Ultimate Subaru Message Board

motor seized

my motor in my 87 gl ea82t seized today. I did an oil change the other day and the oil pressure wire somehow got stuck in the threads for my oil filter and all the oil leaked out there. Not sure what to do. What do i need to all rebuild it.

Thanks, Jason

i'd probably look into getting another engine. rebuilds are costly, the most economical solution if you're spending that kind of money is to let CCR do it for you, let their expertise and excellent warranty work in your favor.

or get a used one. i saw a $275 one for sale around here recently, which is a fair deal. if you can manage your engine wisely you could even install an NA block, they are far easier to find and cheaper.

of the handful of oil starved and frozen EA/ER series engines i've seen, typically the oil pump, cams, and connecting rod bearings all show signs of significant wear. it's probably rebuildable, but not something i'd undertake.

i'd probably look into getting another engine. rebuilds are costly, the most economical solution if you're spending that kind of money is to let CCR do it for you, let their expertise and excellent warranty work in your favor.

or get a used one. i saw a $275 one for sale around here recently, which is a fair deal. if you can manage your engine wisely you could even install an NA block, they are far easier to find and cheaper.

of the handful of oil starved and frozen EA/ER series engines i've seen, typically the oil pump, cams, and connecting rod bearings all show signs of significant wear. it's probably rebuildable, but not something i'd undertake.

i was worried about the crank journals for the main bearings, and you cant see those untill your deep in the engine.

nipper

PS everything can be rebuilt, but your wallet can't.

My car was not under load i was just cruising. Thanks for you guys input, I am done with these subarus. I am 17 and every weekend i am constantly working on them, i need to go and do kid stuff, there is never an end to all of my breakdowns.

My car was not under load i was just cruising. Thanks for you guys input, I am done with these subarus. I am 17 and every weekend i am constantly working on them, i need to go and do kid stuff, there is never an end to all of my breakdowns.

Part of owning a 20 year old car,a majority of us realized this a long time ago.

I am done with these subarus.
how about oil changes?
I did an oil change the other day and the oil pressure wire somehow got stuck in the threads for my oil filter and all the oil leaked out there.

kidding aside, there's only so much you can expect from a 20 year old vehicle. i would guess that you didn't buy a 20 year old vehicle because it was in excellent mechanical condition, all tune up items were addressed, it was a one owner car, or it was in pristine condition and top dollar vehicle. just a guess. usually it's the other way around, people drive 20 year old cars because that's what they can afford, they're comfortable with them, know something about them, they're easy to get, and they are reliable if you like the trade off of cheap reliability and 20 year old expected maintenance items.

but of course you know this, you're PO'ed that the car is dead, that is annoying for sure. good luck figuring out a solution.

It's got nothing to do with "Subaru's" - I don't expect you will understand that, but in a few years perhaps you will.

1. You are driving a 20 year old car. You can't restore and drive at the same time.

2. You caused the problem by your own inexperience - rather than checking for oil leaks you just drove away after working on the engine. That's a no-no. It's also not the car's fault, or Subaru's fault - If you had owned a Nissan would you swear you would never own another one if you had done this to it?

3. Learning to wrench is fine - but you have to understand that it's YOU that is causing a good percentage of your problems, and the need to work on it every weekend. Not always because you are doing things wrong, but often because your inexperience leads you to misdiagnose things, to fix things incompletely, and to either not notice impending failure items, or to not have the resources to take care of them in a timely manner - often causing further related, or collateral damage.

4.Your Subaru is a poor example of Subaru's in general. Without a doubt it was one of the worst engines they ever made. That's not to say it's a bad engine, but they are problematic - even for those who aren't 17 and have no experience with troubleshooting and mechanics.

Likely you will blow off my post anyway - like 99% of the people out there you are going to have to learn the hard way. But maybe you're the 1% that listens....

GD

Don't get so down on yourself and your former car. You have a lot to be proud of:

1. You actually managed to obtain or even OWN a car at 17;

2. The things you have (apparently) learned during your ownership have probably placed you in the top 20% of all car owners with respect to knowing what makes a car work; and

3. You'll never make your oil filter changes carelessly ever again.

You're way ahead. Now go find a nice Loyale. Mine just turned 231,000 miles and I've done three things to it in the past 12 months:

a. Changed the oil

b. Replaced a blower resistor; and

c. Put gas in it.

Caution: Loyale ownership can have a negative impact on your odds for a date. It's actually been great for my marriage.

Likely you will blow off my post anyway - like 99% of the people out there you are going to have to learn the hard way. But maybe you're the 1% that listens....

GD

They aren't easy things to swallow, but the points GD made were plain and honest truth; he doesn't candy-coat anything. The best way to summarize GeneralDisorder is "knowledgeable yet sometimes caustic." This post was a perfect example of it.

Heck, I tried to jump start my mom's Sable Station wagon backwards in the rain once.. I didnt LOOK at the +/- terminals on her car, I just thought about it from my memory and got em backwards, fried the alternator and something else (cant recall what, but it gave my dad a MAJOR hard time tracking it down) We ALL make dumb mistakes. Wisdom is knowing how much you don't know, and everyone on earth is born not knowing all the things GD pointed out. In terms of being a car-guy, his list is virtually a credo of "what I learned on-the-way.."

I mean, I can't blame FORD for me messing up the positive and negative, can I? I DO whine about fords and how their cars go together, but it has nothing to do with the late 80's Taurus/Sable battery location. (just everything else about the way they put their cars together. Decent engines, awful vehicles to work on. Poor planning.)

Like Rick said, hopefully you read the end of this thread and take heed.

If you think subaru's are trouble, you should try to keep a 20 year old chevy cavalier running.... :dead:

I have a 31 year old truck that's almost brand new (estate sale, the old guy kept it in the garage and amost never drove it). Alot of things about it are comparable to any new vehical, i.e. nothing's worn, runs nice, doesn't leak, etc... but alot of things are like any 31 year old vehicle... have to regap the points, adjust valve tappets, readjust the brake clearances, grease the u-joints, etc... stuff that you don't have to do on a new car because newer designs have superceded these older designs.

A better question is WHY

:grin:

:confused:

nipper

Sheer, twisted Masochism.

I always say that there are three ways to do something: the Right way; the Wrong way, and the Irish way, which is As Bloody Difficult As Humanly Possible. Cue the Cavalier.:clap:

A better question is WHY

:grin:

:confused:

nipper

Well... I don't. Alot of my friend's cars I'll help them with... but not this one... I did offer to find them an old subaru instead:)

Who decided to put the ignition module on the back bottom of the freakin engine anyway.... halfway under the exhaust manifold which can cook the electronics :-p and when the fuel injection rail starts leaking, it drips on the exhaust manifold and the cracked insulation on the ignition module.... :rolleyes: