Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I made it to work with the Lower, two-plate adapter that came with the Redline-Weber conversion Kit, but once I removed that two-plate adapter for the Stronger, more taller Transdapt one, I had to get rid of all that Stuff, because the increase tallness will never let it work, unless you increase the tallness of the Vacuum operated accelerator actuator...

Kind Regards.

Didn't change -Mains are 140, Primary idle .060, secondary idle .050,  Air corrector primary 170, secondary idle 160 -seems pretty good. 

Jeszek -I read where you made the a/c idle control work, but the angle is not happening. Got a pic of that?  Is this worth messing with or should I get rid of it?

The bracket for the AC idle control, that is on your old carb, can be modified to work with the weber, and that adapter youre using. Its a bit of a pain, and trial and error. Ill try to remember to get some pics of mine

Just lifted my 86 gl wagon with 2 inch tubing crammed underneath it and then added on the stock 2inch lift 
2 inch wheel spacers and 31 inch tires literally crammed underneath it (with some persuading grinding and sawzalling of course)

Now i'm just getting ready for the ej22 swap and then i'll be off roading with you guys

I started driving mine again after having it sit since December. Being that it is FWD only, and I live on a hill I didn't want to do the walk of shame to my house if we got the one snow day we usually get. That day never came where I live. 

Got it going Saturday, had to charge the battery and wipe the condensation off the inside of the distributor cap.  Took it out and gave it a good wash at the car wash in that sunny weather we just had.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Started up the Brat for the first time in two weeks. Fired right up with one pump of the gas pedal.  Then let it warm up while I cleared the driveway of the cement that fell last night.  Moved it over to the corner of the lot so the plow can get through if it snows again tonight. Put it 4lo and climbed in reverse into a pretty deep snow bank, sure likes the snow.

Skiing again got in the way of taking out the Brat for a drive.  Just cant give up the luxury of heated seats and the vroom of the H6 climbing up the canyon roads.

Been thinking about putting it on Ebay but then I think about how much enjoyable it will be to drive with the t tops up on a warm summer day.

• Like 1

Replaced the clutch, used a secondhand one as I have yet to get together all the bits to put the five speed in, Pulled the motor only to find that the failure was because the throwout bearing had seized and broken the fingers off the diaphragm spring.

Had to drive it starting off in gear from the lights and change up and down with a clutch that would not disengage for four days going to work, Interesting times indeed, good thing I rif=de Motorcycles and know how to change gear without a clutch both up and down.

Pulled it and found virtually no measurable wear on the original clutch plate after six years of ownership so I put the original clutch plate back in as it was still perfecy no loose springs or wear or glazing on the friction surface.

Subaru's are unstoppable.

Just a thought... and there may be a reason as to why... but... why hasent a timing chain setup been developed... its better than the belts... my camaro has a double chain and its 600 hp capable... y not a soob????.. just a thought cuz that is one weak point next to head gaskets and cracks.

Edited by marcusgl10z28

Facing hard times lately... (New Taxes in Honduras) ...I've to sell the Almost New set of Wheels (15" Rims + 25" Tires) that I obtained for my Beloved Subaru "BumbleBeast" some time ago...

It was a Good Deal, so I can't complain... The buyer almost paid the price I paid for everything, minus a percentage equal to the amount I wear from the Tires; and as a Plus, he gave me his old steel rims 
(Also 15" with 25" tires) from his Hyundai Elantra.

What I Discovered is Nice: The Hyundai Elantra's 15" Rims has exactly the Same Offset than the Subaru's Original 13" Rims!!! ... Look at the Pictures:

I Hope I could buy a New set of 15" rims + Tires soon... 

In honduras, schools start at February and ends at early november, so from mid november to January are vacation time... I needed the Money to pay the Tuition of my Li'l Daughter, for her School...

