Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Leak BS

Well I am loosing oil in my new car (90' Loyale), it compression tested 170ish on all 4, so it's not burning oil, also I can see the leak on the ground; this wont do!

The oil is leaking on the drivers side near the front, any common leaks in that area, and what is involved it replacing the faulty gasket????

I hate the way people dont know how to drive or maintain cars, the whole "well it be almost 20 years old" dumb azz BS response drives me nuts, I have flown in planes built in the 40s and they dont leak, burn or anything, as there are regulations overhauls/inspections....anyway lol!

can one of you subie gurus help me out here

Thanks!

EA82 just leak..they just do...you can completely reseal the engine and a month later it is leaking again. But the faulty points are..valve cover gaskets..cam seals..oil pan..front and rear mains.....oil pump......sometime you can even get an oozie head.

You cannot blame a previous owner for oil leaks on EA82s..Like I stated above...even the most meticulously maintained one is going to leak. Its just the design of the engine..

I resealed my 92 Loyale and it wasnt but a month later and the leak was back. Of course where I live I just call it built in rust prevention :grin:

Heck my XT6 has a 30K mile SOA crate motor in it ( ER27 is basically an EA82 with 2 extra cylinders) and it leaks some.

How much oil is it going through??

This is a car - not an airplane. Airplanes are neccesarly more robust when it comes to seals on critical fluids. It's the nature of the beast - the potential for failure at 20,000 feet along with it's consequences precipitates the creation of elaborate, exotic, and astonishigly expensive sealing systems.

Folks who deal with primarily automotive systems often fail to understand the extent to which other mechanical systems have gone to keep things sealed up. I deal everyday with labyrinth seals, teflon lip seals, viton o-rings, and mechanical seals using spring loaded carbon rings running on a micro-film lubricant over carbide polished to a mirror finish.

Often a single seal in some of these machines cost more than your whole Loyale. And would fit in the palm of your hand.

So yeah - they leak. No surprise there. The sealing systems are primitive 80's automotive tech. It's not going to kill anyone if a seal weeps a bit. Unfortunately without designing new (and expensive) sealing systems, it is something you more or less have to live with. You can fight it, or you can relax and add some oil.

GD

if it's coming from the sides it could be the cam seals. From the middle could be the front main.

On my BILs loyale one of the cam seals was so loose I could just grab and pull it out :eek: Needless to say, once I replaced the seal it stopped losing as much oil.

-Dave

it leaking enough to see it on the dipstick, so what is evolved in the fix?

The oil is leaking on the drivers side near the front, any common leaks in that area, and what is involved it replacing the faulty gasket????

Cam cover gasket:

get new gaskets & bolt seal / washers - far as I know, dealer part.

4 or 5 bolts on each side, remove & replace, pretty simple. Some tight spaces.

Cam seals & o rings. Take a look at the timing belt procedure, since you have to remove them to get at the seals.

Worst is the seal between the cam case and the head. Remove, clean the surfaces, re apply the silicon sealant, re assemble.

There is an oil passage through the headgasket, with o rings. They eventually get hard and it can leak from there.

I resealed 2 engines, from the head gaskets up. One is still pretty good, only small drips, the other is annoyingly leaky.

If your Subaru isn't leaking oil, it's probably out.

This is completely true...

on a vehicle that is not maintained properly. Sorry folks but this is fact. An engine that is not maintained properly will leak oil, water, blow headgaskets, etc. Once an engine is overheated ALL the seals should be replaced. I have done many reseals over the years. Most have not had any issues after said reseals. Most times gaskets get replaced by people who do not have "extra" money to do the job right.

Bottom line is this. Just because it is an EA82 does not mean it will or has to leak oil. Fix it right and it will not leak oil. Depending on how you drive it though it will use oil. I have zero leaks on my EJ25 and I go through about 1-2 quarts per oil change. Drive it hard around redline most of the time. :-\

So, yes, you can replace the seals, o-rings and gaskets and keep the oil where it belongs. It doesn't have to cost thousands to be dry!

This is completely true...

on a vehicle that is not maintained properly. Sorry folks but this is fact.........

..............Bottom line is this. Just because it is an EA82 does not mean it will or has to leak oil. Fix it right and it will not leak oil. .............................

.......................So, yes, you can replace the seals, o-rings and gaskets and keep the oil where it belongs. It doesn't have to cost thousands to be dry!

+1

I'de say a quart every 300mi or so, so it is (for me) a major leak.

drivers side toward front of engine, near the skid plate.

What's the consensus?

What would it cost to have fixed near western WA, as I dont have all my tool boxes at my disposal right now.

Kinda debating if I want to buy a tool kit and do it myself for just get someone else to do it, depends on price / time

Thanks

It's probably the front cam seal. I have had them completely pop out and just sit there on the shaft. It will consume a large amount of oil when that happens.

Definitely fix it yourself if you can manage it. Shops will charge the same labor price as a timing belt job because essentially it is. Figure $500+, and figure on doing the timing belt and all ancillaries

As far as the the EA series seals and gaskets.... they suck. Cork has much to be desired as a seal material, and while what Qman says is generally true, the older Subaru seals "age" much faster than newer technology sealing systems. Coating the stock cork oil pan gasket in RTV for instance makes them last a LOT longer.

Resealing engines is a good thing - but there are times when redesigning the seal or gasket is a better option given the ability. Subaru isn't going to tell you to do it - they would much rather sell you a new car instead.

And there are also times when it's just not worth the time and effort to stop a few quarts every three or four thousand from leaking out. In fact, for a "beater with a heater" it can save you from even doing any oil changes. Just add more and plop in a new filter when you think about it. :lol:

GD

i think i'll get in here. if it leaks and causes alot of smoking as in the case with my 86' GL-10 then u better reseal cuz for one thing its a fire hazard and two it could get u in trouble wit the po-po. but if it leaks only a little bit as in the case of my 85' GL which leaks from the valve covers only then just suck it up and remind yourself this, he's marking his territory against Hondas and anything GM. now like it was pointed out by Q-Man if the suby is neglected then it will leak all over the place and the easiest term to use here is "if u neglect ur suby, he will neglect u back :eek: "

Haven't you ever heard the line about how EA82's are very loyale to their owners, and are just marking their territory to protect you against intruding fords or chevys? :banana::banana::banana:

That's awesome!

It could be a plot to pollute the water supply with oil u know:dead:

I did a re-seal about a year ago ... in fact, I should look - it's probably my 1-year anneversary :banana:. I THOUGHT I had a leak at one point (very small), but it turned-out to be PS Pump. I've changed the oil like 3x since then - nothing burning, nice & smoothe, and except for the past several days, the oil pressure has hovered right at 45 psi.

I pulled the whole thing - was way easier that way. But I also did lots of other stuff, too. I can't imagine doing the oil pan gasket without ... I dunno, cutting the frame away, maybe? Either that, ou ya gotta lift it. It's a good time to get the thing clean CLEAN, too.

You cannot blame a previous owner for oil leaks on EA82s..Like I stated above...even the most meticulously maintained one is going to leak. :grin:

Oh, contrair. I have two EA-82 engines that do not leak. Not a drop...after miles and miles. See the book, "Zen And The Art Of Subaru".

:)