Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom Shift Knob Ideas

Hey guys, I have a 92 loyale 5spd and I was talking to one of the machinists at work and he said he can make me a shift know if i want. He just needs the measurements. Initially I was going to ask for something like this(without the blue)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-MANUAL-SHIFT-KNOB-ALUMINUM-JDM-ALTIMA-S13-S14-G35_W0QQitemZ200084766212QQcategoryZ33703QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But that's a little plain jane, you know? So what do you guys think any and all input is appreciated. :grin:

Don´t you Like a more "Metallic" Lookin´ Shift Knob? Like Mine:

Loyale_2_7_Shift_Stick.jpg

it is Wider to the Front, so it has Spaces for the Fingers... its "Jealöda" Brand of Germany, Stainless Steel, Heavyweight but Nice Feelin´

:) The only problem of a metallic Knob is Sunny / Cold weathers, that makes it too Hot \ Cold to Handle comfortably, so I usually Leave my Baseball Cap over it!

With this Short Shifter and the Cap over, the car seems to be like without Shifter! :grin:

Yea I remember your shift knob, sweet job btw, I'm definately not going with the ebay-style knob, especially b/c the machinist has access a lot of machines. Thing is only have a week to get it made before I'm done. So I'm tryin to find somethin really custom. Keep the ideas comin guys! :banana:

Ive did the whole metallic shift knob thing and only thing to say is be careful. Winter is a crappy time to learn that a metallic shift knob is the coldest piece of equipment in your car. Last thing you want is a cold shift knob when you are freezing to death yourself. I ended up having to wrap a hanky around it so my hand didn't stick to it like the fat kid off "Christmas Storty".

its 2WD and I am doin this for a number of reasons:

1. I will be cutting down my shifter a few inches so I'll need another knob, or need to rethread it.

2. I like customizing my car.

3. b/c I can and this will be the only time i have access to free metal and machines.

Hey guys, I have a 92 loyale 5spd and I was talking to one of the machinists at work and he said he can make me a shift know if i want. He just needs the measurements. Initially I was going to ask for something like this(without the blue)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-MANUAL-SHIFT-KNOB-ALUMINUM-JDM-ALTIMA-S13-S14-G35_W0QQitemZ200084766212QQcategoryZ33703QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But that's a little plain jane, you know? So what do you guys think any and all input is appreciated. :grin:

I HAVE THAT EXACT SHIFT KNOB! although i dont use it anymore, i switched it with the one from my old jetta, metal in the winter is not to fun to shift with, its like grabbing a snowball.

Heres mine:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/82Picture_106.jpg

Keep in miind that a WRX shift knob will work. And you can thread it down about an inch lower than stock with just a little work. I used a lug nut to cut the stock threads down the the point that the shifter flares out. Combined with the lower profile, it sits just perfectly.

Heres mine:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/82Picture_106.jpg

Keep in miind that a WRX shift knob will work. And you can thread it down about an inch lower than stock with just a little work. I used a lug nut to cut the stock threads down the the point that the shifter flares out. Combined with the lower profile, it sits just perfectly.

Did the lug nut cut them easily??? never heard of doing it that way

Don´t you Like a more "Metallic" Lookin´ Shift Knob? Like Mine:

Loyale_2_7_Shift_Stick.jpg

it is Wider to the Front, so it has Spaces for the Fingers... its "Jealöda" Brand of Germany, Stainless Steel, Heavyweight but Nice Feelin´

:) The only problem of a metallic Knob is Sunny / Cold weathers, that makes it too Hot \ Cold to Handle comfortably, so I usually Leave my Baseball Cap over it!

With this Short Shifter and the Cap over, the car seems to be like without Shifter! :grin:

JesZek, you have the coolest stuff!!!! im hella jealous