Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off Road Lights Anyone?

I want to put some seriously bright lights on my 4x4 Loyale wagon. I been looking at Hella's and similar lights. Does anyone have anything like this on their car that I could see a pic of? Im not sure where or how I would mount them. Someone suggested a roofrack type mount? I dont have a roof rack on my wagon though. Can anyone give me some ideas? Maybe show me your set up?

In other news me and the wife just bought a 2004 WR Blue WRX 5 speed sedan...woo hoo!

Here's mine:

275IMG_0474.jpg

8 Pilot Navigator driving lamps, 6 forward-facing, 2 reverse, with 55W Sylvania Xtravisions in them. The roof lights are mounted through the roof rack bars, and the ones on the bumper are attached to a piece of flat aluminum bar that mounts to the inside of the bumper.

I've got three "grades" of light on my wagon. What you get depends on finances and what kind of use the car sees.

Resizeda_DSC_0241.jpg

The outermost ones on the rack cost $8 each from Northern Tool and Equipment and are OK. The middle ones on the rack cost $15 each from a local shop and are pretty good (up there with $50 lights for functionality in my opinon). Before I had the custom rack, I had them mounted to a regular "crossbar" type rack like a Yakima or Thule. The lights in front are just bolted through the bumper. They're Lightforce 140s or 170s, I can't remember which, and they retail for $285/pair (not what I paid for them). If you've got the cash, they are the bomb. The removable blue covers are designed to help the light go through blizzard-like snow conditions. I used to just use cheap lights, but I have almost died enough times from not being able to see that I went for some good ones.

3242PICT1765.JPG

no, the ones on the roof are NOT Eagle Eye II's, it's just the covers, the lights themselves are like 30w craphole 6" sealed beam lights I stole off my dad's '64 Ford plow truck, and one of 'em's burned out. but when they both worked, they were pretty sweet.

the ones under the bumper are Hella optilux's (I think 2020's...), they're combination Fog/Driving lights, 2 ~50w bulbs in each light, with different diffusers, one that's short and wide, one that's long and narrow. I wired 'em with individual switches so I can turn 'em both on at the same time, I had 'em mounted with self-drilling/-tapping screws into the bumper....worked find 'til I ripped 'em out. though it wasn't a bad idea, the screws failed before the light had any damage. I bet if you mount them over the bumper, or just don't get into stuff that would hit them hard, they'd be fine that way.

GravelRX made a removable light bar...here's a couple pics from his photo gallery.

23light_bar-med.JPG

23RX_NO_WING_014-med.jpg

do a search for posts by him, I know he's posted exactly how he did it.

thats very close to what i want, i am going to make a variation of that, kinda like the actual rally cars have, with two lights down low and four above the bumper, kinda forms an arch of light when you look at it head on, suoer bright. the only problem i could see with that is killing hte alternator.

looks like i gotta find a high output gm unit and a deep cycle battery.

I gots the Hella 500's. They work alright for the price. With lights, you get what you pay for. Liteforces are the way to go especially with all the different sizes they make. PIAA's are good lights too, but they seem TOO spendy to put on a offroad rig.

I was thinking about taking a High Pressure Sodium (what us fisherman call Crab lights, some call "grow" lights) get a 1000w light, but they you'd need a generator to run the thing. But on the upside, it'd basically be daytime when you had the light on

I was thinking about taking a High Pressure Sodium (what us fisherman call Crab lights, some call "grow" lights) get a 1000w light, but they you'd need a generator to run the thing. But on the upside, it'd basically be daytime when you had the light on

holy crap those sound bright! lol, i like my kc daylighters, compared to the stock sube's headlights, they are really bright.

Righto..

Outers H4 converted 130w/90w

inners HI 100w

Drivers (Cibie super oscar copies dremelled out to take H4s) 130w

All through a new custom HD loom and 4 relays (thanks for your help, Skip)

With a 100 amp HD Liberty alternator and the biggest baddest battery that fits.

I can smell paint blistering.....on the car way up there!

I can see you.

4199New_lights.jpg