Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Hatch Patrol story-the unveiling(with pics)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken, when i said 'cheap' i didnt mean value of the parts. Kinda meant that it was a cheaper way than building a new rear IFS. In reality, the Solid Axle is the only way to go. You and the Hatch Patrol (expecially you Ken) have always been pushing new limits, and this Brat was the perfect candidate for the swap.

Hope I can keep up in August.

-Brian

FHI =

Fuji

Heavy-duty

Insanity?

Man I just love all this evolution and mutation. Wonder what'll happen when someone comes to the table with a huge budget, advanced R&D facilities and a desire to build the ultimate-ultimate offroad subaru?

How about an even more complete Hatch Patrol history, going back to Todd's crew wheelin' with Zap at Evan's Creek. Also should give credit to all those nuts who were offroading and modifying Subarus as early as the 1970's. Major props go out to the Aussis for putting their offroad exploits on the internet. And if Brett hadn't shipped those first few lift kits to the states it might have taken a lot longer for the cult to catch on. Thanks Back Yard Boys, Offroad Subaru Club of Queensland, etc. etc!

Many Many Props go out to the people that are responsible for this. Not for the idea, cause that has crossed many a man's mind before but for actually doing it. It must have been a Sh*t load of work but as long as it works out for Ken and it is what Ken wanted then no one else needs to worry about it. It's Ken's ride. It's like someone else said (They beat me to it) We all have our lines that we will/won't cross and we also all have our budgets. Ken isn't afraid to use the mods he has made unlike others that have come/gone here. Me, I just don't seem to have the money/time. I have some stuff but just don't know if I will ever get around to it.

Bottom line. You do what you want to your ride and everyone else will do what they want to theirs. It's not a competition. Now, Ken and whoever helped him can help others who want to do this. They did it because they wanted to.

Wow, I am speechless.

I knew solid rear axles were in the near future, and sort of figured that Ken and the rest of the crew that pulled this off would be the guys to do it. Good job, and I can't wait to see how this thing does on the trail (and, fingers crossed, at WCSS6).

I think I may have come off alittle too strong earlier. I do like the idea. As a matter of fact I'm going to be helping out Soobme when he does his straight axle in the rear.

There are always going to be improvements, adding stuff, taking away (I HATE STRUTS!!!), but for most part it will still be a Subaru, at least to a point, a Brat on a CJ chassis isn't in my book, thats too far, I think that it should at least have 75% Subaru in it.

As far as the whole V6 thing, thats gotta be aimed towards Rob (The only person I know to put a non-Soob motor in a Soob. A momentary lapse of reason I think), not me, cause if you lift my hood, it says plain as day on the top cover, SUBARU H6.

I liken the H6 swap to dropping a big block in a domestic that came with a small block. As I said, with some changes to the sheet metal like they did on the XT6 they could have fit the H6 in the BRAT from the factory.

I came so close to going with the Cummins turbo deisel, following sort of the same reasoning as the Jeep folks. But two things stopped me. First, I already have more than enough power to do the job, it was honestly more for the sound and smoke than anything practical. And second, one of the most common questions I get after someone sees it run and hears the dual sidepipes is asking if that is a V8 in it. I love telling them that it is all Subaru power they are hearing/seeing. I have to admit that a fair ammount of my choice in modifications is influenced by not allowing someone the luxury of saying "The only reason it can do this or that is because it has the Subaru stuff taken out."

I'd think you could add knuckles to the tubes on that rear axle.... </hijack>

Sorry bout that.... Anyway, looks good! Great work guys. I'm kinda disappointed, though because I was hoping to be the first. Well, I suppose I still might be...sort of. Looking at using a set of danas, but haven't decided on a model. As far as the availability of lockers goes...trust me when I say..."there is some serious work going on in that area". 'nuff said. Let you know when we've got it running.

Man I just love all this evolution and mutation. Wonder what'll happen when someone comes to the table with a huge budget, advanced R&D facilities and a desire to build the ultimate-ultimate offroad subaru?

Mike, funny you should say that, I have the plans for my garage (thanks to Tex's dad), it will probably be built during next winter. Then I will have a place to carry out my R&D ideas for the UltimateOffRoadSubaru. I don't have the deep pockets that it might take, but I can wait and save, then do some more, wait and save, then some more, you get the picture.

It may not be street drivable or maybe not the best rock crawler, but it will be able to run Baja or Paris to Dakar.

"Width is a more limiting factor then height with the struts up front."

Not so. Struts (now coil overs) fit just fine with 33x16s and a full turn radius. They did clear just as well with the full size springs. No problems there. You can't go much wider than that.

I was refering to OEM struts. Plenty of room to go wide with different coil overs upfront. I didnt see any verbage on what was done to the front suspension so I assumed they were still OEM struts up front in which case width is limited.

So Ken what was done to the suspension up front to achieve the 10" body/suspension lift? How wide are those tires? How did you clear for mounting and turning those beasts? Lots of positivie offset at the wheels?

Curiouse minds must know!

