Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best way to lift 87 wagon?

crazylong127

suspension lift on a subaru means broken CV axles. get yourself a body lift, and SJR makes some really high-quality ones.

as for the wheels, they will have a large impact on what kind of tires you can get for what price. do some tire research before you get new wheels.

suspension lift on a subaru means broken CV axles. get yourself a body lift, and SJR makes some really high-quality ones.

as for the wheels, they will have a large impact on what kind of tires you can get for what price. do some tire research before you get new wheels.

ok so yeah i will look at body lifts then.

"stearing shaft must be lengthened (not offered at SJRLIFT )" how do you go about doing that?

"stearing shaft must be lengthened (not offered at SJRLIFT )" how do you go about doing that?

I was just looking at that as well and wondering the same thing...

I like the idea of having a complete bolt-on kit you can do in a weekend, but it's odd when there's a function missing...

it also seems strange that the steel kit only weighs 1 pound more than the aluminum one... I wonder what the up/down side is to each kit... I was thinking aluminum would be the way to go for weight, but it doesn't look that way... I'd think steel would be stronger...

--Spiffy

I've talked to Scott about that a couple of times and he does NOT want the liability of something breaking. IF I remember right, lifting an EA82 3 inches you can use a first gen (96-99) Legacy Outback steering coupler. It bolts right in and is the correct length. Somewhere in this section is the info on it. I'm going to be using SJR parts to lift both my EA81s (one is going 5 inch and the other 6 inch) and I'm going to have to have someone weld the steering shaft longer with parts from my other EA81s. As for steel vs aluminum, the steel will rust if not coated and the aluminum will not. I, personally, am not sure which one I'll be going with but it will probably be a mix of both. Good luck and enjoy.

dont go much larger than 27" MT's or you will lose alot of your gearing.the 87 is it a daily driver or offroad toy?I have a 83 wagon that is an offroad toy that I change the tires out when I get somewhere.in the mud it runs 26" tractor tires.goes anywhere I want it to go in the mud...its not lifted,just doesnt have any fenders...

dont go much larger than 27" MT's or you will lose alot of your gearing.the 87 is it a daily driver or offroad toy?I have a 83 wagon that is an offroad toy that I change the tires out when I get somewhere.in the mud it runs 26" tractor tires.goes anywhere I want it to go in the mud...its not lifted,just doesnt have any fenders...

it is an offroad/winter car. i have another car that is daily driver

This is a 2" suspension lift. Make by SJR, And it does not break axles.

I have 30's on mine

lifted30001.jpg?t=1211322202

Jeff

normally, I trust anything SJR makes.....But my experience has led me to believe differently. I ran about 1.5" of suspension on the front of my AA lifted wagon, and I burned through many axles, almost always inner DOJs and on the freeway. whereas I was also running 2" of suspension in the rear, and didn't have a problem (as long as you don't count the weekend I was running a bit more than 3" and broke 2 rear axles in 2 days)

normally, I trust anything SJR makes.....But my experience has led me to believe differently. I ran about 1.5" of suspension on the front of my AA lifted wagon, and I burned through many axles, almost always inner DOJs and on the freeway. whereas I was also running 2" of suspension in the rear, and didn't have a problem (as long as you don't count the weekend I was running a bit more than 3" and broke 2 rear axles in 2 days)

on my white car which Ive ran for over 2 years now it has a 3-1/2 lift at the front strut and 2" at the engine so the front axles are stressed over stock 1-1/2" , on the maroon car ( Jeffs now) it has a 2" lift at the strut and none at the engine for 5 months now and my ole blue Bomber had the same lift as Jeffs , Ive never had a front axle issue on any of these 3 cars all EA82 Wagons SJR

would these fit?

used wheels came from a mustang gt 4 lug thmay fit others they look to be unilug 50 for all they are 15x7

the lug pattern is not the same, only subaru and peugeot wheels have the same lug pattern, or drill out some 6 lug wheels...

also, 7" is pretty wide...

--Spiffy

the lug pattern is not the same, only subaru and peugeot wheels have the same lug pattern, or drill out some 6 lug wheels...

--Spiffy

yeah i am going to a junkyard tomorrow and find some 6 lugs. what car or truck should i be looking for? or just any 6 lug?

here's a great thread all about lifts and wheels... dunno why it's not a sticky anymore...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24980

I know I read somewhere that the 6 lug wheels to look for are chevy, toyota, and nissan... maybe a couple others... you basically use 2 of the holes and then drill 2 more between the leftover 4 holes... or convert your hubs to 6 lug...

you can see one such conversion at the bottom of the wheels page... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/wheels.html#modified

I'm sure you can find a thread with more instruction...

--Spiffy

here's a great thread all about lifts and wheels... dunno why it's not a sticky anymore...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24980

I know I read somewhere that the 6 lug wheels to look for are chevy, toyota, and nissan... maybe a couple others... you basically use 2 of the holes and then drill 2 more between the leftover 4 holes... or convert your hubs to 6 lug...

--Spiffy

I let the FAQ drop off to generate more conversation. It got so if anybody had a question, everybody would just tell them to look at the FAQ. . .

A resourceful noob would use the search button. :clap:

And, the 6 lug conversion is covered in the FAQ too.

Where in Nebraska are you crazylong127? I have family in Lincoln.

--Spiffy

i have 15x8 redrilled chevy's on mine... they aren't too wide for my tires...

I let the FAQ drop off to generate more conversation. It got so if anybody had a question, everybody would just tell them to look at the FAQ. . .

A resourceful noob would use the search button. :clap:

And, the 6 lug conversion is covered in the FAQ too.

Where in Nebraska are you crazylong127? I have family in Lincoln.

i am stationed at offutt afb next to omaha

ok i just got home from the junkyard and i got some wheels off of a dodge dakota. they are 6 lug so i hope i will be able to use them. and they came with 31x10.5 tires. all for 59 dollars. one of the tires is bad though. i will try to post a pic of them. i know that those tires won't fit without a lift. i will just get some regular tires untill i lift it. 0523081703nq9.jpg[/img]

im not sure if dodge 6 lug is right, i think its dodge and ford that have 6x4.5" patterns you want 6x5.5". it'll be chevy/toyota/nissan that fit. anyways i was able to fit 15x8's with streched 205/65r15 tires, no lift with cut fenders.

heres a pic of my re-drilled wheels

night0001.jpg

ha get these puppies goin http://gainesville.craigslist.org/pts/656459785.html