Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NEED HELP!!!! Buying Subaru and clueless

I'm an avid outdoorsman and I've finally decided to switch over from a 19 year old Acura

and move to a Subaru and need some serious help. I have an acquaintance who goes to many

car auctions that only dealer can go to and is going to pick out a subaru for me after I tell him

exactly what I want.

I know I want an Outback Wagon, but I want to know what are the best

years and which options to choose which to avoid. Reliability is very important to me

because I plan to keep the car for a long time.

What are the best, most reliable years for outbacks, I heard the 1996 Outback with a 2.2 engine

is really great and also the post 2003's with 4 cyl engines are really solid. What other engine years

and models are solid?

Are there any subaru engines/years to avoid?

I would like an automatic transmission, what years should i look for?

Are the 6 cyl engines as reliable as the 4 cyl ones? How much better gas

mileage to the 4 cyl engines get compared to the 6 cyl engines?

I am 6ft 1inches, do any years have more headroom than others?

Are any model years safer for collisions than others?

Any options on the car I should avoid?

Thanks in advance for the help, it is sincerely appreciated!!!

-gavran8 "Subaru Virgin"

Edited by gavran8
wanted to add some details

Get a 97 - 99 Outback with a bad 2.5 engine and have a 95 2.2 engine installed. The 5 sp transmission is a much better option as most folks do not maintain the autos as they should and then the can't figure out why the trans failed at 140K when they have never changed the fluid.

If you want to keep the 2.5, motor get a 2002 or later.

The 3.0 are good solid motors as well and gas mileage will be about the same.

96-99 bodies and interior room are all about the same. Visit you local dealer and check some of them out then have your contacts go hunting for what you want.

If reliability is important to you and you want to be able to get in and drive, then I would avoid getting a car at auction. Yes deals can be had, but so can the problems that caused the previous owners to ditch the car and the previous dealer to not be able to sell it.

Imdew's suggestion is not a bad one provided your state allows an engine older then the model year of the car to be installed, something not all states agree on. Not a bid deal if you do the work yourself, but if you're going to have a shop do it, they might not want to if it is illegal.

The 2.2l engine up to '96 is a non-interference engine and, while a little underpowered, is considered one of subaru's best engines in terms of reliability and longevity.

Good luck with your hunt. Do some searches here and you should be able to answer any question you have.

Will-

If reliability is important to you and you want to be able to get in and drive, then I would avoid getting a car at auction. Yes deals can be had, but so can the problems that caused the previous owners to ditch the car and the previous dealer to not be able to sell it.

Imdew's suggestion is not a bad one provided your state allows an engine older then the model year of the car to be installed, something not all states agree on. Not a bid deal if you do the work yourself, but if you're going to have a shop do it, they might not want to if it is illegal.

The 2.2l engine up to '96 is a non-interference engine and, while a little underpowered, is considered one of subaru's best engines in terms of reliability and longevity.

Good luck with your hunt. Do some searches here and you should be able to answer any question you have.

Will-

Fully agree with above, while you can purchase a car at auction at a reduced price, longevity is never guaranteed. If you can, go to the auction with your buddy, find a Subie that appears to have been well cared for, by being clean inside and out with minimal body damage. Avoid cars that have had body damage repairs.

Once purchased, have the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, tensioner, and oil seal replaced at one time. There is a substantial labor savings when all this work is done at once. This work helps assure future reliability of the car.

Good luck on finding a nice Outback. My wife and I drive 98 and 99 Outbacks, and love 'em.

Auctions are fine if you can check it over first. Sight unseen is always bad. The newer the vehicle the better chance of not getting a problem child.

The H6 motors are great and your best bet. Those vehicles are also the safest, they come with side impact air bags, VDC and are big vehicles.

As for reliability the H6 or 1996 EJ22 are by far the most reliable. But for the EJ22 you have to get a manual outback.

If you have to settle for an EJ25 get a 2000+ OBW, those EJ25's are better than the earlier models. When the head gasket blows (their biggest problem), these later ones don't leave you stranded. The 2000+ OBW EJ25's will start leaking but not overheat until it runs lows on coolant, which usually takes awhile and is easily refilled.

Also - if you know where to look the later ones are easy to tell just by peaking under the hood. The earlier models can avoid detection for a while and wont' show on a test drive. But they will ocassionally overheat no matter if the coolant is full or not - which means you're stranded.

I would avoid the 1996-1999 EJ25's, they are the worst by far on a number of counts. Still a good engine, it's not like they're junk, but not nearly as consistent and reliable as other options.

Auctions are fine if you can check it over first. Sight unseen is always bad. The newer the vehicle the better chance of not getting a problem child.

The H6 motors are great and your best bet. Those vehicles are also the safest, they come with side impact air bags, VDC and are big vehicles.