31s are not hard to fit against the stock strut. I've got some 30x9.5s on 15x7 rims with about an 1.5" more offset than than a subaru rim (measuring depth from the outside face to the lip) and I am about 0.75" from hitting the bottom spring plate.

So zap, are you content with your rigs setup right now or are you thinking about stepping up to the next level?

I likes it! My hat's off to you Guys for doing the Mod.

Had same thoughts here for my '82, may still do it, may not, still trying to engineer out the front-end stuff.

Adding a solid axle to a Subaru, does not, not make it a Subaru anymore than putting Pug rims on one would, and there's alot of them out there with Pugs on. Same for those out there with Non-Subaru intercoolers on them.

When you want to improve on the performance of a vehicle, you have to make sacrafices sometimes. This is true in whatever venue you chose to operate the vehicle in. Subarus are quite capable vehicles in stock form, but they do have their limits, just like any other factory stock vehicle. Add in a few mods, and you can improve on the vehicle, a few more mods, maybe even better now.

Some times, you have to think outside of the box. I likes that saying.......

So zap, are you content with your rigs setup right now or are you thinking about stepping up to the next level?
I like my hatch the way it is. Once Ken proves to me that I can't follow him any more with his Brat, I'll look to upgrade. I have a great idea for a baha looking rig, but I kinda intend to build a 3 door loyale with Ken's set up if it proves to be formidable. You guys will maybe hate me, cuz I wanna add Toyota solid axles front and rear. Quit playing completely.

My hatch gets me everywhere I try to take it. I'm pretty comfortable with it in really hairy situations. (ask around)

I like its looks and the looks I get from people driving by.

I dig mashing the peddle and charging the hill instead of creapy crawling up it.

I dig the looks on the faces of the packs of Jeeps as they get to the top of

311a (Evans Creekers know what I mean) and my little hatch is sitting there. There's a certain pride to be felt/had knowing your little Soobie made it up there with a little welding of the rear and a little lift and the littlest Swampers you can get. I've had 2 Samurais, both easy matches for the Subies, but they just aren't as cool and they drive like sheets of plywood on the highway.

How wide are those tires? How did you clear for mounting and turning those beasts? Lots of positivie offset at the wheels?

Tires are borrowed to test fit before deciding what kind/size to buy. They are 31/10.50s. The wheels aren't that offset. WHich is good, more offset is harder on wheel bearings.

Adding a solid axle to a Subaru, does not, not make it a Subaru anymore than putting Pug rims on one would, and there's alot of them out there with Pugs on. Same for those out there with Non-Subaru intercoolers on them.
What about Weber Carbs, Sony Stereos, Accel Coils? Well put Tom.

"I was refering to OEM struts. Plenty of room to go wide with different coil overs upfront. I didnt see any verbage on what was done to the front suspension so I assumed they were still OEM struts up front in which case width is limited."

The same 33x16s that fit with my coil overs DID fit with the OEM struts. You have to go up to the high 30's to get much wider than the 33x16s. My point is that since there isn't anything wider than that in any size that will fit our rigs the struts are not a width limiting factor.

31s are not hard to fit against the stock strut. I've got some 30x9.5s on 15x7 rims with about an 1.5" more offset than than a subaru rim (measuring depth from the outside face to the lip) and I am about 0.75" from hitting the bottom spring plate.

Like I said; height isnt an issue really its the width that OEM struts limit. I could put 33"s on my wagon becuase its the width, not the height, that is limiting. That's why, I'm guessing, SubaruBrat had to go with custom suspension up front to fit those wide meats. Doing it all with just positive offset (rims and spacers) isnt really a good idea.

I am not running any custom suspension that changes the width of wheel/tire possible as my parallel shocks still fit in the same area. The wheel I use is a 15x10 and in standard 2.5inch toyota backspacing. I understand you might guess this is not a good idea but practical experience has proven it works wonderfully.

I am not running any custom suspension that changes the width of wheel/tire possible as my parallel shocks still fit in the same area. The wheel I use is a 15x10 and in standard 2.5inch toyota backspacing. I understand you might guess this is not a good idea but practical experience has proven it works wonderfully.

But you do have pretty custom suspension up front; and that does indeed allow more clearance for width. Those ranchos are significaly more skinny then OEM struts so sitting in the same area increases clearance from suspension to tire sidewall. With those rims and with that offset I spose you would not need the skinnier suspension but you are there and I'm just looking at photos like this one :) Where it looks to me like OEM struts would rub like mad.

http://www.subarubrat.com/PICS/dirtpile11.jpg

I JUST did that coil over. The tires DID fit with the stock size struts. The coil overs were done to add long travel 14 inch coils instead of the stock springs. It had nothing to do with clearance. The ranchos are in parallel with the stock struts which are still in place, mind you with different cartridges and springs. But I assure all reading that the 33x16 will clear on 15x10 wheels in 2.5 inch backspacing. Now body clearance is another issue. At 12 inches lift and very enlarged wheel wells I have lock to lock steering clearance. At less 10 inches or less clearance would get hairy but that is body clearance, again, the strut clears.

frntshk6.JPG

frntshk8.JPG

Now the above photo shows the 30x12s, the 33x16s are closer but DO clear.