Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone put a sbc into a subaru XT

It's been done on an EA81 as far as I have been told, there is plenty of underhood room for a small block. I thought about doing that with my old DL Wagon, but then I got a little more creative-

3.0l Ford v6, turbocharged to produce about 375hp, 400ft/lbs tq, adapted to a Porsche 5speed transaxle. 8point roll cage, and a clear cover over the engine so it was clearly visible through the side windows. Should have been good to play around in, but unfortunetely, that car went away before I was able to get really going on mods aside from measuring and planning.

I still don't see the point in putting V-8's in alot of things. They suck gas and are overrated as bad as charlie brown's christmas special.

Thats funny that you say they suck gas!! you think the subaru gets good fuel milage? I havent seen them do that great, inless your talking older 2 wheel drive with a 1200 (whats the point with 2 wheel drive). I have owned most of them and never seen more then 26 mpg A nice V8 in a small rig does real well ( buddys toyota gets 24 with sbc 350 AT )

So maybe your point is overrated as bad as charlie brown's christmas special

Thats funny that you say they suck gas!! you think the subaru gets good fuel milage? I havent seen them do that great, inless your talking older 2 wheel drive with a 1200 (whats the point with 2 wheel drive). I have owned most of them and never seen more then 26 mpg A nice V8 in a small rig does real well ( buddys toyota gets 24 with sbc 350 AT )

So maybe your point is overrated as bad as charlie brown's christmas special

As I was saying I found 26 post on here with people geting 24MPG or less with there subarus!!!!!

SAS in a XT has been done, but it was a XT6 which has plenty of room in the engine bay for something else. It had plenty of torque with the ER27 for the solid axles, but he couldnt see squat in front of him.

There is another member who had a small block Chevy in his Hatch, but the engine was tired and he ended up toasting it and swapping in another EA81 (I think).

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/3017xt6-061.JPG

As I was saying I found 26 post on here with people geting 24MPG or less with there subarus!!!!!

Yet, my 88 Wagon got 35mpg on the highway. It was a 4WD D/R car.

Compared to a 4 cylinder Subaru, a V8 will suck gas. but if that's what you wanna put in it, I say, cool go for it. Not my choice, but then again, you're not me.

my lifted EA82 easily got 28 mpg. my EJ-swapped loyale gets the same in the city under my lead foot. made a little road trip with our String Quartet. 4 people, instruments, and stands. usually cruising at about 60. easily saw 32 or more.

a V8 will suck more gas than a subaru motor. assuming their both running well. I dont see why you bother arguing it. especially since you obviously don't want to do it for the mileage.

my lifted EA82 easily got 28 mpg. my EJ-swapped loyale gets the same in the city under my lead foot. made a little road trip with our String Quartet. 4 people, instruments, and stands. usually cruising at about 60. easily saw 32 or more.

a V8 will suck more gas than a subaru motor. assuming their both running well. I dont see why you bother arguing it. especially since you obviously don't want to do it for the mileage.

easily saw 32 or more what? Sasquatches along the road?

Man I give up You MPG guys are all the same!!:lol:

Lumpycam's Uhatched had the chev V6 in it - he said he could shoot some serious rooster tails with it. But he had a 10" lift and nissan t-case in it too. He was actually the first guy to put a t-case in a subaru - that was back before WCSS5 when my wagon was still 2WD :lol:. He hasn't been on the board in a couple years now, but someone with pics from WCSS5 might be able to give some details.

He made a custom adaptor plate and mounted the V6 to the 5 speed D/R with a custom engine mount setup - since the cross-member was dropped 10" fitment wasn't much of a problem.

GD

easily saw 32 or more what? Sasquatches along the road?