As for reliability the H6 or 1996 EJ22 are by far the most reliable. But for the EJ22 you have to get a manual outback.

If you have to settle for an EJ25 get a 2000+ OBW, those EJ25's are better than the earlier models. When the head gasket blows (their biggest problem), these later ones don't leave you stranded. The 2000+ OBW EJ25's will start leaking but not overheat until it runs lows on coolant, which usually takes awhile and is easily refilled.

Also - if you know where to look the later ones are easy to tell just by peaking under the hood. The earlier models can avoid detection for a while and wont' show on a test drive. But they will ocassionally overheat no matter if the coolant is full or not - which means you're stranded.

I would avoid the 1996-1999 EJ25's, they are the worst by far on a number of counts. Still a good engine, it's not like they're junk, but not nearly as consistent and reliable as other options.

I agree. Those years are what made me go back to 80's Subarus. Post-2000s cost more than I'm willing to pay right now. Do get all the recommended work done as per another post. All Subarus will need all those done and labor is a grip and a half.

I've owned a 97 OutBackWagon Limited, an 02 OBW LTD, and presently have an 07 OBW LTD. If money is available to allow you to own a newer vehicle, definitely go for an 05 or newer. Each of the OBW's I've owned were terrific, but each newer model series was better than the one before.

For instance, the 97 required you to remove the rear headrests, then fold the rear seat bottom forward, then flip the rear seat backs down to obtain the extra rear cargo space. And there was no place to put the cargo cover other than on the rear floor.

The 02 required the head rests be pulled, but you only had to flip the rear seat backs down to enlarge the cargo capacity. Its cargo cover also had to be stowed on the rear floor. Better ride and handling than the 97 in my opinion. Chinzy cupholder in the centre dash spills drinks over the radio and Heater controls.

The 07 requires only that you flip the rear seat backs down to enlarge the cargo area. The head rests can even stay on. The 07 has a stowage compartment in the floor to put the cargo cover in when not required. The ride and handling is the best of the 3 series.

Consider that an OBW with the H6 has a timing chain that does not require replacement for the life of the engine. All H4's need new timing belts every 100 000 km (the 97 series and the 02 series I believe as well) or every 168 000 km (on the 05 and newer).

I'm 6 foot 2 inches and I have no problem with headroom issues with the sunroof equipped cars. A car with no sunroof will get you another inch and a half of headroom which may be the way for you to go.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

The 07 requires only that you flip the rear seat backs down to enlarge the cargo area. The head rests can even stay on. The 07 has a stowage compartment in the floor to put the cargo cover in when not required. The ride and handling is the best of the 3 series.

I have to disagree with you on the "ride and handling" part of the '07. I have an '07, formerly drove a '99 (same as your old '97). The '99 is now my son's car, so it's still in my driveway and I drive it every once in a while.

The '07 suspension is very soft, and the rear is severly underdamped. It gets very usteady on bumpy curves. The '99 handles FAR better, especially after it got KYB GR-2s on all corners. Fortunately, the GR-2s are now available for the '05-'09 Outbacks, and I plan on upgrading long before the original struts wear out.

Otherwise, every other aspect of the new Outback is significant improvement over the old one.

• 5 weeks later...

I own a 2000 Outback Wagon Limited.

I have two complaints about the car - the moon roof and the automatic transmission.

First, regarding the moon roof. The drainage tubes that carry water and drain it to the outside of the car seems to have a tendency to clog. At least my rear tubes do. The first time this happened to me I paid the dealership to clean out the drainage tubes. I did it myself twice after that first time. And, it is leaking again which means those same drainage lines are clogged once again. I usually park it nose down (even a slight angle is sufficient) to keep water out of the rear wagon area. On my car I have never had to clean the front drainage tubes only the rear ones.

Second issue with the moon roof is that the front unit does not open as many other cars moon roofs. It only pops up for some ventilation. The rear section does open but I was disappointed by the front unit's inability to open.

Third issue with the moon roof is that something in the front mechanism has failed and the unit no longer opens or closes on its own. I have been told that the entire headliner must come out to repair it and the unit is expensive. I have not bothered to fix it.

My "other" complaint is with the automatic transmission. It seems to have issues with timely and prompt gear selection. It is very much a "slush" automatic. I takes its time to make a required up and downshifts. When slowing to a near stop but not actually stopping the transmission is very slow to downshift into first making it very sluggish to accelerate from a rolling start. After a stretch climbing up a hill the transmission is very slow to up shift. I have been told that this has been corrected on later models. Because my wife does not drive a manual car I had to buy an automatic.

I do like the winter package which includes heated front sets, heated outside mirrors, and a heated area on the front windshield. This was standard equipment on the Limited edition in 2000 but you also got the moon roof - one of my sore points - with the Limited edition. The winter package was available as an option on the standard OBW in 2000. Look for the winter package on any car you are considering.

