Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why so offended

Phizinza

Why is it that everyone that asks why I don't have a lift kit seems so offended by my answers? I guess maybe they are trying to defend the reason they spent $$$ on a lift kit? Why can't they be happy with what they have and be happy with the route they took?

:rolleyes:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blondy

Maybe cos its just the common thing that most people do...me...i don't really have any intentions of doing it either...maybe if i had a turbo under the hood i would think about it abit more since i'd have the power to back it up a little more....but if i wanted a vehicle with that kind of clearance i would probably go a bigger 4X4 like a hilux, landcruiser or navara...

It mainly seems to be the thing that they do in the states too...i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong...but they lift lots of cars over ther...or so i have seen.

Not many do it over in Australia though...well atleast everywhere i drive around i rarely see it.

Maybe cos its just the common thing that most people do...me...i don't really have any intentions of doing it either...maybe if i had a turbo under the hood i would think about it abit more since i'd have the power to back it up a little more....but if i wanted a vehicle with that kind of clearance i would probably go a bigger 4X4 like a hilux, landcruiser or navara...

It mainly seems to be the thing that they do in the states too...i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong...but they lift lots of cars over ther...or so i have seen.

Not many do it over in Australia though...well atleast everywhere i drive around i rarely see it.

Yes...you're wrong. :lol:

Lifted cars are very rare here. Soobs seem to be the most popular to lift (for obvious reasons), but otherwise you may not see a lifted car on the road for years.

Phininza: I think that it's great that you do the off roading that you do without a lift. Look at it this way: It's more of a challenge to off road without a lift, so the rest of us are just taking the easy way out!

there's a side to every story, it's a bit presumptuous to comment out of context. maybe they aren't offended by your answers, but there's more to it than that? "the issue isn't the issue" usually applies.

i doubt it's because of money spent on a lift kit.

I kick around the idea of a lift.

But I seem to keep up with the Jeeps and such I wheel with no problem without one. So the NEED for a lift has never really been there.

And I don't break parts as often as the lifted rigs I know........ ;)

Just a few extra dents in the floor from time to time.

So I'm staying stock for now. :)

If I'm gonna lift it, I'm gonna solid axle it, I don't have the $$$$ for all of that right now and I'm not going to do it halfway.

Everyone has thier own goal for thier Soob.

In the end all that matters is we are all taking them out and enjoying them. :grin:

I wheeled my first hatch (unlifted with 27 inch MTs) along side Ken's 4 inch lifted hatch for probably the better part of a year and did fine. Then one day I came off or a rock face and got my bumper caught up. I had to get pulled out in front of a pretty good sized group of Soobie folks. Ken came right behind me and cleared it because his bumper was so much higher.

I bought a lift after that.

Besides. Lifted Soobs look tougher. Looking tough is cool. Cool is in. :grin:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=78&g2_serialNumber=1

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=89&g2_serialNumber=1

But Phiz, I'm hardly offended that you don't want to lift your car. :)

Edited by Zap

I kick around the idea of a lift.

But I seem to keep up with the Jeeps and such I wheel with no problem without one. So the NEED for a lift has never really been there.

My friend. You would not make it up the trail these rigs are sitting at the top of without a lift. (Only me and Ken tried and made it in Soobs. The two ea82 wagons didn't wanna try.)

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=81&g2_serialNumber=1

P.S. See you in August at Evans Creek to make you prove me wrong.

Maybe stating your reason for no lift would help to clarify a little bit. But, one thing I know for certain is that I'd be embarassed if I'd ever spent a dime on purchasing a lift kit, maybe that's why people get defensive. People who have that much money into something tend to get a little defensive, whereas the people who build their own are probably a little more likely to not give two $***$ about anyone elses opinions. Especially people who bought theirs... From what I've seen, it gos like that with pretty much any form of vehicle modding. The guys that bought a full out fiberglass 32 Ford Highboy, and had it built at a shop are usually a little more touchy than the guy who actually spent the wrench time building their own. Same deal with the Jeep guys who pretty much built their Jeeps straight outta JC Whitney. Compare them to a guy that knows every nut, and bolt on his Jeep because he spent the time to source a bunch of Junkyard parts in order to save a buck.

Another thing is that maybe lifts aren't really that necessary in your climate, and geography???? :confused: I'm just totally stabbing in the dark here, but, from most of the pics of yours I've seen; your area looks pretty dry, and fairly desert like. Sort of comparable to our Southwest. I've wheeled a non lifted Subaru here, and I know the biggest set back for a non lifted Subaru is that our ground is just so damn wet. Mud is pretty hard to avoid, even in late summer. If you can get that body up out of the mud, your are miles ahead of a non lifted car, so as far as that goes; it could just be a thing of necessity as well. Just a guess.