Man I give up You MPG guys are all the same!!:lol:

hello...hello...anybody there? type of driving, city/highway, condition of motor...etc all make a difference. EA82's are capable of 40+ mpg (XT models running all highway miles). EJ22's are capable of 35 mpg...are capable of..note the language, no stock V8 driven normally is going to come close to that. all soobs don't get that, depends on transmission, condition of vehicle, how it's driven and what kind of driving is being done. but the bottom line is that a V8 can't get mid 30's or better. if gas mileage is a concern...get a soob that gets good gas mileage, they exist. V8's that do that do not. that there are soobs getting under 26 mpg means what...nothing. it means there are people driving there cars short distances, city driving, driving them hard, they aren't in good tune. your buddy with the V8 isn't getting 26 mpg driving in stop and go traffic or off-roading a 15 year old motor with 200,000 rough miles on it...that's likely his best, highway mileage and an engine in excellent condition. compare apples to apples...or at least something round next time you're trying to make a point.

yes a V8 was put in an XT6....barely.

A V8 could be built to get high mileage. Some of the new systems that can shut down 6 of the 8 cylinders for cruising could do it. Couple that with variable valve timing (or even electro-motive valve actuation) and it can certianly be done. Weight and aerodynamics play a part too. A well designed low-weight vehicle that can run on less than all 8 cylinders for cruising purposes really doesn't have all that many disadvantages compared to a 4 cylinder engine - especially one from the 80's :rolleyes:

That said, I don't really care what his mileage is, because while he may smile at the pump, that smile turns upside down when he gets the insurance and the car payment bills. And it's still more economical overall to own a small 4 cylinder car - tires are a LOT cheaper for example.

GD

i've quoted you saying that on other boards

Heh - sure is a good thing I'm an atheist...

But seriously - brand loyalty is stupid. Car companies are out to make money, and the marketing and sales people drive the company. Not the engineers. Leave an engineer to design something and it will NEVER get released because he always has a "to-do" list of improvements and changes that he wants to make. The company could give a crap about YOU, so why all the loyalty? If I find a part off a pontiac that works well, and I feel is better designed - damn straight I'm using it. I take every advantage I can get. I run certain models of cars because they suit my purposes - both functionally and economically. I don't buy on "brand" I buy (ideally) cars that are 5 to 8 years old, have proven track reccords, and fit within my budget and intended purpose. The older subaru's (EA's) fit my needs well, and I have collected a ginormous stash of parts for them. But I wouldn't hessitate to consider ALL my options if I needed something with different functionality.

Here's a better quote for you: A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others, and a stupid man never learns at all."

Be a WISE man - don't be the guinea pig for some new model. Let the copius amounts of blind consumers test it out for ya first.

GD

Would make more sense to do a mid engine. Put it in the back seat and use the strong XT6 transaxle to drive the rear wheels only. I'd find an aluminum small block instead of cast iron.:eek:

Wayne

i was told by a guy out here that he had thought of putting a 350 in an xt-6 he said physically it would fit but i just don't see the point of it as it would ruin the car as anything but a 1/4 mile car

I took one look and thought it could be done on the ea82 soobs a long time ago. just keep it rwd and possibly hack the bellhousing area to keep it low. I found a chevette with a 350 on the net, vid shows it running and moving. As long as the engine isn't transverse (like an inline 4 FWD) the body is designed for a v- flat engine type signal. Hack away! that would be interesting for say a drag strip show etc.:)

A v6 would be very realistic, v8 would be phenomonal.

Fuel mileage in the 20's on the highway? The 1781 must have errors. Just tuning one up brings 20's in the city, unless emissions has gone wild.

Weight. Find a way to hold up the front end with the V8 in it before you do much else. Oh, and BTW, a 302 is a SBF, a 305 is a SBC.

Seriously, there are plenty of perfectly good american cars from the 80's that came with v8's in them that can smoke just as much tire., and probably for longer without the rear end grenading.

I don't see the point.

Stick the V8 in a Volvo, at least then other people wouldn't see it coming. Here's grandma in her old 240.... Wholly Shiz!! it's whippin nuts!