By the way the six cylinder engine was not available until 2001.

Steve

yep, after a series of cars with leaking sunroofs, I have to say I was quite happy to buy my 2001 Forester with NO HOLE IN THE ROOF!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!! I am done with moonroof leaks. When I want blue sky, fresh air, and a pickle, I will drive my motorsickle! :banana:

I own a 2000 Outback Wagon Limited.

I have two complaints about the car - the moon roof and the automatic transmission.

First, regarding the moon roof. The drainage tubes that carry water and drain it to the outside of the car seems to have a tendency to clog. At least my rear tubes do. The first time this happened to me I paid the dealership to clean out the drainage tubes. I did it myself twice after that first time. And, it is leaking again which means those same drainage lines are clogged once again. I usually park it nose down (even a slight angle is sufficient) to keep water out of the rear wagon area. On my car I have never had to clean the front drainage tubes only the rear ones.

Second issue with the moon roof is that the front unit does not open as many other cars moon roofs. It only pops up for some ventilation. The rear section does open but I was disappointed by the front unit's inability to open.

Third issue with the moon roof is that something in the front mechanism has failed and the unit no longer opens or closes on its own. I have been told that the entire headliner must come out to repair it and the unit is expensive. I have not bothered to fix it.

My "other" complaint is with the automatic transmission. It seems to have issues with timely and prompt gear selection. It is very much a "slush" automatic. I takes its time to make a required up and downshifts. When slowing to a near stop but not actually stopping the transmission is very slow to downshift into first making it very sluggish to accelerate from a rolling start. After a stretch climbing up a hill the transmission is very slow to up shift. I have been told that this has been corrected on later models. Because my wife does not drive a manual car I had to buy an automatic.

I do like the winter package which includes heated front sets, heated outside mirrors, and a heated area on the front windshield. This was standard equipment on the Limited edition in 2000 but you also got the moon roof - one of my sore points - with the Limited edition. The winter package was available as an option on the standard OBW in 2000. Look for the winter package on any car you are considering.

By the way the six cylinder engine was not available until 2001.

Steve

going from a Acura to a Subaru is going to have its share of disappoinments, by this I mean Subarus will need maintenance, they have things go wrong with them, unlike your Acura. When they first started selling Acuras in the states, the Acura dealers got a big disappointment, in the only services they got in their shops were oil changes and brakes, tire rotations. There were no other services to do, nothing went wrong with them, they were a great car. Service centers did not keep busy. So they just kept selling more and more Acuras. Good car.

Subarus, have all kinds of little things go wrong, some big. You will enjoy the AWD and safety, and all the good stuff of why we all like Subaru. Once you have the AWD you won't go back. But there will be maintenance items for sure, whereas your Acura probably had none.

Do not get a pre 2003 2.5 engine outback. If you go with a pre 2003 car, get the one with the 2.2 engine.

If you go with a 2003 and newer, get the H6 or even the 2.5 after 2003

Every technician I have talked to has told me to avoid the H6. Not that its a bad engine, just that it is an enormous pain in the butt to work on. Which means that book times for repairs are higher and, since the technicians don't want to work on them, you get charged shop rate * book time. Whereas, with the Ej25 or Ej22, you're much more likely to get a pro-rate.

Stay away from any 2.5. Even the newer ones. Okay, maybe they don't have as much head gasket leak problems, but they still have them.

The 6 cylinder sounds nice, but try changing spark plugs. fugget about it. Jack the engine.

Find a nice later model Legacy L with 2.2. Put Outback struts on it and go.

Or, if you don't really need All Wheel Drive, find a good 95-97 Honda Accord wagon and just drive the wheels off it for the next 10 years.

going from a Acura to a Subaru is going to have its share of disappoinments, by this I mean Subarus will need maintenance, they have things go wrong with them, unlike your Acura. When they first started selling Acuras in the states, the Acura dealers got a big disappointment, in the only services they got in their shops were oil changes and brakes, tire rotations. There were no other services to do, nothing went wrong with them, they were a great car. Service centers did not keep busy. So they just kept selling more and more Acuras. Good car.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I tried to replace the alternator on a friend's acura once.... you have to jack up the car, remove one wheel, and go in from the wheel well to do it. Maybe they don't break much, but at least the subaru is easy to get to most parts on. And, another friend with the same acura had the alternator go bad too... I said, "too bad".

I hate automatic transmissions. Especially slushy ones. However, I though that the subaru automatic is one of the less annoying ones I've driven. The 1994 Legacy I drove for a little was not that bad. Required a little manual shifting, but not full time like the new chevy pickups at work which will never be in the gear I want them to be in if I don't shift manually. The '07 outbacks we have at work are a little slushier than the '94 was, but they have the slapshifter, so I just put them into manual. I think all of the new automatics have the slapshifter -- not sure what year they started doing that.