Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Most aggressive stock size tire???

jk4138

I have an 87 GL DR Wagon that has 185/70R13's on it right now. I was wondering if anyone knows what the most aggressive stock size tire that is out there. I am looking for a tire like the BF Goodrich All-Terrain style tread pattern but want something that I don't need to do any cutting or put a lift on it. Thanks for the input.

i seen some studless snow tires at les schwab that were wicked. i wish i could afford them right now. ill get a link asap

I have an 87 GL DR Wagon that has 185/70R13's on it right now. I was wondering if anyone knows what the most aggressive stock size tire that is out there. I am looking for a tire like the BF Goodrich All-Terrain style tread pattern but want something that I don't need to do any cutting or put a lift on it. Thanks for the input.

haha, a BFG A/T is a good tread? what are you doing? there isn't anything that you can do with those tires, that you can't do with your average el-cheapo all-season (and the all-seasons will get better traction in the winter!).

truth is, you've got almost zero options, beyond a nice snow or all-season tire. tirerack.com (huge selection in my experience), only shows 9 different tires available in that size. there's one type of blizzak studless snow tire...and the rest are all-seasons.

in fact, it's hard to find stuff with decent tread that fits on an old subaru WITH a lift!

I have some bridgestone wintersrx's on 15" rims and they work great(when they touch the ground) dont seem to gain traction when suspension is unloaded and one front tire is off the ground and one rear tire is touching but not enough traction to grab anything...

oh yea the tires are about an inch bigger than stock...205/55(or60)15

I need to add my thoguhts here. Bfg all terrains are an awesome tire. and thats comming from a guy that has driven on alot of diferent tires from performance street tires all season tires all terrain tires and dedicated mud tires. My all time favourite tire is a swamper ssr but a bfg all terrain is definatly in my top 5 fav tires and will out perform alot of snow tires Ive driven on.

End rant.

on to helping you on a budget though, a snow tire is probably your best bet for an aggressive small tire. look for something with sharp edges and some good spacing between the lugs, that will allow dirt mud and other stuff to not get trapped inside the tread turning your off road tire into a drag slick. Your best place to find them cheap will be your local auto wrecking yard I used to exclusively buy my snow tires there for my dirt track race car.. they should sell for around $25 to $30 for a pair. Yep, snow tires on a dirt track race car. And by the way, when they stopped letting us run snow tires on the track guess what I ran? uh huh, 27" BFG AT's originally purchased for my sub. got them at the wrecking yard for $50 for the matched set of 4 with about 90% tread.

Keep in mind most snow tires will have a softer tread compound and will wear faster on pavement. go ahead and leave in any studs for winter, they will help off road too but don't forget to dig them out in the spring. An ice pick and a pair of diagonal wire cutters work well for that.

• 2 weeks later...

since you live in spokane, wa. go to your local les schwab tire center and check out the wintertrax studded snow tires. i put a set of 185/80-13 on my 86 gl wagon w/dr trans before i went wheeling with some guys from work and worked really well. they are almost 25" tall tires which was alittle taller then stock which was what i was looking for to get extra ground clearance after i cranked up my struts. i have also used them on my 89 dl wagon and most recently on my 84 gl wagon with a lsd in it, lots of traction. the tread is pretty aggressive looking and work well in snow and mud, when spring hit i just removed the studs and run them like that they didn't seam to wear very fast either. chaz

i found a discontinued tire from toyo at les schwab. they had been sitting in the back for like 4 years. Very agressive. All was good till i ruined 1 and needed to replace it. Lucky theres 15 hiding somwhere and they got 1 to me. They ordered 3 extra for my just for the hell of it. I like them but im doing the 6lug conversion. Already have the 15's just having trouble with tires that will fit. Now ill have a set of almost bran new tires and stock and 13 enkis just chillin.