Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Outback H6 3.0, loaded. Headlights stay on till car is turned off. Will not turn all the way off by switch. Are they made like this or is there something wrong ?

Do you have an owners manual? if not try to get a hold of one, to explaine all the other goodies on the car.

nipper

I have a similar question. I have a 90 Legacy AWD wagon and my lights turn on when the ignition is turned and off when you turn the car off.

Is this normal? Basically, it's impossible for me to leave my lights on in the parking lot unless I leave the keys in the ignition in the run position.

Reason I ask is, I looked under the hood because I was going to rewire the headlights with better wires and I noticed it's all butchered up already. Someone already replaced the stock wiring. It's run in a completely different way than stock. I know this because I have 2 legacy's of the same year and the other one is stock and the wires for the headlights go into the harness. The ones on my daily driver go loosly hanging into the firewall. They're rusted too and not of good quality at all.

Either they replaced it because it quit working? Or they modded it so the lights couldn't turn on with the keys.

I have a similar question. I have a 90 Legacy AWD wagon and my lights turn on when the ignition is turned and off when you turn the car off.

Is this normal? Basically, it's impossible for me to leave my lights on in the parking lot unless I leave the keys in the ignition in the run position.

Reason I ask is, I looked under the hood because I was going to rewire the headlights with better wires and I noticed it's all butchered up already. Someone already replaced the stock wiring. It's run in a completely different way than stock. I know this because I have 2 legacy's of the same year and the other one is stock and the wires for the headlights go into the harness. The ones on my daily driver go loosly hanging into the firewall. They're rusted too and not of good quality at all.

Either they replaced it because it quit working? Or they modded it so the lights couldn't turn on with the keys.

It's normal for the lights to not work unless the key is the on position. It's to keep you from doing something not smart such as leaving the lights on and draining your battery.

It's normal for the lights to not work unless the key is the on position. It's to keep you from doing something not smart such as leaving the lights on and draining your battery.

yes there is a proper switch for draining the batteries :rolleyes:

nipper

"Either they replaced it because it quit working? Or they modded it so the lights couldn't turn on with the keys."

Why have you not checked it against your other Legacy?

As you say you have two, wiring issues aside, does it do this?

I'm corn-fused as usual.

Ahhhh yes, the Subaru "Virgin switch"

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" called me from her work the other day in a panic. It seems that the park lights wouldn't go off. She though for sure Kat was broken! I calmly explained about the switch on the column, and we had a good giggle.

Ahhhh yes, the Subaru "Virgin switch"

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" called me from her work the other day in a panic. It seems that the park lights wouldn't go off. She though for sure Kat was broken! I calmly explained about the switch on the column, and we had a good giggle.

Ah, reminds me of the days of my mommy's Loyale...that "newbie switch" came very close to getting me in deep poop on several occasions.

Yeah I know it more formaly as the Newbie switch, But its a smart idea, imean, its a good thing to have if you need to ditch your roo on the freeway or something at night, God forbid that could ever happen to a roo.

Uh...that's what hazards are for (which are also very conveniently placed on EA82s)!

• 2 weeks later...

This may be the result of the "battery kill" or "virgin switch" . There is a toggle switch on top of the steering column that turns on parking lights. See if you or someone else hit it by mistake. If so,, you are no longer a "virgin".;)

Just bought me a 1993 Baja as a companion to the 83 Brat, 1st thing i noticed is the lights wont shut off. Any know the Location to kill them?Thanks Rigid,