Guest blondy
Yes...you're wrong. :lol:

Lifted cars are very rare here. Soobs seem to be the most popular to lift (for obvious reasons), but otherwise you may not see a lifted car on the road for years.

rite...friendly note taken...i must of just stumbled across the right area on the net then :grin:

I wish i was able to be able and mod and do half the stuff alot of you guys do here...but due to my lack of expertise and other family/friends that don't do this kind of stuff....i have to pay for the majority of work done on my car.

Plus its my daily driver, and due to the money i was going to use for a motorbike went into a new car since my other got written off because of the stupidness of the other driver, if i stuff something up...i walk...which may take along time to get to places seeing we don't have regular public transport in the country...

i'll stop rambling now...in the end no one should get worked up and offended, its not like its their car and their choice in the matter...there only there for help and suggestions to what you would like to do with your car...

all a lift does is allow more clearance for tires without beating the panels.It raises the bumper height a little bit, but the real lift comes from come the tires themselves. Where I go offroading which is mostly mud I havent needed a lift. Because the subaru can drag its belly in the dirt the whole time and not slow down.Now that I am trying to go snowwheeling I need a much wider tire,that happens to be taller.For the tires to fit a lift was/is needed...

All tracks here in South Australia that you can't go around a stock subie can go over. So I only take the hard stuff my Subie can go over (which is about 95% of the choice tracks).

The problems I have had was the bottom radiator support bumping, but that was completely my fault because I took the wrong line. If you pick your lines you won't rub anything important.

Another thing, here in Australia we can only have 2 inch lifts legally. What does 2 inches get me I always ask? Nothing much at all especially not anything worth the time to build or money to buy a lift kit. I've got the Kumho 27x8.5R14's under my car with little to no problems. I had to cut a lot of fender, and bash a little. But it looks great now so I can't see why I should lift it to save that fender.

Its good reading through all your responses. Interesting to see what you all think on the matter.

Right, so you are posting up all these pictures of the difference. But how much difference does it really make offroad? I know the difference between my 2" lifted Brumby on tall springs vs my non lifted sedan on 2WD springs isn't much at all (I'm running same welded rear diff and MT tyres on the sedan as was on the Brumby).

Sure it may look good, but does it actually help much, and is there something else you could do instead value wise?

Hey, I don't care if you lift it, or if its lifted. I just can't understand why people get so defensive about their lifted Subie when I say "no, I did not need to lift it for those tyres and I wouldn't want any larger tyre".

I agree newer gen models have terrible over hangs and would be helped more by a lift more then the older gens

Since we're posting pictures,

83sedan_offroad1.jpg

No lift, and I think it has plenty of clearance. More then a Toyota Landcruiser under the diffs.

Its not like a body lift gains you much, because in the middle you still have a driveline, sump, diff, etc all at the same height as before. That's my thinking. Only front and rear suffer form no lift and I haven't had much trouble with that yet.

No lift, and I think it has plenty of clearance. More then a Toyota Landcruiser under the diffs.

Its not like a body lift gains you much, because in the middle you still have a driveline, sump, diff, etc all at the same height as before. That's my thinking. Only front and rear suffer form no lift and I haven't had much trouble with that yet.

That is a good point. I noticed that. I like my lifted Subarus, but I'm not offended that your non-lifted car and go anywhere mine can. As for bigger tires...it sure doesn't help the 4 cylinder engine either. I lifted mine so I can have longer travel...oh, it's not going to be stock suspension...the plans on in the making.

But ya, who ever gets offended probably paid to have the lift installed too.:rolleyes:

whose offended?

what Ive found is the trail is a great teacher, people can sit back at their

computer and say anything they want but get out on the trail and all the

talkin and braggin end, some are up to the task both car and driver and

some are not, you need both traction and power to the ground and the

skills to manage the terrain , you need to know your vehicle and know

what it can do and what it can not you also need to know your vehicles

weaknesses and work within those tollerances so not to break, over the

last 4 years Ive learned alot from the soobies Ive driven Ive also learned

alot about myself, Ive made many a mistakes and have learned from them,

someday it would be cool to go down under and hang with you guys and

go offroadin with you. my weak spot is I tend to smash up the right front

corner of my car so maybe it would help me to sit and drive on that side

of the car , my preference in a soobie for offroad would be EA82 axles, EJ

2.2 , Dual range 5-speed 3.9, Welded rear diff, 27-29" swampers , now

here in Washington we see some good mud, seeing your pics you probably

dont need good mud tires like we do, Cheers SJR

not offended but when a lift kit cost less then a x-box and a few games.. there realy is no reason price wise no to do it? Pluss most people could build there own small and use full home gym for the price of a x-box and a few games... yes.. I am offended by the x-box and what it has done to our youth.. slackersl:mad::rolleyes:

I hate consoles... although the wii is fun.

Here a 2 to 3 inch lift kit costs between $400-500 ($290-360USD). I would much prefer to spend that money on a weber, or two brand new MT tyres.

Yes a lift is better then an xbox, no its not better then other things you can buy with that money (or time if you build one). That's how I see it and that is probably why people get offended, because I put it as blunt as most of the time lift kits aren't worth half their value.