Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lookie what I found abandoned at a local gas station..

For my night job, I do trespass towing. I received a call about a month ago from one of our contract properties about a blue Subie abandoned at their gas station. I went and picked it up and drug it back to the yard. I didnt think too much of it as I figured someone would come and claim their car within a week or so. No dice.

Now its getting close to being time to file for the title and auction it off. Since I drive here, I get to have first crack at any of the vehicles before they're sold. I'm considering snatching this car for myself. I cant really understand why it would've been abandoned if it was still running right. So I figured I'd get some opinions first..

Its an 87, blue, GL Wagon. 5sp D/R. Looks pretty clean outside as well as under the hood. Nothing obviously wrong from my basic visual inspection. Shifter has a crapload of play.. but with feel, I can still find all the gears. I think its just play within the lever.. I dont hear any rattles or noises coming from the tranny case when wiggling the shifter. Gears all engage and the engine holds the car just fine when given a slight tug with the truck. Same deal with putting it into 4x and tugging from the front. Holds up good.. so I can *almost* assume theres no tranny issues.

I was curious if I gave a competent dealer the VIN, would they be able to cut an ignition key for me? I'd like to turn it over and play with it a bit before I officially take possession of it. See if theres any major internal engine damage or whatnot, since its got a handful of new parts under the hood, and the battery is fresh. Or is there a magical secret to making the starter turn over without a key (like on older Ford cars/trucks by jumping the solenoid on the fender)??? I mean.. what would be great is if I could get the ignition to be "on" and jump the starter to see if she lights up.. then worry about getting a new key cut to unlock the steering wheel later........ or am I thinking too far outside the box of reality?

Heres its stats:

Engine Family HFJ1.8T2AFK4

VIN JF2AN53B4HE475473

Is there anything interesting yall can pull out of the VIN or Family code above? My limited Subie knowledge lies within the 79GL.. dont know crap about anything else. I saw the "1.8T" on the ID plate and thought I had found me a turbo roo. I then noticed where the airbox hose went into the fender instead of somewhere else (like to a turbo!). I was crushed! Anywho.. yall chime in with some thoughts while I work out the details as to why the dang digicam wont give up its pics.

My bet is on the timing belts - try turning it over (by hand with the crank pully bolt) to see if the disty turns. If it does then check the inspection holes on the other belt to see if that one blew. If it's just belts and the price is cheap, snag it.

As for getting to the ignition switch - you can take the column plastic off and unscrew the switch from the lock cylinder. The switch turns with a flat blade screwdriver. This won't unlock the steering, but it will allow you to start the engine.

GD

psshhhh you guys and your fancy tricks. same as the ford jump the solenoid to power to get it to turn over. to get it to run, run a hotwire from the battery to the positive side of the coil. then go drivin around, if it doesnt have a steering lock =]

Nope, sorry doesn't work that way. Running the wire to the positve side of the coil does nothing on the EA82's, believe me, I've tried. The best approach is the back of the ignition switch. Take the plastic column cover off (there is a bunch of screws underneath) and you'll see the solder contacts. Does anyone know how to disable the steering lock?

My bet is on the timing belts - try turning it over (by hand with the crank pully bolt) to see if the disty turns. If it does then check the inspection holes on the other belt to see if that one blew. If it's just belts and the price is cheap, snag it.

That makes sense.. being an 87, it is an EA82 isnt it. Belts would explain why it was abandoned yet while looking good on the outside. Based on your description, I guess the dizzy is spun by one of the belts.

Where are these inspection holes? I've been learning all about the EA71.. 82s are uncharted territory for me. Since I know so little.. heres another question. In the newer cars, breaking a timing belt would mean catastrophic failure.. I guess this isnt the case with the 82? So turning it over and/or rotating the engine wouldnt hurt anything?

my local subie dealer has cut me 2 new keys for free, one from the code on the key, but the other just from the VIN. Ask before you go pulling out door locks.

-Chux

I think that only works for you towing guys - I know when I worked at a dealership (Saturn), there were stringent rules about cutting keys for people. Don't want to help out the grand theft auto statistics and all!

I think that only works for you towing guys - I know when I worked at a dealership (Saturn), there were stringent rules about cutting keys for people. Don't want to help out the grand theft auto statistics and all!

well, yes, it probably helped that I drove up in them (I only needed new keys because the old ones were almost unusably worn)

maybe the car was stolen?

pop the hood. jump the + coil terminal to the battery. that will bring the ign circuit alive(run pos)

jump the starter at the little tab on the back(black clip)

this way you can start the car with no key and the doors locked (if the hood is open first)

Nope, sorry doesn't work that way. Running the wire to the positve side of the coil does nothing on the EA82's, believe me, I've tried. The best approach is the back of the ignition switch. Take the plastic column cover off (there is a bunch of screws underneath) and you'll see the solder contacts. Does anyone know how to disable the steering lock?
yes it will work. but on loyales, you need the clutch pushed in, but that shouldnt matter.

worked for me on the gl-10 turbo. wrecked a trashwagon and it shorted out the ign. turn the key and pops fuses. hotwired the coil and drove it home. ask snotrocket and trogdor.

on ea81s if you jump one of the terminals on the pink clip, the car keeps running with the key off.

you may be able to turn the "male" part that fits into the ign switch itself with a pair of pliers. i did this in my ea81, bit the cylinder may have been worn. (screwdriver worked in the keyhole once)

Actually - most subaru engines are non-interference, so breaking a belt is no problem. This is not the case on all of the newest EJ engines, but for a long time it was. The EA82 is the same - broken belts are common, and a pain, but will not damage anything.

