Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Yea that helps for what its worth. I dunno if the switch is crapping out or if it is a connection.. I moved the wire around and it still is the same lol. Whats funny is, the door light will fade in and out for a few min when you first start it then it just stays on. odd? Its not a big deal, just was wondering if anyone else had this.

Funny little things eh. Haha!

-Tom

Where did you buy your new gate struts? I need to buy some new ones aswell, my gate falls sometimes when its cold out lol (Unexpected "Wham!")

-Tom :)

I was going to get them at our local NAPA where I get most of my parts. However, these were a bit higher there and not in stock. So, I turned to Ebay. Bought them from seller mrlousstuff and they were shipped to me quickly. These are the ones I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Wagon-Tailgate-Lift-Supports-Subaru-DL-GL-Wagon-1986_W0QQitemZ370331335394QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item563977bae2 2 for $50 not bad. Have to watch what years as they differ slightly. Also, some sellers sell them individually and some as a pair so look for that as well. Easy to think you are getting a great deal on 2 when you are only getting one cause they show two in the photos.

The brand I ended up with was strong arm and the quality seems to be great. The lift gate will open on it's own once you start it. Then it slows to a stop to full open. I would recommend this seller though. Sent me tracking info and was packaged well.

Good luck.

KB

Edited by kybishop

Yes on the 27th, Its no biggie about the timing light (Ain't in no rush)

I will prolly be at Miles for who knows how long lol.

As for your wheels, all the time. It looks really high in the @ss and the camber looks wrong. Just odd, I dunno lol.

i'll see about saturday, i gotta get that lcd projector over there for him to check out. maybe i'll be able to do it saturday night we'll see.

the right height looks pretty normal as far as i can tell, as far as the camber i'll have to investigate.

Way to go Twitch :headbang:

Interested in the follow-up to this... :popcorn:

I bought a custom one-piece drive shaft for my BRAT :banana:

Now I'm putting it back together with the "new" 85' 5sp d/r and finally get to

drive it with all the gears! :headbang:

Hopefully I'll get it done tomorrow before work.

Just taking a break before finishing putting the axles back in and putting the

drive shaft in.

WOO HOO!!!!

Twitch

Oh yeah, right before the new lift supports for the GL and tranny oil and filter change on the OBW...

New front lifetime NAPA brake pads and rotors on the OBW. Always have great luck with these and I did get free replacements when they did wear out on the Jeep I had.

Then balance and rotate the OBW tires. Patch one with a leak.

Have new KYB GR2 struts for the OBW to put on soon.

New exhaust a couple months ago on the GL.

Plan to have the GL rusty rockers cut and ground off soon and replaced with some welded in square steel rock sliders. Same shop that fixed the underbody. They ground out what little rust underneath I had and welded in stainless steel.

KB

Way to go Twitch :headbang:

Interested in the follow-up to this... :popcorn:

Well, I didn't get it done before work, but got it done after.

Its just getting transferred back onto the insurance and its ready to drive.

I gotta fab up a better 4wd engagement system, but for now its bound

together by friction :D

Two of my exhaust studs stripped :mad:

So I get to drill them out bigger and tap them.

So, even though its driveable its not "technically" street legal.

Grrrrrrr...

Oh well, IT'S ALIVE (again)

So I get to drive my baby, even though he's trying to DEAFEN me...

Twitch

PS: And I discovered you CAN drive with you exhaust sitting on your rear

axle :rolleyes:, I was wondering what that excess rattling was...

85 XT Turbo coupe fwd...

Repair work:

Did HG job, valves services, replaced a cam, rebuilt all the lifters, did the oil pan, cam and crank seals, rebuilt oil pump, resealed water pump, new gaskets for exhaust, intake and valve cover. Fixed all the vacuum leaks. new timing belts. sparks plugs + wires + cap.. air filter, and synthetic oil.

Modifications:

Electric fan swap for mechanical fan, Maxima alternator swap.

Future plans: gut the CATS(not the animal) get a TMIC and bypass valve, boost controller and gauge.

I nailed a freakin rock this morning that was buried in the snow:-\

it was a good 60lb piece of granite, and I was going maybe 20ish.

tire's gone. wheel's done too. sonofa...

now after lookin at getting new snow tires, and finding a ridiculous lack of tires for 13" rims, I'm cramming info on going to a 14-15" rim

that looks pretty sweet man, but holy crap, that dif wouldnt last more than 2 seconds on the roads around here!:eek:

I lowered the car about 5cm in rear last night, haven't taken it out for a spin yet... I think I have to higher it again :D We'll see... :P

here is a video before I lowered it in the back...

nice car. i like the set up you got on that. thanks for the pics and vids:banana:

I lowered the car about 5cm in rear last night, haven't taken it out for a spin yet... I think I have to higher it again :D We'll see... :P

here is a video before I lowered it in the back...

I just got done tapping my heads to 12x1.5 thread pitch, cuz when I installed

my new tranny, the exhaust studs stripped, big surprise there :rolleyes:

So I drilled it out, tapped it and reinstalled it has no leaks!!! :banana:

Heck of a lot better than blowing straight off the head.

Not to mention QUIETER!!!!

Twitch

When I first bought my Outback Sport, I stripped all the decals and badges off, except for the one in the center of the grille. I found a 2000 Forester at the junkyard last week, and thought the bigger letters would look on my OBS. I carefully measured the gaps between the letters on the Forester before I removed them. when I got home, I cleaned all the old adhesive off the back of the letters, and applied new 3M trim adhesive tape. The hatch still has some ghosts of where the old letters were, so I used them to measure the center, and figure out where to apply the new letters. It sounds complicated, but it was easier than trying to measure it,as there is not a straight line to be found the hatch. It's not perfect, but close enough.

Subaru002.jpg

Subaru001.jpg

The original IMPREZA bumper cover was removed for a cleaner look, but I found that the paint underneath was messed up due to dirt and grit getting under the cover. Using the cover as a template, I painted it with a few coats of Duplicolor spray-on truck bed liner. It has held up great, and gives my dogs something grippier to step on getting in and out of the back.

2.5_IMP, I like how those letters look on the OBS! Looks good.

I got my new Gas charged gate struts yeasterday and installed them, Wow its so nice to have the gate lift its self and stay up in the cold. No more "Wham!" :lol:

Strong Arm Brand.

2010_0304Test0001.jpg

I also Put a 2" pipe in place of the muffler. Sounds pretty good I think, Seems to have better pick-up now.

2010_0304Test0004.jpg

2010_0304Test0005.jpg

Video!

-Tom

Well, I havent done anything to it yet, but I just purchased my first soob yesterday. Its a 88 XT. First, gotta hit up the yard and replace the air suspension with that of a loyale. then its off to have a cheap coat of paint to prevent any rust. Will post pics of car as is and after each step.

Thanks for all the help from you guys yesterday. Im excited to be in the would of soobs.:grin: