Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Walmart Tires! (Question)

MSSLGECKO

Let's just say my tires are balding and I don't have the money for the SSR's that I would love to have. Anyone have experience w/ cheap Offroad tires such as (not limited to) Walmart ones? I want something that will pull offroad and will also do nicely on the highway.

Any suggestions?

Size needed are ~27" R14

Thanks

P.S. This forum rules.

MorganM has Liberator All-Terrains on, and they worked good on the trails. got a little "slicked" up in the mud though :lol:

those are about the most aggressive you can get from WalMart in a 225/70R14 tire. the Douglas Extra-Trac (or whatever) seems decent too, but slightly smaller....

Wal-Mart Liberator All Terrains. 235/75 R15 (28.9"x8.5") set of 4. $215 dismount, mount, balance, disposal of old tires. Great little tires and I'm happy. McBrat is correct though; he saw first hand how they fill up quick. They also clear out easy though if you can get some wheel spin up. I've taken them up some pretty seriouse terrain and they worked great. Wear on the highway is acceptable. They are built for a pickup truck so I'm barely working them :)

The Liberators rule. Pehaps not the best mud tire, but here in the desert they're awesome. They also roll very well, even at highway speed.

My roomies got the $80 205/14 Coopers, which are very nice tires, but not nearly as big as the $45 225/14 Liburrito.

The Liberators have a 40,000 mile warranty, plus the cost of mounting includes lifetime balance/rotation/flat repair....

I just bought a set of 205/75/14 Mastercraft Courser OTDs nice aggresive tread, seems like a softer compound rubber and I think Mastercraft is a Cooper made tyre. $355 for all four mounted and balanced. Tim
I was looking at these before I got the Liberators, they're definetly made by Cooper.

Tis pretty funny, check out both websites side by side:

Cooper

MasterCraft

Guess they only wanted to pay the web guy for one site.

Okay, new question:

I want the 29"ers (Liberators) but I'm kinda thinking that it will mess with my gearing for highway driving a little more than I'm prepared for. For those who have had the pleasure of both 29s and 27s, is there a noticeable difference (I'm using the 5Speed D/R)

Thanks

Okay, new question:

I want the 29"ers (Liberators) but I'm kinda thinking that it will mess with my gearing for highway driving a little more than I'm prepared for. For those who have had the pleasure of both 29s and 27s, is there a noticeable difference (I'm using the 5Speed D/R)

Thanks

I had 30's on a turbo brat that was lifted. highway was fine.... much better than a carbed with 30's :)

What speeds were you able to achieve? Mach 1? Warp Speed? My flux capacitor just went out last week, so I figure I will be limping along for a few days, here.

:D

I can hold 70 MPH on the interstate in 4th gear. EA82 SPFI with 29"s... wish I had a turbo !_!

Them Cooper Cobras don't look like they're gonna dig me out of the shallow end of a swimming pool. I'm looking for something that can hold me over and that means highway and offroad use until I get some real money.

I'm just having trouble seeing myself driving a 3 hour (at 80mph) trip going 70mph when I usually prefer to go somewhere between 90-110mph. I guess that's just part of the gig.

Thanks for the input.

Them Cooper Cobras don't look like they're gonna dig me out of the shallow end of a swimming pool. I'm looking for something that can hold me over and that means highway and offroad use until I get some real money.

I'm just having trouble seeing myself driving a 3 hour (at 80mph) trip going 70mph when I usually prefer to go somewhere between 90-110mph. I guess that's just part of the gig.

Thanks for the input.

That's pretty much why I decided if I want to offroad seriously I need a strictly offroad vehicle and a strict daily driver. I needed something reliable (read: warrenty) and can get me to point B quickly. Bought a KIA Rio for every day and now my GL wagon is just my ORV. Guess which one gets my side of the garage ? :brow:

That's pretty much why I decided if I want to offroad seriously I need a strictly offroad vehicle and a strict daily driver. I needed something reliable (read: warrenty) and can get me to point B quickly. Bought a KIA Rio for every day and now my GL wagon is just my ORV. Guess which one gets my side of the garage ?

I'm working towards that, I will have a few toy cars after college, but for now, I'm just trying to get my one car (read Subaru) on the road w/ insurance and tires. :banghead:

Anyhow, I'm just trying to figure out my best option considering that money is the biggest object that I do not have.