Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, they were OEM purchased at that dealer less then a year ago, they gave me a new set under warrenty for free to rule them out.

Problem solved though (we think):banana:

The exhaust valce clearance was set too tight. Dealer ordered a new set of shims today. Should have the car back on tuesday.

Make sure they adjust the valve clearance on the other head too.

Don't wait till it starts misfire on the other bank, get it right now.

Any time the heads are removed and installed the valve clearance needs to be checked and more often than not will need adjustment.

This is incredible...I got my car back finally after having the valve clearance readjusted. It no longer missfires, but continues to idle poorly. I accepted the possibility that the plugs were fouled from the missfires, and as I replaced them less then 100 miles ago with new NGK's I figured a little bit of driving should clean them up.

So I drove...Noticed the car was no longer missing, but when I came to a gradual stop from 70 mph on the highway (hit some very bad traffic) and put the clutch in to shift, the engine stalled. It started right back up though. When I finally got home I smelled coolant. Popped the hood and saw some steam from the radiator cap, noticed the fans were not spinning. I then looked back at the dash, the car had in fact overheated. Got underneath the car to find both fans were unplugged. This car has had a month and a half long ordeal at Loman Subaru on rt46 in Parsippany. They have yet to find the problem they created with the car, and now thanks to another mistake of theirs the engine has overheated for the first time in its life.:mad:

So, anyone have any suggestions on what may have been damaged here so I can have them replace it? At this point I'm ready to demand they replace the engine. It has a problem they can't identify, now its got this.

They have yet to find the problem they created with the car, and now thanks to another mistake of theirs the engine has overheated for the first time in its life.:mad:

Sure the fans should have been plugged in for power. However, on the positive side, with cold weather, and if you kept the car moving, and not in constant stop and go traffic, the motor would not have over heated that much to cause damage. Cold air being pulled into the radiator while driving would have kept the motor fairly cool.

Traffic was nice and light untill I hit rt280...where it was a nice stop and go pace.

This is strike three for the dealer.

Strike one, the car fell off the jack at their shop which broke the timing belt cover. They failed to mention this untill I went back the next day and demanded they replace it.

Strike two, the car missfired badly on cylinders 2 and 4 after they did the headgasket work. Turns out this was because the valves were not properly adjusted before put back on the car. It still does not idle properly, and tries to stall occasionally. This did not happen before I brought them the car.

Strike three, they forgot to plug in both cooling fans which led to an overheat.

At this point I am sick of the crap, I've been without my car for a month and a half and now this. Tomorrow I am going to the dealer and demanding they straighten this out.

Ed-stand true to your guns,let the dealer have it and don't give in.the dealer has been letting inexperienced techs gain experience at your expense(time),there is nothing wrong with this practice except they aren't having a master tech check the work

demand satisfaction and threaten them with BBB and SOA

A master tech did do this work, I've been talking to him every step of the way. SOA is definitely getting some letters to read after this, and the bbb will come into play if they don't rectify this situation.

A peice of paper on the wall, and a patch on the sleeve means nothing. Being able to fix cars is the key.

Either this "master tech" just doesn't care, or he can't fix cars.

I don't know what to say. Even if you could get them to replace your engine.........................do you really want them to do the work?

given the risk of head gasket problems due to overheating, i'd get SOA involved now. push for a replacemeent engine with a 3 yr 36 k warranty. if you can't get the new engine push for the 3/36 warranty on all of the repair work. 90 days or 1000 miles may not be enough. you could be driving a time bomb.

either the dealer can't or won't fix your car. they have created more problems than they fixed. SOA needs to know and you need your car in better condition than it was when you took in. at the very least you need new head gaskets again. SOA should either step in and take care of it or make sure the dealer does.... at no cost to you.

Well, after the overheat I began to notice an odd clunking noise occasionally on starting...it has since worsened. Sounds like a ratteling/metalic thud on cold starts and lasts about 2-5 seconds.

I'm thinking this dealer owes me a new engine. Any oppinions?

the dealer should do something to even this up, this is definitely not normal and not expected.

that being said....they do not make it easy to "replace engines" and do things on their own time. if they did, everyone would be doing it. it's going to take some effort, phone calls, and persistence. i hope you end up with a good car out of this.

and i agree...i'd hate the thought of having that dealer work on it any more, but they are certainly responsible.

First get the Service manager involved, if not already...

Then, get the General Manager (responsible for the dealer as a whole) involved...

Next, find the guy/gal with the same name as the dealer, "Loman" right? He/She tends to have a vested interest in your happiness as they own the place.

If it is a corporate entity skip that step and go for the DSOM (District Service Operations Manager, or something like that) from Subaru of America. The service manager should KNOW his name, and have his phone number available. You probably won't get his number, but you can make sure he calls and sets up an appointment to meet.

BTW Cherry Hill isn't too far away, is it? You could stand on somebody's desk there too.

Put a lawyer on retainer, and have your requests for reconciliation presented to the dealer on the lawyer's letter-head. This will get the ball rolling if nothing else did.

Be prepared to go to small claims cort (Check you area's dollar amount cap.) and document the hell out of everything, even if all you did was leave a message with the receptionist for someone to call you. Dates, times, names of those with whom you spoke, ect.

REMEMBER: The original HG failure was a "part" problem: Subaru's fault for possible bad engineering, or their supplier's fault for bad products. AND...The misfire and overheat belong to the dealer. Subaru will deny responsibility for it. Your best bet is to use Subaru to leverage the dealer into covering the cost of engine replacment and resurfacsing the heads.

Sorry you got burned, and I hope there is a solution for you sooner than later. PM me if you have specific questions on this...

Lewis

Update:

At this point, the engine is shot. I called the mechanic to tell him the knocking noise was now consistant, it happened every cold start, he told me to drive the car and bring it in monday. I proceeded to drive it, 24 miles into my commute the engine lost power and the knocking sound was back in full force. I pulled to the shoulder of the highway, immediately as I pressed the clutch in the engine died. It will not crank any more.

The car was towed to the dealer.

I demanded a refund and a new engine, the manager said I can't have both. Now I intend to get subaru involved as well as sue the dealer, I have a recording of the mechanic admitting fault on the 3 main issues.

Edit: I just got off the phone with SOA, they say they are getting in touch with the regional service manager as well as the manager from the dealer.

Update:

At this point, the engine is shot. I called the mechanic to tell him the knocking noise was now consistant, it happened every cold start, he told me to drive the car and bring it in monday. I proceeded to drive it, 24 miles into my commute the engine lost power and the knocking sound was back in full force. I pulled to the shoulder of the highway, immediately as I pressed the clutch in the engine died. It will not crank any more.

The car was towed to the dealer.

I demanded a refund and a new engine, the manager said I can't have both. Now I intend to get subaru involved as well as sue the dealer, I have a recording of the mechanic admitting fault on the 3 main issues.

Edit: I just got off the phone with SOA, they say they are getting in touch with the regional service manager as well as the manager from the dealer.

Sorry to hear the way this is turning out for you. I hope SOA will make it right for you.

Sounds like somebody should have their tools taken away from them.

Was this recording of the mechanic admitting fault obtained with him knowing that you were recording him? I have always thought that it is illegal to record a converstaion with someone without their consent. If you get a lawyer involed they will be able to advise you on that. Just would hate to see things get any worse for you.

Best of luck............I'm pulling for ya.:)

Sorry to hear the way this is turning out for you. I hope SOA will make it right for you.

Sounds like somebody should have their tools taken away from them.

Was this recording of the mechanic admitting fault obtained with him knowing that you were recording him? I have always thought that it is illegal to record a converstaion with someone without their consent. If you get a lawyer involed they will be able to advise you on that. Just would hate to see things get any worse for you.

Best of luck............I'm pulling for ya.:)

If it's anything like in Canada, you can record a conversation you are part of. What you cannot record (without a court order) is a conversation between two other people.

They had no idea I had a voice recorder in my pocket. I'll have to look into the legality there...

As long as you were part of the onverstaion, and not a third party. your fine.

Besides we arent talking to sending one to jail here, this would be a civil case, which allows for such things. There is a much lower standard to meet.

nipper

I spoke again with SOA's representitive. It seems that subaru is concerned only with me getting a new engine, they don't care one bit about weather or not I recieve any compensation, reimbursement, or even a loaner car.

The dealer tells me they still need to determine weather a replacement engine is warrented or weather they want to try to fix it. They'll get back to me on monday.

I'm ready to sue them not only for a reimbursement of the original headgasket work, but for my travel expenses while I've been without the car due to their errors, as well as compensation for missed time at work and school. Does this sound reasonable or am I loosing my mind, because as far as the manager and SOA are concerned, this is not warrented.

I would NOT agree to let them try and fix the engine you have. They have screwed it up bad enough already, and wasted enough of your time. What in the HE!! makes them think they can fix it anyway.

As far as compersation for everything eles. I don't know what to say.:-\

If you're serious about sueing the dealership then you'll probably want the advise of a competent attorney because the dealership probably has excellent attorneys on retainer and probably won't bluff if it comes down to it.

Small claims courts usually have a maximum amount you can sue for and alot do not allow attorneys to represent in the courtroom,so unless the dealership promised a rental or towing in the event of failure you probably won't get that, you might claim mental anguish but??? As far involving SOA in the lawsuit I personally wouldn't do it unless you can prove they've allowed this dealership to repeatedly perform substandard repairs and not honor their warranty or commitments. That's just my .02 and I'm not a lawyer,all I'm trying to say is be prepared because it might end up costing you more then the original repair or what the car is worth.