Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SJR Lift ??? Allied Lift?

kamikaz

Anyone out there who has installed a SJR lift kit, I have a couple questions. Was it an all bolt on job or was there some fabrication needed? Does it come with complete installation instructions? I noticed that it said the steering shaft needed to be lengthened, how is this done? Is there anything else about the kit & its installation that I should know?

Thanks,

Ray:cool:

Anyone out there who has used a Allied Armament lift kit, I'd like to know what you thought of the kit. Was it an all bolt on job or was there some fabrication needed? Did it come with complete & clear installation instructions? Was there any fabrication needed on the steering shaft or anything else? There is quite a price difference between the SJR & Allied kits, I was wondering if the Allied kit was more complete (no fabrication)?

Thanks,

Ray :cool:

You have posted about either of two "lift kits". I have purchased neither, preferring to make my own, but either way, there is a certain amount of fabrication to be done.

What you are doing is installing blocks (spacers) between the bolt on sub-frame assemblies on the car. Considering the newest car you are potentially installing on is 14 years old (assuming you are not lifting a new generation), this age factor could play a major part in your ability to simply get the bolts out.

Then we have to discuss the amount of lift, the higher the lift, the more "things" are going to be out of place, things like hoses (fuel, brake, and water), the coil wire that doesn't quite reach any more, the shifter linkage that has to be adjusted (or lengthened/angled), the rear shifter mount that is likely bad, only to be made worse/inoperable, with the increased angle, the found to be bad U joint while the drive shaft is out, the steering shaft that has to be cut apart, lengthened, and welded, because it doesn't reach any more, the engine steady bar that has to be lengthened.

No matter what kit you buy there is some fabrication involved.

Ray,

I have worked closely with Scott at SJR.

One of his top concerns is that what ever you do, it be done in a safe manner which does not result in an accident or injury as a result of modifications done to your car. His goal is to provide quality parts for you the builder, but you ultimately are responsible to make sure it is installed in a professional manner. He is fully capable of modifying a steering component and including it with a lift kit, but has purposely chosen not to take upon himself the liability for such a crucial safety part of your car.

The quick answer to your question is yes, most of his lifts are a simple bolt in installation, but to go along with Reveen's comments, there are an assortment of other small issues with your car that need to be understood and addressed and this is best done by someone with knowledge of the components affected. When you do the installation, you need to have someone on your team who understands the factors and has some small fabrication experience.

For a modification this large, an inexperieced person can not expect to drive the car into the garage, follow a step by step instruction sheet and drive back out ready to go in a couple hours.

I hope I haven't thrown cold water on your project.

Good luck

Rollie

yep, been discussed.

short version. all high-quality construction. BYB and SJR are definitely standup companies. AA was when I worked with them, but lift kits are not their priority anymore....so....I dunno.

BYB is totally bolt-on. easiest and most complete lift kit out there. but, sacrifice some strength to do it.

SJR is not entirely bolt-on (although he has a few different kits that require different levels of fabrication). But by far the strongest design.

AA splits the difference.....little more complex to install than BYB, but stronger....but not as beefy as the SJR stuff.

IMHO, sacrifice the blood, sweat and tears during the install so you don't wind up with severely broken stuff at the worst time down the road. Go SJR.

But if you want a reliable maker and an even better kit. Go with SJR and save yourself the many emails and posts asking where your kit is after you order it.

yeah, AA keeps going in and out of the subaru business, which gives me no faith in them... and I saw lots of AA threads with people asking where their kit is after it's been paid for...

I've heard nothing but good things about SJR and that's where I'd take my business...

I've heard good things about BYB (ausubaru.com), but they're in Australia and the US site ozified.com shut down...

--Spiffy

I got my AA kit late, but it was very beefy. The customer support is baically calling the person who made the kit. They thought i had a manual, so they didnt send two braces. When i called them, they instantly sent me the extra braces.

The kid who makes the kits is really cool to talk to , as he has a lifted sooby himself.

i think you all are beating up on AA unfairly. We are talking about something where less then 10 kits are made a year, because less then ten people ask for them. If you think you can run a business on 10 orders a year go right ahead. They do have a primary business that pays the bills and saleries.

i will get off my m-16 tripod now.

nipper

i think you all are beating up on AA unfairly. We are talking about something where less then 10 kits are made a year, because less then ten people ask for them. If you think you can run a business on 10 orders a year go right ahead. They do have a primary business that pays the bills and saleries.

IMHO. do it right, or not at all.

I didn't realize PK wasn't making the BYB kits anymore....

I remember the days where everyone didn't like the looks of the SJR kits... Now it seems your the guy Scott. I've only dealt with building my own lifts, so sorry no input

kind of by default, this is such a narrow nitchmarket, when I started 3-1/2 years ago there was a few choices, you could buy a P/K BYB lift or you could buy a AA , so I came along as the new guy , well since then P/K has shut down , AA has started then stopped then started again , and I have kept expanding my product line and have switched from aluminum to steel , my goal is to keep you guys supplied with parts, Ive dedicated a lot of time and effort into this endevore, there reallly hasnt been alot of money made compared to time spent but Im looking to the future and trying to build up something up that will be a successful business for myself plus help people build ther dreams in their vehicle projects

Scott (owner of SJR)

After dealing with first hand with both here is my opinion:

SJR: Great build quality and constantly looking to expand and improve what he is offering. Would purchace any of SJR's products and hope he continues to expand and grow!

AA: I have bumper, lift, and wheels from AA. Bumper is great, Lift is 90% great and Wheels are 75% great. The Lift never "settled" and I have some issues with the ousides of tires wearing in the front. I had two wheels crack at the welds but AA was quick to replace if I wanted. (I ended up fixing myself just because i wanted to.)

I would purchase from both companys again but I would would have to recommend SJR.

After dealing with first hand with both here is my opinion:

SJR: Great build quality and constantly looking to expand and improve what he is offering. Would purchace any of SJR's products and hope he continues to expand and grow!

AA: I have bumper, lift, and wheels from AA. Bumper is great, Lift is 90% great and Wheels are 75% great. The Lift never "settled" and I have some issues with the ousides of tires wearing in the front. I had two wheels crack at the welds but AA was quick to replace if I wanted. (I ended up fixing myself just because i wanted to.)

I would purchase from both companys again but I would would have to recommend SJR.

On The AA lift, i had to use camber bolts on all 4 wheels, it solved the alignment issue.

nipper

With the AA 4 inch lift I had to add some stuff to the lift. I had to add a rear diff spacer to the front mount of the rear diff. I also had to extend my old steering shaft because they couldnt figure out what a Non power steering shaft looks like. One other problem I had was I had to wobble my front strut mount holes because the strut extentions were not welded in the right spot. You can tell they made a bunch of the kits fast before they went out of buisness

All and all, I've had NO problems with the lift after the installatio. My car is driven every day and wheeled every night after work. I installed my kit with red lock tite and a rattle gun and nothings come lose yet been on there for 3 years now

If I was to get another lift, I'd go SJR ftw because dealing with AA was a PITA. I got charged for a steering shaft for a power steering rig which I specified I had a non power steering unit many many times on the phone.

I like the looks of the sjr lift alot better, stronger and keeps your control arms at better angles than the AA lift. My back tires rake forward an inch or two from center of the wheel wells.

Good luck