Ultimate Subaru Message Board

update 86 turbo xt mods

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That or pug wheels. That racing fuel is also what makes a HUGE difference with power output. My 9.5:1 turbo engine feels like a regular stock turbo engine on pump gas....but with racing fuel, and the timing advanced to where it shoudl be, it screams.

I think a VF22 should work great on that thing. I can also get some 15 inch pug wheels. you could slap Kumho Ecsta MX's on there and have gobs of traction with a 4wd setup. Again...i know where a cheap donor car is...and a FT4WD trans and matching diff.

again...not trying to flame

but

the mods you listed will not give you 283HP to the wheels...just having the stock turbo on the car limits you to about 160HP tops, all its doing after 14PSI is murdering itself...can you post a dyno graph?

you listed in you mods list:

intake

BOV

cap

coil

plugs

these didnt do much for your car...the only real mods i see are valve springs, lifters, FMIC, cams and exhaust - and the first 2 of which probably didnt do anything...it doesnt add up to me.

can anyone else analyze this?

WJM: i know how important cams are in increasing performance in our cars, they hold the key in our engines BUT they will not give you an extra 200 wheel HP in an EA82T.

that is certinly true. I was told 20 more hp, and about 30 more TQ from Delta cam, since my cams are a TQ grind. But it sure felt like the power was double that of the original engine. Given the org. engine was ragged out pretty bad and the new engine was sealed up, and had proper tuning. Id say I had about 180-220 at most on my RX. It was faster than a stock WRX. And sure did handle better with the suspension that i had on it.

There was a writeup once about a company who had a NA EA81 engine that got 200hp.

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445&highlight=RAM

Anyhow, I think it is possible... but I'm still skeptical a little bit. But if it IS true that the reading came out to 283 at the wheels, then I'm still in awe of the coolness.

Originally posted by dj72

Put the Xt on the dyno yesterday and found out what i'm running for horsepower. 283hp at the wheels, so i'm geussing 315-325 at the motor. Also found out the motor creates its most power at 3000-7000rpm. Nice jump from 120hp stock. More soon.

Well all i have to say is go for a ride and you will change you mind about the horsepower right away. As for mods, no cat, just straight 2.5" pipe all the way to the back going into a flopro free flow muffler then into a pacesetter resonator tip. Front mount intercooler, front mount oil cooler, turbosmart boost control valve set at 15psi, stock turbo has also been polished for smoother flow,cbv blow off valve, hks air intake, all emission and pollution stuff in trash, heads are shaved ported and polished, copper head gaskets, titanium lifters springs and retainers, forged pistons, Sachs race disc and pressure plate, alumimum flywheel, custom cams specially made for my specs(336 lift) , Vp 103 octane unleaded race fuel, no rear seat or spare tire and jack, hood, back and front bumper are in process of being lightended. Want more? go for a ride. This car has proven many fast wannabe cars just what a subaru can do with a few mods. Also for comparison, roll on races with wrx's even some of the moded ones in town still can't keep up(not that i wouldn't love to mod up a wrx but they are to expensive right now). But of course i still get killed off the line due to my nasty wheel spin problem. pics and more soon as i get less busy at work.

Totally and absolutely:

bull.jpg?ts=1073938520499

Dennis ex24: Sure shoot away.

Meeky Moose: Cams from Delta ran me about $120. For the pair ofcourse.

Leone400, and everyone else: Lets please not be so quick to dismiss anything. We dont want to scare the guy off, expecially if his findings are true. We can use that as a template to go by, and possibly engeneer a cheaper way to make such power. I found one: Cams+intake+exhaust. Cams being the real key. Cams boosted power WAY more than the 9.5:1 did, on pump gas.

While we all would like ot see the dyno results, and the car in person, we all cant for some reaosn or another.

Also something else I have learned....our EA82T engines respond well to the intake and exhuast mods...but anything bolt on (IC, larger turbo, etc....) seems to have only small increases, while on the EJ engines, it provides a larger increase. Ive nver had more power with running more boost. In my first boost experiment, 8 psi felt the same at 10, 12, and 16. Same now with the 1986 GL-10. The RX, felt the same with 8, as 10, 12 and higher. The difference came in the cams, and opening up the intake and exhaust to as little resistance as possible. Doing those single two things, and in combination with the cams, made the largest increase of all.

Now, you can bolt on all day with an EJ engine, and still outrun an EA82T, no matter what you bolt on it. Now, you can build an EA82T all to hell, and outrun most bolt on stuff for EJ...but you start seriously building an EJ...then the EA82T is jsut too far beind. I find that the lesser weight, and higher output with the three keys installed, can outrun a stock WRX. But a modded WRX...with more than 230 hp...its starting to get expensive, and most of us cant afford that. not even I.

Lets not be so qucik to call BS and rub it in. lets be patient and see how it all transpires.

