$$. Blown EA-82 SPFI anyone?

blown? you just THOUGHT of the idea and you already blew the engine? :lol:

mustve been an EA-82 then... paper headgaskets FTW

(edit: for the record, that was dry wit, not misinterpretation of the term "blown")