Ultimate Subaru Message Board

here it comes

86BRATMAN

over the weekend i started with the first stages of the swap, i pulled the ea motor and trans from the brat and the ej stuff from the wagon,

i put the trans in the brat first, this is gonna need some serious work on the trans tunnel to get it to clear and be setting at the right angle,

after seeing that i went ahead and put the motor in just to see what it would look like, i've only got one pic loaded up so far, dial up and big pictures on photobucket don't mesh too well, but here it is

thruthegrill.jpg

i'll have some more on here a little bit later this week as i load up the others and take a few more while its in there,

before it goes together for good, or till i upgrade again anyway, i'm gonna get a clutch setup, and clean everything up real nice and pretty like,

oh and i'm buying a used wrx turbo and tmic tomorrow for $100 from a friend of mine who upgraded, so i'll have some shots of that too

here are a few more pics of the brat

emptybaybeforeheadlightassyremoval.jpg

testfitpic1.jpg

testfitpic2.jpg

this is just a shot of where i removed the jack holder, gonna put the battery over here, primer is just temporary till i paint the bay black after i pressure wash 21 years worth of crud and axle grease out of it

removedjackholder.jpg

this is the old motor, still in good shape if anybody needs one

oldea81.jpg

i had these seats sitting in my storage building from a trade a few months back, i think they will look pretty good in there after i change the interior color to the black and charcoal grey when it warms up again, interesting part of these is all i had to do was take the sliders off my worn out stock seats and drill one hole into the rearmost part of them, width on the bottom of the seats is perfect

racingseattestfit.jpg

for the motor mounts themselves i used the stock ones on the ej, mine had the round mounts on it already, if it had the square ones there is a locating nub that has to be ground off...

as far as putting into the crossmember the holes have to be opened up about 1/4 of an inch towards the outsides of the car, then it just dropps in,

i'm using the ej tranny with the swap, there isn't anywhere it will mount to very easily i'm going to work on a custom crossmember mount this weekend weather permitting, and i've gotta cut/beat on the tunnel in the car some since the ej tranny is a good bit bigger than the 4spd d/r i pulled out,

i'll have some pics of that as i go thru the process

• 2 weeks later...
you manage to score that turbo leggy??

You had mentioned in another thread that the cold weather in recent weeks has hindered further progress, but when I re-read this thread, I wondered about whether this was gonna be a TURBO Brat :burnout:

unfortunately not yet, last time i spoke with them they didn't know what they wanted for it, and didn't know where the title was at, knowing how much they liked the car i didn't throw in my isntinct comment "like i really need that!"

i'm hoping if i just happen to show up in a week or two with some cash they'll remember where they placed said title

was your ej already turboed?NA ej22 do not like to be boosted.

says who? I've got a buddy running 10psi through his EJ22E, with no aftermarket management. he's put about 15k miles on it since then, and it runs as good as it ever did. dyno in a month or so....

I intend to push about 6-7psi through mine this summer....

sweet swap. can't wait to see it finished!

:headbang:

says who? I've got a buddy running 10psi through his EJ22E, with no aftermarket management. he's put about 15k miles on it since then, and it runs as good as it ever did. dyno in a month or so....

I intend to push about 6-7psi through mine this summer....

sweet swap. can't wait to see it finished!

yeah and then there is what doug V has done to some poor ej22e's:headbang:

additionally, if you put some different heads on it like ej20g or ej25 to lower the compression and improve flow, the ej22e stock shortblock can do a good 300whp all day. a few people running that with big garretts. they are forged rods and crank, the pistons are meh but ok unless you start detonating. open deck is a non issue for what the stock pistons can handle.

:headbang: yeah and then there is what doug V has done to some poor ej22e's:headbang:

additionally, if you put some different heads on it like ej20g or ej25 to lower the compression and improve flow, the ej22e stock shortblock can do a good 300whp all day. a few people running that with big garretts. they are forged rods and crank, the pistons are meh but ok unless you start detonating. open deck is a non issue for what the stock pistons can handle.

if i can't get ahold of the t leg i'm gonna try to get a set of the pistons from it anyway, and ecu from somewhere,

the friend you are speaking of, numbchux, could you get some details of his setup for me please,

the friend you are speaking of, numbchux, could you get some details of his setup for me please,

like what? nothing to it. custom headers and up-pipe to go behind the xmember and axle, (no need for turbo crossmember). TD04 WRX turbo, WRX TMIC, aftermarket boost controller. that's it. stock motor, stock ECU, stock injectors. he added an AFR meter, and he's been pretty close to stoich. He runs an e85 mix to raise his octane, but other than that, nothing fancy.

he goes to the dyno at the end of march (same dyno day I'm going to....hopefully), after which, he'll be adding a rising rate fuel pressure regulater, and larger injectors, and turning up the boost even more.

his motors got 230k miles on it, 15-20k since the boost. still gets 160psi compression at all four corners.

the most important thing to remember here, is he's got a built EJ22t closed deck turbo motor in his garage. he has no intent of allowing this motor to last. his only goal is to blow it into little pieces. BUT, so far, no signs of damage.

then there's dave, reddevil, who's got a supercharger on his 90 legacy. he blew a few motors at 7psi or less with a piggy back ECU for fuel control once he started using the Nitrous.

like what? nothing to it. custom headers and up-pipe to go behind the xmember and axle, (no need for turbo crossmember). TD04 WRX turbo, WRX TMIC, aftermarket boost controller. that's it. stock motor, stock ECU, stock injectors. he added an AFR meter, and he's been pretty close to stoich. He runs an e85 mix to raise his octane, but other than that, nothing fancy.

he goes to the dyno at the end of march (same dyno day I'm going to....hopefully), after which, he'll be adding a rising rate fuel pressure regulater, and larger injectors, and turning up the boost even more.

his motors got 230k miles on it, 15-20k since the boost. still gets 160psi compression at all four corners.

the most important thing to remember here, is he's got a built EJ22t closed deck turbo motor in his garage. he has no intent of allowing this motor to last. his only goal is to blow it into little pieces. BUT, so far, no signs of damage.

then there's dave, reddevil, who's got a supercharger on his 90 legacy. he blew a few motors at 7psi or less with a piggy back ECU for fuel control once he started using the Nitrous.

I'm not too concerned with longevity myself, ej22's can be had from one junk yard near me for about 150-200 even if they take it out. My motor has around 218k on it when i took it out of the leg, and I should have the td04 and wrx tmic this weekend. I'm thinking about getting the x-member from an 83 turbowagon just for the use of my buddies stock manifold and uppipe, since he said i could have it.:headbang:

Just for precausion I would probably get bigger injectors, something like wrx stock or 300zx turbo's, before i'd throw it all together. And the rising rate reg, or FMU depending on who makes them, wouldn't be out of the question. And I can get the 100 octane gas from the airport, i think its going for around 3.50-4 a gallon these days.

And I have never been a fan of nitrous, I have personally seen too many professionally tuned cars blow apart using it to ever consider going that route. Only one place i would use it, and that is on the ic.

methanol injection is getting pretty big these days, and it can do some impressive things to otherwise stock cars with turbos on them.

I've heard many good things about these kits, but some of them have a good sticker shock with them. I've considered making the kit myself when the time comes. I'm more worried about breaking the trans when it comes down to it.