Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Plans

http://ocnbrat.spaces.live.com/default.aspx (Check out my Brat)

I just purchased this stock Brat and have never owned one before. I'm a girl with no mechanical ability, and will be having this work done for me. This truck is totally vintage and in immaculate condition, actually has 15,000 original miles, been in a garage it's entire life. I got it so I could skip the mechanical repairs and do the fun stuff; trick it out but remain tasteful. For starters I want to lift it but would like to hear from the veterans. I have heard that I could lift it up to 4" without compromising the way it handles but many people predict dire consequences to the design if I do so. I have no intention of getting reckless with it but still want it to be a safe vehicle to drive. I have a line on a kit at http://www.sjrlift.com and know what size tires I could go with without having to cut the body.

Here are the other things I want to do / add. I'd like to know if there are kits for these items or if they would require modifications, where to buy, cost, etc. Any advice and direction would be appreciated. Thank you!

Bed Liner

Winch

Grill Guard

Roll Bar w / Lights

Lift / Wheels / Tires

Tonneau Cover (Would I need to fab this?)

Welcome to the Board and congrats on getting a real fine Brat. First thing is make sure it is insured for full replacement value. You might try Hagerty's insurance (google them) to supplement what your liability insurance carrier will not cover. Also, check the current posts on the other new Brat that showed up last week and learn from the advice he's gotten. Lastly, get a copy of How to Keep your Subaru Alive; it'll give you minimal but important information to get you started. Buy the 2nd edition; it's usually found on ebay or amazon for around $20 plus shipping. Good luck with your new baby!

Wow, that's in amazing condition!

A lift of 3-4" won't have any real adverse effects. With the type of lifts used on Subarus, the driveline and CV axle angles are virtually unchanged, so most of the problems normally associated with lifting a rig are nonexistant. It'll handle slightly differently, but it really doesn't make a big difference.

Of course, getting a lift installed professionally won't be cheap.

With that few miles on it, I'm assuming it has sat for a long period, which is not good for oil seals. Keep a sharp eye out for oil leaks. Luckily with that engine, it's not hard to deal with most of them.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace most or all of the cooling system hoses if they haven't been done. Even with little use, at that age they are a ticking time bomb of overheating destruction. Flush the cooling system at the same time to get any rust or debris out.

Best of luck to you. This will be a fun project.

isnt that the brat that was posted for sale here a few months back for a rather large sum of $$?

either way, that is one clean looking brat.

be very careful about the mods you make to it seeing as it is in such good condition. you dont want to risk messing up something that rare.

but no matter what you do with it, be sure to take lots of pictures for us so that we can see the progress yo make.

and lastly, have fun with it.

No kidding, where do all these cherry brats come from lately. Welcome to the sight. Alot of problems people have when lifting these vehicles is they off road with them and hyperextend the cv shafts which destroys them. But it looks like your a beach bum:D so i dotn think that will be a problem with you. Check the classifieds section, lots of the stuff you asked about show up there every once in a while. Depending on where you live, which im not seeing parts could either be abundent or absent. Maybe a cali girl if so then you have west coast access which is great. There givin stuff away for those vehicles in washington.

I believe if you contace mcbrat he might still have a toneau cover that would fit your brat.

I have a question

why are the pictures dated

11/30/2006

If she just bought it?

Maybe they are the original "For Sale" pictures??

Keep the height stock and add only factory assc. to it.

Should be worth 10 k$ in a few years.

think the pictures are from the original seller, which was asking 12k for.

my Brat looked similar but with 118k miles, i paid 2800 came with topper (overpaid for all the replacments needed). now, look at mine....would i trade, yeah, but i wouldnt lift hers. Mine will be rusting away in a few years, oh well...its fun and the looks i get when driving it......

Edited by bheinen74

Keep the underside oiled and sealed to prevent rusting.

OK, I've read this in several posts already. Please expalin what you guys do to oil the underside. Do you blow it all over the undercarrige with a pump sprayer or what? What kind of oil do you use? Standard motor oil, synthetic, etc?

OK, I've read this in several posts already. Please expalin what you guys do to oil the underside. Do you blow it all over the undercarrige with a pump sprayer or what? What kind of oil do you use? Standard motor oil, synthetic, etc?

Good question! Mine's never been done (and it shows!!) but I've seen it mentioned using linseed oil, used motor oil, and some other stuff...