Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Struts

OK, I'll ask (after looking at the links)

What's the dif between the RX struts and the Loyale RS struts? The Loyale RS seems to be the identical body, and is a 4wd - so some of the parts are hd - compared to the DL/GL of the same era, and still available!

I really can't imagine the dampening or travel is any different, or the upper mounting... anyone looked into that before?

if the guts are the same, but the part number is different (and it is) just because of some lower mounting bolt hole... well one of the links had struts for $123 ea...and the Sachs Loyale RS strut is $50 something ea at Rock auto

see where I'm going with this? If you can get two frakkin' struts for less than one, and have to do a minor mod, it'd still be worth it - and they're apparently more readily available than the RX units

maybe someone in the know can get more technical about this than I can, I'm only speculating - but I'd like to see the RX owners have more options

** edit ** if it'd help anyone I will borrow a camera and take pictures of my RS front strut on the car, with the wheel off (dur) to see how it compares to an RX front **

Edited by Txakura
afterthought

To the best of my knowledge, the RX and the Loyale struts are FUNCTIONALLY identical. Yes, the RX has a higher spring rate, but that shouldnt matter because you're changing struts, not springs..

I would source some inexpensive GL/GL10 (non-air-suspension) struts, and put them next to each other.. I believe the only difference is maybe where the brake line bolts up to it?? Correct me if wrong...

Adjustable Wagon shocks work on the rear of an RX... :grin:

88RxTuner

To the best of my knowledge, the RX and the Loyale struts are FUNCTIONALLY identical. Yes, the RX has a higher spring rate, but that shouldnt matter because you're changing struts, not springs..

I would source some inexpensive GL/GL10 (non-air-suspension) struts, and put them next to each other.. I believe the only difference is maybe where the brake line bolts up to it?? Correct me if wrong...

88RxTuner

Adjustable shocks jack the rear up to high, even on the lowest setting.

BT-DT.

I'll be removing my RX struts soon, I can compare them to other sets I have.

88RxTuner

I guess using a less expensive shock makes more sense than modding a more expensive shock/mount or whatever... I guess what I was driving at is the possibility that the Loyale RS part may work with no modification and have identical performance.

• 10 years later...

Necro-bump!  I actually stumbled across the dampening rates for the EA82 the other day and was kind of shocked to find out that the struts on the RX are about 2-3 times more stiff than the base GL struts, on top of having stiffer springs.

Sadly, the struts are NLA for all RX-specific part numbers.

• Thanks 1

It seems like this information would be valuable to someone looking to do a suspension alteration or upgrade.  I have struts/knuckles out of a '93 Impreza with Loyale top hats in my '92 Loyale with XT6 lower control arms.  I would be curious how close my '93 Impreza struts compare to GL/RX/Loyale? Perhaps I could find a firmer strut/spring combination than the stock Impreza ones.

Edited by Crazyeights

I did something different. One guy on there, had the bright yellow wagon down in south america somewhere, showed how you could use 4 runner struts and springs. It did raise the rear slightly, 2 inches higher than the front, which I like the look on the Rx, but I feel they are too stiff. If I put 4 people in her, I am sure she would ride nice. But one person, she feels like a rally car. 

I put XT struts in the front.

Edited by Naked Buell