Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I cant keep up

Make sure you wash it a lot too! At least after every storm dries up. And again oil the hell out of it! also when you sanded etc. did you get every little last spec of surface rust off of it before you spread bondo over it? If not, "rust never sleeps!" It will just keep eating away in there, even though you can't see it!!:-\ Good luck! I know how it is!

give it a good rinse all over with hot soapy water, then rinse it down really good.

add about a inch around where you think the rust is, sand down to bare metal, then use some metal glase not bondo, sand that until its smooth with the body lines. then prime and paint.

other wise bondo and primer both hold in moisture so that is making it worse on you.

por-15 is holding up here for me. It is a little pricey but it has kept the wagon intact over the last few winters. Every spring I have to fix up a few areas, but at least it is a manageable decay rate now. Time will tell if the motor or the body gives up first.

Stop using bondo and primer, unless it is quality and proffesinally done, they are porus and designed to draw in moisture so the wet paint sticks better when applied and need to be completley sealed with a good clearcoat. Just stick with POR-15 or Rustomleum.

Problem is..right now its too cold to do too much without having it in a dry heated garage...you can temp coat it with POR-15 or Rust bullet and in the spring try again...I have also been working with fiberglass more and more and really like it. But the trick is making sure its ALL gone before coating..and get it coated ASAP once sanded..if it sits overnight bare..it will start all over again.

So ..just send him to me :grin::grin::grin:.. I will pamper him ( me still LOVES EA82 wagons)

OH!! Side note..I get to see Bucky today!! He is coming to visit with backwoodsboy and darlingchip..we are working on my coupe :banana::banana::banana:

ill send him to ya, as long as i get him back all shiney and white

DOOOO EEEET!!!! I would LOVE too...I still have a few cans of Maytag white Krylon Rust Tough paint around here..and Rust Bullet..a welder some scrap metal..and pop rivets and fiberglass. You wouldnt recognize Quido when you got him back.:)if you got him back ..snicker

Rock The DL Ken......

You know it! Best looking EA82's, gotta love the throwback to the EA81 look.

And good luck getting that rust stopped. I love it up here in Washington, my DL only has a tiny little bit of surface rust that will be getting repaired this spring. :grin: