Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody seen or heard from Skip?

Yep - yesterday.

PM me if you're interested.

He won't be around much for a while and spotty when he is.

Nothing to do with anything that happened here.

Hope its nothing serious?

Give him our best wishes whatever it may be.

There will probably be more pics. I've received a few including new toys/interests. I'm starting to get jealous.

He's just not online much.

Like I said. Skip and the Captain are alive and well and enjoying themselves. Just not online much. Even emails are very infrequent.

• 2 years later...

That reminds me.

He sent me a letter for Cmas and I set it aside and didn't read it yet.

I'll have to look for it. If anything mentions the club I'll post.

But the Captain (his wife) and Skip spend most of their time in the Carolina's and Florida and have for several years.

Frankly I don't know why they keep a place here anymore other than a place for Skip's stuff. And if he's not home to even play with it...

But seriousely they are enjoying their retirement years. Have good folks who watch their stuff while they are gone.

I'm happy for them.

Skip has mostly moved on to more "portable" hobbies they can take with them. Other than his customized gold cart and trailer he was getting big into RC cars and boats.

Skip is how I found out about this site. You can discuss amongst yourselves if that was a good thing or not!

Thanks for the update. It's great to hear that he and his wife are enjoying themselves. I'm glad he got he introduced you to the site. He always seemed to have good posts and I realized he hadn't posted in a long time. His userid is 8 so he must've been one of the originals!

Many people you hear they retire and then pass away within a year or two because they weren't prepared for it. To have hobbies and activities you can enjoy and keep busy and active with seems key.

I believe I hauled that Brat for him to the fella that painted it.

And then to his garage when it was done.

I don't think he's ever driven it since. Heck - he hasn't been home.

IIR he bought it in Ohio and had it at a place he used to work at sometimes which is where I picked it up. He had been hiding it from "the Captain" for a while.

Yea.

I miss his occasional appearance at my garage as well.

When he was home lets say late spring I was laid up after an accident and I didn't see him.

Great guy. Lots to learn from him.

He has the ability to "persuade" rusty stuff to come apart like I've never seen. I have tried to pick up some of his methods and use them now.

He's formally "overly educated" as well, but still a good guy.

His wife and Skip love the RV vagabond lifetyle in warmer climes. Not a bad life if you can pull it off. I'm happy for them both. INfact if any of you are on any RC MB's I'd be on the lookout for Skip simply because its a "traveling hobby".

Edited by davebugs

I had the chance to see his personal haynes book as it was being borrowed by another member. It had a lot of notes scribblled in it, as well as his real name on the cover. In response to skip replying to me as Donald, he didn't like it too much when i addressed him by his real name.

I have seen him logged in over the years. By now i am sure he has retired into his hobbies and interests, ans anyone who works all their life deserves to do.

Donald isn't his normal name anyways. On the rare occasion you see his "real name" it's Gary.

For all I know he's Donald Gary - but he truely does go by Skip(per) and the wife is the "Captain".

Now you're giving me incentive to find his Cmas card/letter. I am in cleanup mode getting ready for taxes, lots of catching up to do this year from being laid up a bit. I layed it aside to read and misplaced it. Especially since I'm not sure I saw him at all last year.

Guess I should drop him an email.

I also miss him - he was so helpful - and patient! - when my old Hildy was giving me fits one time - finally got it sorted out thanks to him.

and, i miss his dry sense of humor. :D

and anyone that does talk/email with him - tell him Heartless says hello!!