Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 loyale oil pan plug stuck.

Rust

Had the oil changed once in Alaska. Next time I went to do it myself. Tried every tool I had to include a 24" pipe wrench I couldn't loosen it. Took car back to the shop that last changed the oil and got the "can't be anything we did" runaround. Took car to another shop. left it and somehow they got it out. Have no idea how.

...Have no idea how.

Some Amount of Penetratin` Oil like PB Blaster + some Hits to the Plug can loosen it and Help to Remove it out.

My EA82 Warrior had similar Problems with the Drain Plug at the Oil Pan, but then the fault was a Weared Plug, it had Round Corners and the tool Failed to Grip... So I Removed Both Battery Cables and Welded Right to the Plug, a Huge Nut from a Truck`s Bolt; then was Easy to Hold the Plug with a Bigger Tool.

Maybe Both Ideas can Help you...

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

It will definately need a new crush washer when it goes back on.

Take off the skid plate. Use visegrips, really tight. Hit them with a hammer.

Or a pipewrench and hammer.

You may be able to salvage the plug, but it won't be 17 mm across the flats anymore.

Is there one of those plugs with a valve for Loyales? I couldn't find one.

got it out by cutting it out 1/3 of the lip w/ a cut wheel and then pipe wrenching it. luckilly it wasn't cross threaded and i put another plug in it. I'd love to meet the swifty tech who torqued the crap out of it wherever the previous owner brought it to for an oil change, and thank him for turning a 20 minute oil change into a 2 hour knuckle-buster for me.....F-Jiffy Lube

F-Jiffy Lube

I couldn't agree more. A couple of years ago I bought an older Honda. The fellow I got the car from had the oil changed the day before I picked up the car. Stopped on my way home, and happened to notice an unusually large amount of oil under the car. Huh, I thought, as the car didn't leak when I looked at it a few days earlier. Crawled under neath, and the drain plug was finger tight, working its way loose. Found a pair of plires in the trunk, and a quart of oil and was able to get home. If I hadn't of stopped though, that motor would have been toast!

I have reviewed the suggestions given, and having a lot of experience with stuck bolts, this one (quoted from the previous poster) is definitely the BEST:

'Some Amount of Penetratin` Oil like PB Blaster...'

YES! This one works almost every time, but you have to do it right, and be patient.

Spray all around the bolt. Wait one hour. Spray it again. Wait a half hour. Spray it AGAIN and try it ten minutes later.

Also: Pushing and pulling won't work. Get a good 1/2" socket wrench and the proper socket, or a breaker bar attached to the proper socket. Tap on the end of the breaker bar with a small sledge hammer. Not too hard...the idea is to 'shock' it loose, not snap off the head of the bolt. With patience and time, I have freed many a tight bolt this way without damaging the bolt.

If this doesn't work, you may have to remove the oil pan. After cleaning out all the black gunk inside the pan, then you can apply the spray from the INSIDE and let it run down for a few hours into the bolt threads. BTW...PB Blaster works a LOT better than 'Liquid Wrench'.

After doing this, if the bolt still wont come loose, you have two choices. First, you can re-install the pan with a new gasket and new oil and try again. Second...you can drill out the center of the bolt while the pan is out of the car. Your choice.

An in-between alternative is to re-install the pan, but don't tighten up the bolts so much that they compress the new pan gasket, and don't put in the new oil yet (of course) ...and then try to remove the bolt. If it comes off, you are good to go. You can then tighten up the pan bolts, and put in the new oil...and install a NEW oil pan bolt. I would dump the old one in any case. Can't trust it not to get stuck a second time...

Edited by Robert M