Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Maiden Voyage: SS Subaru

So I went to the beach this weekend...

Was having a great time, driving around on the beach and such, tearing through all those little freshwater streams that run into the ocean. Then I found a stream that wasnt so little. I couldent see how deep it was and before I know it, my car is floating onto the ocean. We had become a boat!!

At one point those waves were actually breaking OVER the hood and the water was halfway up the windows. I jumped out and manged to push the car back to where her wheels touched the ground. Only then did I manage to get a few pics:

ss_subaru_1.jpg

ss_subaru_2.jpg

ss_subaru_3.jpg

So then some guy with ALOT of tow rope pulled me out, and said "that thing will never start again". I just grinned slightly and didnt bother correcting him.

So... AAA'ed back to Portland and the next day me and GD tore into it, pulled the spark plugs and after hooking up a new battery shot about a quart of saltwater out of the compression chambers (one of the streams hit my buddy who was spectating and knocked the hat right off his head!) then we pulled the drain plug on the oil and another couple of quarts of seawater came out! After that I cranked it while GD played with the carb, SUCESS she turned over and started! The power of subaru in action. So she still won't idle so looks like its time for a carb rebuild, but other than that most everything still works, electrical is in good shape, except for the tach and the horns do weird things, but all in all I dont think many cars could have survived that.

so anyway thats my embarrassing story of the year, bigger pics can be found in the gallery

WOW I'd say you are lucky to have that Subaru still! :D That had to be so scary; trying to push it back!

I dont think mine is water proof enough to remaind boyant and float at all; id just sink to the bottom LOL

Glad to hear its running again. Migh t give her a good day or 2 in the sun with the hood up to dry EVERYTHING out :) Could help with that idle!

Yeah it was scary, at that point I was more in shock than anything else, the freezing water didnt help either. I have never seen anything quite like it, water up to the gauge cluster! and everything floating around inside, I wish I could got a pic of that! The soob has spent the last 2 days with all the doors, hood, and trunk open. Still smells like the ocean, I am going rip up all the carpet and maybe replace the seats.

Those are the best pics I've ever seen! I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laughing at that!.......but it's funny to see a Subie out to sea!

They use to float VW's around, why not Subies?

Humm.........:rolleyes: this gives me an Idea?

Still laughing!

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

shoot foam in all the crevices, put rudders for front tires, put a propeller on the driveshaft and 4wd. fill up the gas tank for more flotation and that will sure get you 90 miles down the way!we all know about the sea foam treatment, but not literally:grin:

I think with the current immigration laws, you can register it as a US citizen now!:lol:

lol!

it doesnt have to pay taxes does it?

oh yeah and I hosed the exterior including the engine bay and underbody off as soon as I got home, today I am going to rip out the carpet and take out the seats and give the interior a good hosing.

Hey Nick....

As several others have said.....water it Down....

IF you are able, rent or Go somewhere where you can get hot Fresh water on it as in Steamer styly.....I've been deep before, in a river, an Floating, but you take the cake with that one..... :headbang:

I've been trying to get ahold of you, I'll try here again in a few.......

WATER WATER WATER....otherwise you'll be hating life with that car sooner than later.......:(

Talk soon, John

Hey Nick....

As several others have said.....water it Down....

IF you are able, rent or Go somewhere where you can get hot Fresh water on it as in Steamer styly.....I've been deep before, in a river, an Floating, but you take the cake with that one..... :headbang:

I've been trying to get ahold of you, I'll try here again in a few.......

WATER WATER WATER....otherwise you'll be hating life with that car sooner than later.......:(

Talk soon, John

you got it, John i will be home at 4:00 today, give me a call after that, I will bring the phone outside while I am spraying her off.

I've heard stories of guys out on the NC coast getting caught by the tides and watching their vehicle swept out by the ocean, but never seen it. I laughed, but I can't - that might be me someday.

It was a good thing you risked it and grabbed some shots before you almost lost it to the sea.

i heard that a hatch will float, but judging how that front end is pullin the rest of th car down, it would have to have 33s to float.

looks like fun!

I think even a wagon would float if you had all the holes sealed so water couldent get inside, mine maintained buoyency (sp?) for about a minute or so, until it was full of water. on that note the trunk had less than 6 inches of water in it (vs. the 3 feet in the rest of the car) so if you want something to stay dry thats the place to put it. My backpack with my VERY expensive digital camera was sitting on top of my spare back there and was bone dry, in fact I pulled it out and took those pics with it

What I want to know is how you're going to clean the driver's seat - you must have $#!^ a brick when you lost traction!

Seriously, I'm glad you didn't get sucked out too far where you couldn't do something about it. Would have sucked to see you on the 6'oclock news as a statistic. Those rip currents are brutal on the OR coast.