Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 LLbean OBW- crappy handling

In general, handling isn't horrible.

Quick lane-change today (think accident-avoidance maneuver) was a bit ugly. I mean, a lot worse than my old '92 ranger pickup. Dug in with a lot of roll on the primary turn, fishtailed pretty bad on the straighten-out portion, and she wagged a few times after that.

Granted, I have Dunlop Graspic DS2s on there, not fabulous dry-road tires, but maybe the struts are gettin' weak?

TP is up to spec, just had it aligned.

I know its not a bloody porsche, but it did seem a bit worse than I'd expect.

Dave

Does your LL Bean have VDC? if not then maybe it's a Subaru handling trait.

From this month's issue of a 'leading consumer mag' on their road test of the new Legacy 2.5i:

"If a driver enters a corner too quickly and lifts off the throttle, the Legacy's tail can slide out and could cause the car to spin. Stability control should correct this problem, but it is not available on the trim level of our base 2.5i. ........It loses major points for handling that gets tricky in emergency maneuvers. "

It's a newer gen then yours, so I don't claim to know if the suspensions are the same.

And this is a pet peeve of mine w/Subaru...as not everyone is a skilled driver:

"Electronic stability control helps, but is only an option on higher-end versions and is not available on our base test car. "

Td

Does your LL Bean have VDC? if not then maybe it's a Subaru handling trait.

From this month's issue of a 'leading consumer mag' on their road test of the new Legacy 2.5i:

"If a driver enters a corner too quickly and lifts off the throttle, the Legacy's tail can slide out and could cause the car to spin. Stability control should correct this problem, but it is not available on the trim level of our base 2.5i. ........It loses major points for handling that gets tricky in emergency maneuvers. "

It's a newer gen then yours, so I don't claim to know if the suspensions are the same.

And this is a pet peeve of mine w/Subaru...as not everyone is a skilled driver:

"Electronic stability control helps, but is only an option on higher-end versions and is not available on our base test car. "

Td

No VDC.

And yeah, had I been a n00b, that would have been a spin into the ditch.

Throttle was neutral, though (just enough to maintain speed, about 65mph).

I know stiffer struts (firmer damping) would help a lot (that's why my ranger handled insanely well for a pickup, man could that thing carve an on-ramp), just wondering if this is subie-normal, or are my struts shot at 5 years/60Kmiles?

Wonder if the 6cyl makes this better or worse?

Dave

I have Dunlop Graspic DS2s on there
this is out of my realm of expertise...if i have any...but snow tires do suck for most anything else but driving in slick conditions.

i haven't "tested" the wife's OBS (the impreza hatch body style), but it seems to handle very well and doesn't roll/sway much at all. i doubt your existing struts are "bad", i think some minor suspension upgrades may help. hopefully others will pipe up and help with the specifics.

Td

That will happen in ANY car. A sharp lift while cornering unloads the back wheels.

It seems that people are such terrible drivers that the manufactures have to tune suspension so that the car won't even turn.

I would blame

A. the snow tires

B. the struts

C. you. Power is the best way to get these cars straightened out.

That will happen in ANY car. A sharp lift while cornering unloads the back wheels.

It seems that people are such terrible drivers that the manufactures have to tune suspension so that the won't even turn.

I would blame

A. the snow tires

B. the struts

C. you. Power is the best way to get these cars straightened out.

"C" is ineed part of it- had my truck so long, I could tell you very well exactly what it could or could not do, and how fast, and how far out the assend would slide, etc. The sube I've had only since October.

Need more practice in the subie! I've gotten lotsa snow practice, not much dry-pavement slaloming yet.

Dave

Consumer Reports magazine has always said that Subarus have a tendency to swing out the rear in their emergency lane change manuvers unless it has VDC. They say that it happens more if the throttle has been "let up" causing the rear to try to catch up to the front.

:-\

right Dave

warm in

hot out

drive off the apex

trailing throttle oversteer is not kewl

Guess I'm glad my 03 is a VDC.

mini rant and hijack

why does Subaru turn off the VDC when

the CEL is on? (from the manual)

Sorry I'll start my own post on that.

i'm not a fan of my snow tires, but man they are awesome in the nasty stuff. i'd be interested to hear how your non-snow tires work in the spring.
I have the DS2's

For the '94 the stockers are relatively new futura I think they are, I think it's the pepboys 4 tires $99 special; they were on there when I bought the '94 last summer. They seem to be ok, they seem a little sloppy though, like side to side movement wise. The '96 has bridgestone I think for the non-winter tires, those seem to be ok. '00obw has pirelli p400 they seem fairly good but one has a separated belt or something messed up with it that if I put it on the front it makes the car shake like crazy above 50mph but is fine on the rear.

I'd say the snows have a lot to do with it.

You could do a bounce test on the struts, but I'd replace the rear sway no matter what. Everyone who does says it is a huge difference.

A bigger rear swaybar makes the car more likely to snap around.

This is kicking around the outback board, and it looks like they are really sensative to tire pressure. 31 psi seems to be the magic number. Go higher then that and everything gets scary.

If you feel like reading 10 pages of posts

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11267&perpage=20&highlight=dangerous&pagenumber=1

One guy did extensive testing with dead weight in the car and air pressure

and 31psi may resolve it.

nipper

The same amount of weight transfers regardless of suspension stiffness. A bigger rear swaybar means more of that weight transfers to the rear tire, and that it happens more quickly. That makes the rear more likely to step out.

And firmer compression damping will slow the roll rate, which will lessen the total amount of roll.

Dave

not particularly. Springs and swaybars almost exclusively limit roll.

If you have a way, way, way overdamped setup, than yes they can do that. Auto-xers do it in the classes where you can change the struts but not the springs.