Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Understeer + wet roads...

= my RX into a guardrail. :-\

So last night, leaving Austin's house, I was coming down a pretty twisty road in my RX. Going like 15mph cause it was real wet, dark, and I didn't know the road at all. Comin up to a right hand 90 degree turn (recommended speed was 15mph BTW), I was on the brakes, downshifted into second and my driver side front tire hit the center double yellow lines. Well the brake locked up and it decided to head right for the guardrail. Bumped the rail with the corner of my bumper on the driver side, took out the corner light, put a small dent in the fender and then the back whipped right into it so there's a crease running from above the LR tire to under the tailight (also busted the bottom of the tailight too). Then to top it all off, right after the rail ended (since I only slid like 5 feet along it) there was a huge ditch that I plummeted into. Got out of it thankfully to a driveway being 3 feet away from the front of my car but I also smoked my clutch quite a bit.

Argh, time for widebody now I guess. Pics to come on my day off:dead:

Car isn't too bad, easily fixable (and thanks to homie hookups for possible bodyshop usage!) so I'm not too worried about it, just pissed at myself for havin it do that. Guess now is a great time to put my XT6 swaybar in the rear (which I've been waaaay to lazy to install).

Tex, I was coming down N Castle Way and it was the 90 degree right hand turn like 30 seconds from Austin's house. I was hanging out with Austin, Art and Matt:-p

Sounds like the typical L needs more static positive caster . You could probably fit spacers behind the rear of the radius (compression) rods to push the bottoms of the struts further forward . Reset the toe and see how it goes .

The larger rear anti roll bar will reduce roll and front camber/caster change so all good .

Being Stateside if you can lay your hands on the higher rated RX Coup springs I'd fit those as well .

I sure wish I could rat up 2nd hand the thicker rear bar and coup springs here in Australia , cheers A .

I suspect the RX has a LSD. If that's so, you'll find that it promotes understeer big time. It took me three rally cross events to learn to deal with the understeer when I installed a LSD in my rally brat.

On the other hand, once a wheel locks up, you're hosed no matter what.

Car isn't too bad, easily fixable (and thanks to homie hookups for possible bodyshop usage!) so I'm not too worried about it, just pissed at myself for havin it do that. Guess now is a great time to put my XT6 swaybar in the rear (which I've been waaaay to lazy to install).

Tex, I was coming down N Castle Way and it was the 90 degree right hand turn like 30 seconds from Austin's house. I was hanging out with Austin, Art and Matt:-p

Was it where the oncoming traffic (coming up that hill) have a stop sign?

Also... Russ's car is an RX by look, not neccasarily by anythng else. I doubt it has an LSD.

Everybody knows that to best defeat guardrails is to be already sideways entering the corner. Also, if you had a turbo, and some balls, you might have been able to gas out of it. (i've done it on that corner I talked about above)

+1 for what Tex says -drive off the apex.

and 15 MPH? only wet (not ice) and all that happened?

Maybe he has a speedo error also??

locked wheels do not steer but from 15 MPH?

The gaurd rail must be right on the edge of the road.

(i.e. no shoulder)

In Russ's defence, wet, dark roads must be traversed with

caution, which it sounds like he was exercising.

thats odd, my rx was very nuetral handling. the only time it ever understeered was in snow if the wheels locked up.as long as the wheels were spinning, it was like telepathy, it went where ever i wanted it to without effort. now my impreza understeers in snow and rain like none other, lol.

I am curious. How does a rear LSD cause understeer?
More traction in the rear tends to "push" the front end during turning. There might be more to that than my simple statement, but the effect on my Brat was significant when I installed the LSD. It required much more preparation for a turn than with the open diff. More throttle resulted in more "push" since there was more traction in the rear pushing the front end than with the open diff.

I solved the issue by changing my driving technique slightly as well as adding a rear sway bar to the Brat.

thats odd, my rx was very nuetral handling. the only time it ever understeered was in snow if the wheels locked up.as long as the wheels were spinning, it was like telepathy, it went where ever i wanted it to without effort. now my impreza understeers in snow and rain like none other, lol.

I could be wrong *i'm on a panda express orange chicken and mt. dew high* but I thought the 85-86 RX sedans were part time 4wd... which would mean it will drive slightly different than a ft4wd box does.

Russ, I need to see pics.

Agreed, it just tends to plow, when ya want to play. And the handbrake locks everything up. But lemme tell ya, she goes through some deep, deep snow. Dual range FTW!

I think I figured out why the LSD makes the car understeer.

If the LSD locks, then both back wheels will turn at the same speed, which will try to drive the car in a straight line. Especially if it is a tight corner, where there should be lots of difference between the inside and outside wheels. Sounds like understeer to me.

Thinking of that, no wonder they don't put LSD's on the front....

Thinking of that, no wonder they don't put LSD's on the front....

What are you even talking about? Cars with front LSD that come to mind:

DC2 integra type r

Mazdaspeed protoge

mazdaspeed 3

Subaru STI

Dodge Neon SRT-4 '05-on

True, they are all specialized sports cars, but that was kind of a blanket statement anyway.

Ok so EVERYONE is on the same page, my car is technically NOT an RX BUT it is minus the EA82T. The whole drivetrain is from my old '89 RX so it has the RX gearbox, rear LSD, complete 5-lug conversion with XT6 swaybar up front and RX swaybar in the rear. Springs are the ebay Impreza coilovers and they are way stiffer then stock but I do have blown front struts (I <3 bounching:rolleyes: ). I also have WRX rims with the *eek* Potenza RE92s which I also factored being part of my problem.

Tex, all I remember about the corner is the fact that is was sharp, with the guardrail on the left hand side of the road (outside of the corner). Matt and Art both know where it is:-\

What are you even talking about? Cars with front LSD that come to mind:

DC2 integra type r

Mazdaspeed protoge

mazdaspeed 3

Subaru STI

Dodge Neon SRT-4 '05-on

True, they are all specialized sports cars, but that was kind of a blanket statement anyway.

Trust me, I would trade the rear LSD in my rallybrat for a front LSD anytime. I think it would be killer if I could get it done without breaking the bank.

Ok so EVERYONE is on the same page, my car is technically NOT an RX BUT it is minus the EA82T. The whole drivetrain is from my old '89 RX so it has the RX gearbox, rear LSD, complete 5-lug conversion with XT6 swaybar up front and RX swaybar in the rear. Springs are the ebay Impreza coilovers and they are way stiffer then stock but I do have blown front struts (I <3 bounching:rolleyes: ). I also have WRX rims with the *eek* Potenza RE92s which I also factored being part of my problem.

Tex, all I remember about the corner is the fact that is was sharp, with the guardrail on the left hand side of the road (outside of the corner). Matt and Art both know where it is:-\

doesnt using a larger front sway tend to promote under steer? eh, i might be wrong, but best i can recall, upsizing the front leads to understeer and upsizing the rear leads to oversteer.

Don't blame the tires. They are NOT that bad.