Also, as I mentioned in Post Nº 18 of my Subie's build thread, I changed the Lug Pattern, from 4X140 to 4X114.3 since year 1996 without issues; that is the reason Why, any 114.3 rims will fit right on my "BumbleBeast"   :D 

Edit: I forgot to say that the Nissan 240sx 15" alloys also has the Proper Offset, (40)

I have one of those as Spare Tire, see it next to one of the Rims of the set I just sold:

HPIM4897.jpg

I posted this @ Facebook, some time ago:

Some douchebag Driver was passing me in a Curve, when an incoming car appeared, so he steered his car against mine and in order to avoid an accident, I had to pull fast to the Right side of the Road... where a monstrous pothole was waiting for my Subie's Tire...

I had to change tires on that side of the Road... but the Tire has two cuts, of around 1 inch long each, in the Green Marked Areas ...  :angry: ... I Hate douchebag Drivers...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Gave Ned a bath today.

Just wanna shout out to him... 40k on a bad headgasket and now hes pusing 1.5k on a mysterious coolant leak... leaving coolant all over the motor.... Im trying to get the leak to happen when Im under the hood.... revving the motor to 6K and holding it there... leaving it running for long periods of time, leaving it at 4K RPMs for 5 minutes etc... cant get coolant to come out anywhere. But once I close the hood and drive somewhere around 5-10 miles away I see the faint white smoke from under the hood :/ poor Ned. Hard to believe by the time I finish the EA82 Im resealing... Ill be ready to buy my EJ22 and reseal that so I can start swapping him... This part is gonna be exciting.

On the WRX... Did some shopping... Needs a TB/WP job something fierce (112k miles) and ended up deciding to blow my entire tax return on parts... That car is gonna be expensive.

Yes, newer cars are Expensive to Fix...

Decades ago, when my "BumbleBeast" had its first Head Gasket problem, it was "Blowing" outside the engine the coolant, only at Operating Temperatures (warm), from a point under the engine, where the head meets the block, nearby the Exhaust port... the only way I could find that, was to crawl under the Subie to inspect the engine when it was off and cool; then I found a very "Clean" area right there: the Hot coolant coming out, came as Vapor which cleaned said Area, and that is the Reason why it was very Hard to find the leakage.

Maybe it is the same case happening with Ned?

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

Just a thought... and there may be a reason as to why... but... why hasent a timing chain setup been developed... its better than the belts... my camaro has a double chain and its 600 hp capable... y not a soob????.. just a thought cuz that is one weak point next to head gaskets and cracks.

Timing belts vs chains have nothing to do with power output. No power flows through the belt, it just turns the cams. As Loyale 2.7 Turbo said, the new FB motors use chains as do the EZ30/36 engines.

• Like 1

Yes, newer cars are Expensive to Fix...

Decades ago, when my "BumbleBeast" had its first Head Gasket problem, it was "Blowing" outside the engine the coolant, only at Operating Temperatures (warm), from a point under the engine, where the head meets the block, nearby the Exhaust port... the only way I could find that, was to crawl under the Subie to inspect the engine when it was off and cool; then I found a very "Clean" area right there: the Hot coolant coming out, came as Vapor which cleaned said Area, and that is the Reason why it was very Hard to find the leakage.

Maybe it is the same case happening with Ned?

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

Agreed! I started with a $600 bill, now its over $1300 and Im not increasing any power, just helping keep it cool.

That could be... At my work, my mechanics have a constant supply of brake-kleen so were gonna grab some empty cans, refill them and just brake-kleen the entire motor so I can see the leaks... I have so much mud that its impossible to tell where the leak is pinpointed because all I have is dry mud and then wet mud in areas... but the wet areas could have leaks from anywhere, and just be spreading.

... just brake-kleen the entire motor so I can see the leaks...

Be Careful, because as Far as I Know, brake cleaner could be Dangerous for certain Hoses, plastics & Seals... See:

~►  http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=350087

~►  http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/clean-engine-brake-cleaner-1130351/

Kind Regards.