Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, first off, let's all just forgo the "it looks like an Audi/Infiniti/Chevy/..." comments. They're rather useless posts that turn into some sort of argument far too often.

Instead, I'm just curious what people actually think about it. Personally, I'm not exactly thrilled by it (I liked the teaser more), but I think it could be a good start. Obviously it's just a concept, so things will change, and that's good.

I think the paint looks bad with that lighting, there is too much chrome, the headlights are borderline, the lower grill/bumper doesn't fit the rest of the car and the mirrors just don't look good. All of which are things that never usually stay completely the same from concept to production (except maybe the chrome window frames). Which is why I think it's a good start.

Other than that I like the lines down the side, the familiar shape of the windows from current models and the whole rear end. They even made the Impreza sedan's hideous trunk lid mustache look good. Perhaps the best thing about it is that I like the whole thing more now than I did when I started this.

Too bad I won't ever consider one until they make them in normal wagon form again. Outbacks just don't do it for me.

Full Legacy concept gallery at jalopnik.

Subaru-Legacy-Concept.jpg

Edited by Psyko

I'm totally digging that. I think I'd like to see either a lower roof line or a slightly higher hood line. I looks sorta squished in the front, to me. As I look at it a bit more, I think the trick to this one would be to raise the back of the hood up just a bit. Give it a little more slope for a bit more aggressive look and also change the overall windshield height without affecting head room.

It looks too much like an audi/infinity/chevy

:banana:

+elevetyfivemillllllllllllllion

I like the look of the wide wheel flares, but other than that; that car is nothing but another fall in line with everyone else styling concept. People say it looks like other cars because it does just that. If it were debadged It would take a real automotive enthusiast to pick that out as a Subaru in a parking lot at the mall. There is just nothing daring or distinctive about it, but I suppose that's what the masses really want, and I wouldn't be a bit suprised if it sold like crazy. It should do a good job blending in with other upper middle sedans of the same size. They just better pick the right colors for it because we all know that that's what sells cars anyways....:-\

so, why can't subaru/FHI conceptualize a practical car for our most likely future?

1.8 boxer to supplement toyotas hybid technology utilizing a 6eat cvt tranny-i don't care what they look like (mostly) if they are the functional and realiable awd machines we've come to love. I can park my own car and turn my head to see if it's safe to change lanes-I'm sick and tired of bells and whistle that just add weight and increased cost for repairs and insurance.

can you tell my next subaru is going to be a 87 gl wagon?:lol:

3.7l ? give my an f'n break-yeah, i guess it's needed to move a 3800lb car :-\

I love the side skirts and by looking at the front end you can kind of tell it was built by Subaru (grill looks similar)...i do agree that it could use a little lower roofline though....as long as its still powered by a Boxer Engine and has Subarus "famous" AWD i dont see a problem..:)

The only "Subaru" I see on this car is the front grill.

Other than that, nada.

And I agree with a lot of you, its over styled.

If they gave it, say the 06-07 impreza front end, the 87 gl wagon body style :eek:, a beastly hood scoop and the spoiler off of the 08 STi, to make it look "mean."

Whatcha think? Any photoshoppers out there who would attempt my idea? :grin::banana:

I dont like it, It doesnt look like a Subaru. The headlights scare me, the body lines are ok at best, but the front end is killing me. I think, a lower roofline, a little tweaking with the side lines and fenders, and putting a Subaru styled front end (gotta admit, the healights look like they would bolt on to an Infinity :-\) and it would be better. Add about 3 inches of ride height and take out the rear doors and put a D/R in it and I might actually consider one...

-Bill

The front end looks like an Audi, the rear (in that photo) like a Mazda 3. I like Audi's and Mazda's but if I wanted one of those, I'd buy one of them. If I want a Subaru, I want it to look like a Subaru and this looks too much like other cars.

It's not that I dislike the looks of this car, it just lacks orginality. I've not liked what they've done to the Impreza line the last two iterations, I can't stand the Tribeca, and if they build this they will ensure that I won't buy ANY Subaru built after whenever they release that.

