Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I get my Sti Key Blank to work?

You ask the guy how much experiance he has cutting CAR keys. This may be something you should do at a dealership or somewhere you KNOW has a competent key cutter. I think if you do it at a dealership and it doesn't work they have to replace it for free?

New gen keys will not fit EA81 or EA82 locks. You must use a Nissan blank.

GD

yes they will

i have an sti key for my xt-6 they are the same, although some times the new ones are to wide you have to file them slightly to get them to fit youll see what i mean when you get it cut, i just had the dealer cut it as a copy off my spare key

New gen keys will not fit EA81 or EA82 locks. You must use a Nissan blank.

GD

Wrong. For a time WJM was selling these precut from your VIN if he had it in the dealer database. I just am trying to find out what little trick it takes to work.

Also, I'm not quite retarded enough to go to a Home Depot, Lowes, etc... to get a somewhat special case key cut. I have a good key cutter/lock smith (thats all he does!) and it was HIM that requested I find out the "tricks" before he started cutting my key.

Thanks for the info Jeffast.

• 5 months later...

I've got an STI blank on my desk, and a standard blank for our '02 Forester. I'm planning on modding the standard blank and transferring the mods that work to the STI blank. So far, it looks like the STI one is too thick (can't find my vernier calipers right now), and the groove is not wide enough (looks like the groove spacing is pretty close, though. I'll try and get this going, and let you know what I find.

I bought an STi blank off of ebay for my RX.

Handed the blank and the original to the service desk manager at walmart. He matched the blank type with his blanks to set the machine, stuck my key and blank into the machine, and handed them both to me when the machine was done cutting. Didn't charge me.

No special steps, key worked perfectly.

I bought an STi blank off of ebay for my RX.

Handed the blank and the original to the service desk manager at walmart. He matched the blank type with his blanks to set the machine, stuck my key and blank into the machine, and handed them both to me when the machine was done cutting. Didn't charge me.

No special steps, key worked perfectly.

Can you post some pics of the STi key next to the original EA82 key?

They are not the same. In fact, the STI key is different than most Legacy keys, as well. (search NASIOC if you don't believe me).

If an STI key works in your EA-82, you locks and ignition switch are all work badly. More power to you, I guess - but usually almost any similar key will open and start the car when they get to that point, in my experience (started my '83 wagon with my dad's VW Golf key, IIRC).

I disagree... My XT-6 has a very tight ignition and doors.... the key is only slightly wider then a EA series key... not by much. When I had mine done, I had it cut by code.... and it didn't work right off... I had to smooth out the first 1/8" from a sharp point to a more swoopy smoothy thingy. (<-technical term) Anyway I used my pocket leatherman at the dealer and got it to work... even the parts guy was impressed.:-p

Heres a pic:

100_0793.jpg