Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bumper plastic blankener?

I've heard tire blacker works well, but I just wanted to make sure from more people before I go embarrass myself at the auto store buying the stuff.

Any other tricks people use?

I've tried serveral application of Armoral and things like it but they only work for less then a week. Then the plastic goes all grey again.

Also, what kind of glue woud you use to fix one of those "1800" stickers on the tailgate on?

I'm going to have to get a can of it and test it one some old bumpers to see if I like the finsh. I don't want it to look like glossy or matte paint. I still want it to look like the plastic that it is.

I'll talk to my bro as he works in a hardware store..

>>Also, what kind of glue woud you use to fix one of those "1800" stickers on the tailgate on

We use a very thin tack-adhesive film at work for similar material, it's a Tesa adhesive but there's a 3M equivalent. We buy it from a local company that does the badging for Toyota, HSV, etc - I could send you a small section of it if you want to try it. I'd assume that was what Subaru used in production.

Dean.

I seem to recall that heating the plastic will also turn it back to black, don't heat it with a flame, but with paint stripper style blowdryer :-p if you know what I mean.

don't know this for sure though! so try it on some jy bumpers or perhaps on the inside or something.

I used one of bondo's products. I got it at wal mart it is to re-blacken plastic bumpers and gaurds. I think it was around $7 and I used it on my vehicle about four months ago and it still looks good.:)

I've got that stuff....haven't tried it yet though.

My nieghbor does her Mini-Van's black plastic with liquid shoe polish. It looks great for a few months. Plus she wears her Bikini when she applies it!:banana:

Probably better stuff out there though...

Fat Tony

Sounds like a good process. where are the pictures?

ok i found this stuff made by turtle wax its called FORMULA 2001 it works great i used it (((after i cleand it off))) then spray it on and kinda rub it in. i used it like 3 months ago and i had been driving on dirt roads and i noticed it looked dirty. i though o great it didnt work eather but i went to the car wash the next day and washed the dust and stuff off and got home it looked liek, new even after it had dryed this stuff is amazing it says it protects against U.V. rays and u can use it on plastics,rubber and vinal and i think leather. try it its in a bright green bottle tall spray bottle.

Yeah, that sounds like the Armoural product.. I've stuck the rear sticker on with a very thin coating of RTV silicone. And it looks like it's working well :)

Still gotta do something about that trim, I'll just keep a look out for some of the stuff yous have been taliking about (since Australia gets many different stuff as well.)