Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Extra cab brat anyone?

i had a chance to sit in it last night and WOW! I'm 6-3 and 250lbs and it fit like a Cadillac! the 4-runner seats were able to scoot back a tad farther than the stock ones and recline to well over 45. roooooomie! plus at first glance you could not tell anything was different. if you were not a Subaru nut you would not know the difference. the lines are flawless. not so much of a S%$# can any more, eh mntnman?

Thanks for all the great comments

I spent most of the day scavenging parts off an 81 wagon so the rear wiper, rear defroster, rear squirter, and rear brake light will all have the stock switches I also got the stock squirter resivoir just need to find a palce in the 82 gate to mount it

I also got the front squirter assembly and resivior/pump to mount up for front head lights on my off roader

the interior is slow in design but its coming together

hey El Corno its the S!@# BOX get it right yo :grin:

That's a really good job on a project that could easily have looked thrown-together. Good work!

I'm curious as to whether an EA81 wagon hatch would fit (for period continuity)? Did you consider that or just go with what you had with the EA82 hatch? Regardless, congrats!

Yea I had the same thought about period continuity but the problem with and 81 gate is it narrows to much at the top so the fit is no good

That's a really good job on a project that could easily have looked thrown-together. Good work!

I'm curious as to whether an EA81 wagon hatch would fit (for period continuity)? Did you consider that or just go with what you had with the EA82 hatch? Regardless, congrats!

So im thinking this topic is better fitted for the retrofit section

well mods what do ya think if so please move

I don't agree. Retrofitting is more like putting a GM alternator into your Subaru or 5 lug swap.

This is some very sharp and impressive fabrication, he's paying attention to detail. Some of us would have cut the back out, welded the hatch in place and called it good.

Even if it was supposed to be in the retrofitted section, there would not be as many viewers looking at it.

• 3 weeks later...
jesus man. thats clean as all hell. WTF!

Thanks man

you know me has to be just right

I still am working on the interior, I have had to go back to work for a while so no time for the ru but i should be back on my time soon after I get my stash full again

NO back seat but

I did figure out a mount for two child seats they would sit up against the side walls like thos old king cab seats

with a roll bar i think you could get two little ones stapped in and still have room for there goodies

well at least It looks like it I have no youngins so Im just guessing

You could put a rear seat bottom for a nice comfy dog seat

I need it for tool hauling and I like the extra leg and head room

I dont suppose there is enough space back there for a rear seat now is there? That would be sick.

• 3 weeks later...
well still no up dates I still am working like a fool but hopeully I will be done and back to the ru

I have found all the stuff I need just need time for it

bump for those who had questions hope this helps

Excellent work! Looks like a show room car - can't wait to see the interior and exterior painted.

I have been wanting to learn welding at my local community college but have a number of projects I must finish before I free up some spare time... How long have you been welding? Where did you learn? What is the learning curve????

You may be interested in a fab show from the UK I recently took inspiration and laughs from.....

http://isohunt.com/torrents/%22chop+shop%22?ihs1=2&iho1=d&iht=3

Steve

thanks

I have been welding for about 10 years or so my father taught me and some from other private parties as far as the learning curv its not brain surgery but its more dfficult than an oil change its hard to say without knowing your basic skills

The most important thing is you have to be comfortable so get comfy and relax and practice and youll get pick it up also A good machine does wonders

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome project! My approach also yields a deeper cabin length, since the native platform I'm building my "XRBrati" on is longer than the Brat. I'd say it's about 6" longer than the Brat, but that's just a guess. Here's the current status - shooting to have it road-worthy within the next 30 days!:banana:

Brat-050408-6.jpg

Awesome project! My approach also yields a deeper cabin length, since the native platform I'm building my "XRBrati" on is longer than the Brat. I'd say it's about 6" longer than the Brat, but that's just a guess. Here's the current status - shooting to have it road-worthy within the next 30 days!:banana:

Brat-050408-6.jpg

Is that a Ford Sierra with a Brat backend ?!?!? :banana:

More pics!!!

Steve