Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing Wood From Cylinder

Thanks for all the input guys! This is one hurdle I never want to jump again. The story goes that we were trying to get this car running, and thinking the timing might be off, we set about checking it. The mark on the crank pully was too small to be seen with our timing light. When we did get it timed, the disty was adjusted WAY over, so to find out if the timing mark was in the right spot, I stuck the pencil in and hand turned the engine to check TDC (Paul wins the guessing game!). SNAP!!! Broken pencil and bruised ego...

What do you guys think about just starting the engine and hoping the peices get blown out? Oh, this was the end of a colored pencil, so there is no metal in the cylinder.

(Paul wins the guessing game!).

:banana: :banana:

What do you guys think about just starting the engine and hoping the peices get blown out? Oh, this was the end of a colored pencil, so there is no metal in the cylinder.

No,don't start it,there's hope first.

3M doublesided tape,like I mentioned or that blue gummy stuff,whatever you trust for adhesion.The tape I mention will not fail,it absolutely will not fall off inside.If anything it'll stick to the wall a little and leave a little glue residue.I've done commercial vinyl tile with this tape.(the clear tape,not the white foam core for carpet,that's not the one for this application)Thin rod that you can flex a little too.Good luck G!

Or Rob's vacuum method too.Kind of snap the vac. hose off the hole to get it to lift itself "end out".

• 1 year later...
I have never done it but a hat pin maybe, if the grabbing tool does not work.

The vacuum might work if you had a small hose in end of regular vacuum hose. I would try many things before I pulled the head.

That's how I got a bunch of metal shavings out of a cylinder...:-\

Colored pencil, huh? One of those cheap ones with real soft "wood" subsitute/composite crap? Try a knitting needle. (this was my wife's contribution, by the way...)

By hand, bar the engine over SLOWLY!!!!! until you can see the piston and hopefully the piece of wood through the spark plug hole. DO NOT crush the wood into the head!! Next, using the piston crown to back it, stick the knitting needle into the wood, and ta-da! out it comes.

This theory would also work really well with the above mentioned sticky-tape, blue-tack, chewing gum, duct tape, etc. adhesive idea.

Perhaps tape a piece of brake line onto your vacuum, so you could apply vacuum into the cylinder and onto the piece of wood itself, not just around the spark plug hole. You know, like lifting a piece of ice, or strawberry in your milkshake, by sucking it up with the straw. (maybe I'm the only one who does this...lol)

Hope this works out for you!!

88RXTuner

• 6 months later...