I guess that's good for me since I'll be buying nothing but used Subarus from now on.

I can park my own car and turn my head to see if it's safe to change lanes-I'm sick and tired of bells and whistle that just add weight and increased cost for repairs and insurance.

can you tell my next subaru is going to be a 87 gl wagon?:lol:

3.7l ? give my an f'n break-yeah, i guess it's needed to move a 3800lb car :-\

I'm with ya. The auto industry wants driving to be an easy, accessible thing for everyone regardless of whether or not the mouth-breather behind the wheel posses the intelligence to drive in a straight line in the first place. ( whew the menagerie that is DC traffic really makes a fella jaded huh?)

It shames me to think I am a citizen of a country that forced Honda not only to start putting cup holders in the car but to "super size" them because Americans wouldn't buy the thing if they didn't have anywhere to put their slurpy. I could go on but I won't, I know this isn't really the point of the thread.

As far as the car goes, visibility looks worse then a mustang mach II and that's saying something. I don't see one thing about that car I like except for the color. I guess they haven't figured out how to turn "ugly" into a pigment yet.

As Monstaru would say, way so hella no cheers:(

p.s. man, it musta been a hard few days!

I thought Subaru had learned from the mistakes of the 2000-2004 body styles. I could not stand the excess lower plasitc trim pieces on those years. The problem with this one seems to be the over design. It's only a concept but it looks heavy.

sorry, i dont like it either...

looking from the side - bulbous nose - looks too much like every other sedan out there - sits too low, not sure i like the chrome...

looking at the front - wide at the bottom (good) but squished looking at the top (bad)

what is it with the current headlight themes - on ALL new cars??? headlights dont belong shoved way up the fender! sheesh...

and i agree with Skip - what the heck is gonin on with the side mirrors???

sorry, but I want to see - in reality - what is out there - not some camera's interpretation....

tech for tech's sake - umm, gettin a little carried away here....

time to open up photoshop....

Yeah, I noticed the 2008 outback seems about as wide on the bottom as my '96 but smaller on top. My buddy who's got a 2003 says the '08 (which is parents drive) is way smaller inside, almost cramped feeling.

I assumed this was because of all the safety stuff they're stuffing into doors these days. If it's just plastic B.S. then that is tooootally lame.

I agree about the headlights too, insects come to mind....

ok - here is a quickie photo-chop of the front end - done as a half-n-half - half thiers, half mine (hope it is obvious which half is which...)

th_subaruconcept001copy2.jpg

what do ya'll think??? should i submit to Subaru??? :grin:

ps: not happy with the mirror - still needs some refinements here & there...

Edited by heartless
just cause...

Looks good. Just two little nit-picks I see:

1. I like the shorter nose you created, but much prefer how close the actual car is to the ground. I just don't think there is anything wrong with Legacys being low to the ground. That's what Outbacks are for.

2. Headlights look good, but because of how short they are the grill looks like it should be shortened/lowered so that the top of it isn't so far above the top of the lights.

Looks good. Just two little nit-picks I see:

1. I like the shorter nose you created, but much prefer how close the actual car is to the ground. I just don't think there is anything wrong with Legacys being low to the ground. That's what Outbacks are for.

2. Headlights look good, but because of how short they are the grill looks like it should be shortened/lowered so that the top of it isn't so far above the top of the lights.

valid points - as i said, it was just a quickie - plan on playing a bit more to see what else i can do with it.

ground clearance - well, i prefer to have the clearance - but i live in snow state :-\ if it wasnt for that i would agree that closer to the ground would look nicer

well...back to the "drawing board"....

th_subaruconcept001copy2.jpg

quote]

Way to go, heartless. Lookin' better than Subaru's version already! Might want to play with that horizontal grill bar--maybe a little thinner and lower in the opening. In fact dropping the entire grill opening lower might help.

Keep up the good work!

looks better, can you get rid of the blueish bulbs, make them amber, and a more rectangular headlight, with the bottom of the headlight following the line of the bumper top.. Obviously we live in snow states, and clearance is a MUST have. more clearance on front air dam.