Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi mack and welcome! To select tires, you really need to define what parameters are most important to you, such as treadwear, hydroplane resistance, etc, etc. For example, if you have dedicated snow tires, maybe you don't want an 'all season' tire. Tirerack has reviews on various tires; even if you don't buy from them. consumerreports rates tires as well. Sometimes the same tire will behave differently on different vehicles though...

Hi mack and welcome! To select tires, you really need to define what parameters are most important to you, such as treadwear, hydroplane resistance, etc, etc. For example, if you have dedicated snow tires, maybe you don't want an 'all season' tire. Tirerack has reviews on various tires; even if you don't buy from them. consumerreports rates tires as well. Sometimes the same tire will behave differently on different vehicles though...

Thank you! I want an all round great tire.

Tried your suggestions , tirerack had good to great reviews of this tire on my 2001. So looks very promising.

Am so glad this Message Board was suggested to me by my brother.

We have the TripleTreds on our minivan. They are excellent for that application, very good in dry and wet conditions. They haven't seen snow yet, and probably never will since we run Blizzaks in the winter.

The '99 Outback has Nokian WRs. They are also very good all around tires. Surprisingly, not quite as good as the TripleTreds or my old Michelin Harmonys in the rain. The need to be pumped up to 35 psi minimum to handle well (max allowed for the tire is over 50 psi!), but I find them to be very good in the dry - not a high performance tire, but still very good. In winter weather, they are about 80% of a Blizzak, far better than any other all-season and even better than conventional snow tires (without studs). But Blizzaks suck in the dry, and the WRs are plenty good enough for me.

Has anyone used the goodyear assurance tripletred tires for 2001 outback wagon? Getting new tires do not know which is best... want any advice you can giveThanks

Mac,

I have a 2002 Outback VDC since new, original raised white Bridgestone R92, or something tires wore well (58,000 miles) but I don't think they were as good overall as I would have liked, other than the miles. I did some research for about a year before replacing. It was between the Goodyear Triple Tread, and the Bridgestone G009. Well I ended up getting the G009's, since it seemed that quite a few reviews indicated that the Godyear Triples could generate some noise issues in some vehicles. I couldn't be happier in the choice I made. Pretty good price too, cool running. They give a nicer steering response. Even my wife can feel differance in handling. And THAT is saying alot. The wet handling is better, very secure through puddles. No idea in snow yet, but from ratings of tires the G009 was super high up in all catagories , so I am sure it will be an improvement over original tires in snow also. Check the reviews on the tire rack to judge for yourself.

I'm honestly surprised that you liked your G009s that much. I had a set on my 95 Legacy wagon and hated them. They were great on dry pavement, but slipped like hell when there was any bit of slickness on the road. To get out of my house I have to go up a 1% grade (or less) hill, and the G009s slip if there is any little bit of moisture. One day the pollen dust on the pavement caused me to slip.

While rolling they grip pretty well, though.

I guess my only comparison was with the original Bridgestones that came on the vehicle. They had great treadlife, but everything else was marginal at best. Have no way to compare the G009 with the Goodyear Triple except ratings though. Wet, and puddles at speed good. The snow test comes later this year, hope they are decent though. I would be happy with that.

We went with Cooper SLE H rated tires on my wife's Legacy. Got around 40K out of the stock Bridgestones and have about 34k on the Coopers with about 1/3 the tread left. They were $424 out the door with new valve stems and mounting. Wife likes they way they have handled and I am pleased wih the mileage. Considering the Bridgestones G009 myself as a replacement when these give it up. Mainly because our only local tire dealer has dropped the Cooper line. Said they were a pain to have to deal with. They handle OTR, big truck and passenger tires and had to deal with a different person everytime they called Cooper.

Cooper might be another tire to check into.

I just loaded my '95 Outback with Kelly Touring Golds. The sales guy drives a Subaru SVX, and these are what he's running. He "Banzai's" the mud & snow (His term) with these tires, and said they have done good. They're rated as 60K mile tires, and were just under $500, including front end alignment...After 500 miles no problems! (Go figure...):-p

+1 for Bridgestone Potenza G009s. I've had 3 sets of them(we used get them cheap at work) and for a basic touring tire, they're great. Pretty grippy in the dry, good in the wet, ok in snow, bad on ice, but all all-seasons are. For the money, they're good.

I just bought set #4 for the Forester... we'll see how that goes.

I have had the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on our 2002 OBW for about 2 years now. Have around 30,000 miles on them.

They are a good, all round tire. Decent in the rain, and good in the snow, though have never had to drive in anything over ~6 inches. Ony real complaint is a lack-of-responsiveness or mushiness, which I attribute to the soft, flexible sidewalls.

vin_ams, the G009s were on my short list also, before I opted for the goodyears.

Yokohama Avid TRZ

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ

I just got a set of these. Seem to be pretty good. These are UTQG 700 A B tires, they say they should last 80,000 miles. I guess we'll see about that.

They are hard, but I haven't noticed any dry traction problems. And since we are way back on a gravel road, I'd rather have the tougher rubber.

Yokohama Avid TRZ

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ

I just got a set of these. Seem to be pretty good. These are UTQG 700 A B tires, they say they should last 80,000 miles. I guess we'll see about that.

They are hard, but I haven't noticed any dry traction problems. And since we are way back on a gravel road, I'd rather have the tougher rubber.

In general, the higher mileage the tire is rated, the harder the rubber.

nipper

For winter I've got a set of Michelin Arctic Alpine's. Uber-Grippen Tire-Kinden!!!:grin:

Fat TOny - 95 Outback (Glorified Legacy?)

My experience with Arctic Alpins was terrible. On my '00 OBW a belt broke at 18k miles. Dealer response was give me $59 although I had to buy a set of 4. Opted to go with some Kumhos. We'll see how they work this winter.

On my wife's Chrysler AWD van they always pounded from new ... belt problem maybe? Got 26k out of them before they were completely shot. Great traction in snow but lousy build quality.

My experience with Arctic Alpins was terrible. On my '00 OBW a belt broke at 18k miles. Dealer response was give me $59 although I had to buy a set of 4. Opted to go with some Kumhos. We'll see how they work this winter.

On my wife's Chrysler AWD van they always pounded from new ... belt problem maybe? Got 26k out of them before they were completely shot. Great traction in snow but lousy build quality.

Thanks for the Heads Up. I got a GREAT Deal on these ($165 W/Steelies) with one month of use on them. My thoughts were to put these on from December - March, and then put the Kellys back on in the spring. I was hoping to get 2 or 3 Winters out of them, and the same out of the Kellys...Assuming the Outback holds up!:rolleyes:

Fat TOny