Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 Coupe Love ..Restore Progress ( Pics page 2)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks...got a long way to go yet.. have to turn the car around soon to get the other side. Everything gets cleaned and assessed as its pulled apart..as replace repaint or leave it as it. With the exception of the rear bumper...nothing has been bad at all. the bumper damage was caused by loosing a tail pipe or something..my new set up I have actually extended the tail pipe to go beyond the bumper.

I am doing this because I dont want anything to come back and haunt me a year or 2 down the road. spending $5K on a paint job and I dont want to have to redo it

Edited by Bucky92

Lookin' good, want to do my wagon next? :drunk::lol:

$5k is a lot for a paint job; have you thought about a community college auto shop program or something? There's got to be a way to do it for less than $1k and still have it come out looking like $1,000,000.

Lookin' good, want to do my wagon next? :drunk::lol:

$5k is a lot for a paint job; have you thought about a community college auto shop program or something? There's got to be a way to do it for less than $1k and still have it come out looking like $1,000,000.

You get what you pay for... plus this is going to be a custom paint job ( I am not telling what I am having done...but it will be subtle). I want it done right... the plans for this car are not just subaru shows...but all car shows...which we have many here. I dont want some school kids with no clue touching it...I have heard and seen what they can do...and its not good...just ask Seahag about her experience. I was will to spend the $10K I was quoted from the restorer..but I found someone highly recommended and who does just as good if not better work. has quite a few trophy winners under his belt. I know I am being anal and a perfectionist..but ..you dont realize how rare this car is over here... the last one I have seen on the road...was my 82 GLF... 4 or so years ago.

I wish I could do my restore to the extent of Kostamojen's FF-1...but I dont have the knowledge or money to do that. So I am doing the best I can with what I have.

yeah just in the past year or so, the cost of the materials, cost of paint has skyrocketed. literally, paint for a vehicle used to cost like 100 or so. Now, the paint alone and thinners etc are going to be about 700 bucks, then you have primer cost, masking tape, sandpaper, etc. clearcoat, etc. I think its due to the osha laws, and environmental costs of stuff, remember paint materials are bad for the enviro, so they make us pay these days. :eek:

If you guys haven't checked around recently on paint cost, you will be shocked like i was.

I can see 5g these days for show cars, yes.

I can see normal cars around 1500 +

just a fender paint is gonna run 200 bucks +

hood paint 300~

so yeah.

Connie I hope you have more pics of progress, this stuff takes a lot of time to do right, you seem to be coming along steadily. keep it up.

Here is who I will be using...there are a couple pics.

http://www.austinsautoworks.com

I have talked to him and he understands my feelings about the car and what I want from the finished job. He also knows I am doing much of the prep work myself. His quote does include repairing some of the minor body work, painting the door jams and engine compartment and underside of trunk. He will be getting the car as a rolling chassis, stripped of all trim etc. I will be sending the seats out to be refoamed and upholstered also.

Have you gotten a quote on refoaming/reupholstering the seats yet? I'm very curious as to how much they tell you. I've resigned to seat covers for now but they obviously won't do as a permanent fix.

I am looking at around $600-$1000 for everything. If i wasnt being a perfectionist..I would just find another set of seats.

AWESOME! :slobber:

I am very impressed and can appreciate your attention to the details! Well done!

Ain't the Weber nice!?!?!

It is now... Me and that Weber werent getting along for awhile... But its good now.

And thanks.. its the small details that make the difference.. The car was basically good to begin with..but not where i wanted it to be..and the only way to make it what I want is to do the full restore...which means every little nook and cranny needs cleaned out etc etc.

Like I said..if it looks even close to what i have envisioned in my head.. its going to be amazing

Lookin good Connie!

You may think that LB doesnt look so nice all stripped down... but take it from a guy who sees this daily, that car is CLEAN. :banana:

Ive seen the odd 2006 with more rust.

You know, I think this every time I work on your car, but TRULY this is a rare opportunity on the east coast...

To work on an EA81 like its 1983 again. :slobber: Gotta love it!

I am working on stripping down the passenger side now.. and want to get the rear disk swap parts on soon. Car is going to need new tires..these are severely dry rotted ( you can pull chunks of tread off with your fingers).

My baby is coming apart easily..just hope when it goes back together its not a rattle trap. The fenders will be going back on one I finish cleaning whats behind them...along with the cowl behind the hood....wow there was alot of garbage in there.

Then I need to pull the interior out...oh fun fun.

Why put the fender and the cowl back on if hes getting painted.

Answer:

...along with the cowl behind the hood....wow there was alot of garbage in there.

Notorious spot where crap like pine needles and leaves and dirt all accumulate and hold water and cause rust which turns to outright rot....all in the WORST possible spot to deal with. Trust us 70's owners and rust zone former 80's freakazoids .....strip it,blow it all out,make it dry and clean and recoated if possible to assist in water drainage.