The disty runs off the drivers side cam - so if that side's belt is broken, the cam doesn't turn, so neither does the disty.

The inspection holes have little rubber covers on them - look close at the belt cover and you will see them. Basically you have to stick you finger in there and feel for a belt.....

GD

pop the distributor cap and crank the motor, and see if it spins. easy way to tell if the belt's broken

If ONE belt is broken. Way easier to just pop the access hole plugs out of the timing belt covers and stick youer finger in on both sides feeling both belts. They should be taunt on top and bottom. Don't even have to start the car or crank it over to find out :)

Yeah.. I havent told the bossman I "want it" yet. So it can go either way at this point. :shrug

When I first picked it up, it was sitting in neutral with handbrake up. I pulled it out of the space backwards and far enough through the parking lot to find that the steering lock is broken. The drivers door was unlocked, but the outside handle is inoperative. So I ended up having to break into the car from the passenger side to drop the brake and pop it in gear. I have complete access to the car, inside and out.

Its got a new alternator, oil changed about 1000 ago (according the the superlube sticker), new front axles, and various other items replaced. The AC system still has a charge.. so I think it might've worked when it was abandoned. As I recall, its got 100k and change on the odo... so its still got some life left. I'll recheck it when I go in tornight.

Anywho.. this afternoon before I start my runs with the truck, I'll go through it under the hood and try to find these inspection holes. They're on the front part of the engine correct? If yall can give me a detailed description of exactly where everything is, that would be great. I'll also try to do the + side to the coil deal (I wouldnt think charging the coil itself would work.. but if yall say it does, I'll try it) and jump the starter solenoid to see if it will turn over and fire off..

I think it'd kick rump roast if belts is all thats wrong with it. I'd tell the bossman that the engine is blown so he'll give it to me cheap to free. Hehe... who wants to come to Florida for their vacation to help me go 10" up with it so I can clear 31s?? :grin:

On my 86 EA82 (carbed, I tried the jumper to the coil, and still didn't have ignition.I could crank it with a jumper to the solenoid, but I couldn't get it to fire. The car started fine by tuning the key. This is my base for the jumper approach not working. I don't see how i could have jumped it wrong, I made sure it was on the positive side of the coil. Anywhoo.. I did a search on the stearing lock and found out that you can back out those rivit looking bolts that hold the ignition on to the column by using a chisel and hammer. But you said that it was broken, so thats solved. Just jump it at the switch, its more convienient.

maybe the ign fuse was blown? not to argue, but it worked on my 87 gl-10 mpfi turbo, and my 83 wagon with ea82 motor from an 86. never tried it on spfi though. try another soob and i bet a dollar i dont have that it will work!what i myself would do is try the jumper wire trick, and if that didnt work, then tear the steering column apart.

Yeah, tell him the timing belt is broken (with collateral valve damage) offer to pay him for the tow bill. He probably doesn't want to deal with the hassle of filing for title anyway. That will set you back a few hundred. We just filed for title for a 93 Mazda 929. Cost 200.00 + about 4 weeks to get it.

just for the record, my trick does work.even on the technologically advanced =] ea82s and mpfis. theres no way it cant, it just gives power to everything.

but on a side note, i walked my gf through the ignition switch removal over the phone, so ya thats easy too

Why don't you run the vin or license plates and contact the owner. If it was stolen, I'm sure the owner would be happy to get his car back.

Thats what we have to do under Florida law anyways. When the car is first towed, its reported to the local PD as to where it was pulled from, and the plate number or VIN. The PD immediately runs the info and logs it, in case someone calls it in as stolen. TPD will tell them that its not stolen, and that we have it. There have been only one car that I've pulled that came back stolen. I knew before I even got off the phone with TPD. Anywho... after 3 days in the yard we can contact DHSMV and file for the title. The way it works is the VIN is used to pull up the last owner of record. We send them a certified letter to the last address on the title, and give them 30 days to respond. If no response, DHSMV issues us a fresh title in the tow company's name on day 32...afterwhich we hold a public auction which is announced in the legal notices section of the newspaper of each car by Year, Make, and VIN. That gives the right owner one last chance to claim their car. 7 days after the notice is placed, we auction them off rather quick in an as-is, where-is state.

So yep.. we give the rightful owners a chance to step forward. :)