Net has been down for a few days so couldn't do anything. As for people saying bs, i say bs right back because i have been building race cars for 15 years now and i do know what i'm doing. This is my first jap car ever but i have done many chevs,fords and dodge. If you are saying bs you haven't been reading closely what has been done to this car, if you were a true speed freak like i am you would know what happens to a car when you have done what i've done. Also by the way, wheel horsepower takes wight of the car into consideration. Example, a 500hp car weighing 3500 pounds will do an easy mid to high 12 sec run, where as you take the same horsepower in a car 1000 pounds lighter it will go faster. Or a 400hp car weighing lets say 2800 pounds will get the same times as the 500hp heavier car. Its all in the power to weight ratio. My car weighs in at 2080 pounds with a full tank of fuel (yes i have lightened it up a bit), as you know a wheel hp dyno takes the power to weight ratio into consideration. Its saying that due to my loss of weight my power is increasing, it would be like putting a stock 120hp xt at stock weight and it will be stock. But lets say you lose 300 pounds on that same car, your power to weight ratio will increase. My xt is not stock nor is it stock weight, now do you understand. I hope this makes things a little clearer. more later now that my computer is working.

Originally posted by dj72

If you are saying bs you haven't been reading closely what has been done to this car, if you were a true speed freak like i am you would know what happens to a car when you have done what i've done. Also by the way, wheel horsepower takes wight of the car into consideration. Example, a 500hp car weighing 3500 pounds will do an easy mid to high 12 sec run, where as you take the same horsepower in a car 1000 pounds lighter it will go faster. Or a 400hp car weighing lets say 2800 pounds will get the same times as the 500hp heavier car. Its all in the power to weight ratio. My car weighs in at 2080 pounds with a full tank of fuel (yes i have lightened it up a bit), as you know a wheel hp dyno takes the power to weight ratio into consideration. Its saying that due to my loss of weight my power is increasing, it would be like putting a stock 120hp xt at stock weight and it will be stock.

i understand what you are saying, and you seem like a knowledgeable guy but it doesnt add up. i read your list of mods closely and fail to understand where you are making 283WHP...in my experience with these engines, to gain that kind of power you would need alot more than cams and titanium lifters to make 4Xs the power over a stock car...

lightening the car is necessary, XT's are on the heavy side of import cars, but you know as well as i that lightening the car only increase power to weight, not what the engine is putting out.

i.e. getting your car down to 2080lbs doesnt mean your engine suddenly gained 200HP worth of balls. feel free to prove me wrong, maybe im being to skeptical, but im one who needs to see things to believe.

Originally posted by WJM

Cams boosted power WAY more than the 9.5:1 did, on pump gas.

Also something else I have learned....our EA82T engines respond well to the intake and exhuast mods...but anything bolt on (IC, larger turbo, etc....) seems to have only small increases, while on the EJ engines, it provides a larger increase. Ive nver had more power with running more boost.

Lets not be so qucik to call BS and rub it in. lets be patient and see how it all transpires.

i always thought cams were the key in our cars, and youre proving me right. im planning on doing mine in the summertime, hopefully this will be the route i need to take with the XT to get it to not be such a dog.

im fairly certain im on the brink of 200HP at 15PSI now that the waste gate is working properly and the engine is actually holding compression but im still employing 2 catalytic converters from the stock WRX exhaust system as well as the stock downpipe.

well, i just have to say.. when the rx engine comes out and i start to work on it.. it be gettin some cams!!

then when its all beefed up.. and i get a bigger turbo, etc.. it'll all go in the RX.. and the stock sleeper will be comin out for a spare..

keep in mind this may all take a long long time in a place far far away.. oopps got carried away..

There is more done to this car than just cams and lifters Dennis, read fully what has been done. Also the dyno was set to take power to weight ratio into consideration which means that to produce those results the car needed at least 283hp to provide the #'s it kicked out. Everything is the way you set things up on a motor, lets say you put cams in, but the wrong ones ( ex. overcaming or not caming enough will make a car that doesn't have the necessary parts to make it work will not have good outcomes). The cams for mine are built exactly to my specs, and proper cams will increase power alot more than 20hp if you know what you are doing. If anybody else wants to build a motor like mine, i will show you how and you will see that these #'s are totally possible. The power increase on my motor is from 120hp to 283 which is only 163hp which is easily attained. 163hp more isn't very much and i am going to do more because for me this is not enough as i am used to driving 500hp + cars as daily drivers and i'll attach some pics of my 569hp 81 T/A which is a daily driver, along with a few of my other toys as soon as i scan the pics from my albums. I'm going over to a buddy's house to use his scanner because as you know mine sucks.

for the Cu head gaskets... what did you get to seal them? Where did you get it?

I have a set and would like to use them in the spring but, nned to find the sealant for the gaskets to use them....

I am obstaining from the BS/ no BS part of this thread.... its not what I'm personally interested in currently.

As for pictures.... ehhhh, when you can is when you can ... i understand that... but what I'll be drooling over is the stat's on what the shop's did for the cam's and the other millings... IE reciepts for what has been done in due time.....

..... I'll await patiently the CU info in due time....

as i said before - maybe im out of line but i just dont see where the power is coming from other than the cams.

if youre really making that XT scream as loud as you say - more power to you, you obviously came across something that alot of us havent...but i speak for all of us im sure when i ask that you let us in on your secrets, something that fast is too good to hide. you'd be the first EA82T guy to run 12's.

the T/A is hot by the way