Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Phantom Grip Magazine Article

For those of you interested in the Phantom Grip limited slip unit there is an article in the November issue of Turbo magazine. The article details the installation into a FWD car. Seems like they like the thing. Kind of expensive at about $349 for a custom unit, but very interesting. They will make one for our front differentials. Anybody planning on getting one of these things? I know it's been discussed here before.

Will they really make one for the front of an old Subaru for $350.

Up front our options are "limited".

That does not sound that bad given the choices........ :brolleye:

Glenn,

82 Hatch, locked rear....... :temper:

01 Forester, limited all around......:burnout:

Well, the phantom grip is a LSD conversion kit. It replaces the internals and turns your stock diff into an LSD. I have it on my Colt and it works awsome. It's great for offroad since it's more like a clutch type LSD in that is doesn't give a whole lot. Mantaray sells them for $279.95, and the 905 appears to fit our cars.

Subaru HITACHI R160 (Open Rear Diff) (green spring upgrade not available) 905-GOLD

$279.95

http://www.mmrusa.com/phantom1.htm

I believe the front and rear diffs are similar enough internally that the kit should work.

I mailed them about the RX application, should be the same as any EA82. They relied, saying I would have to mail in my front diff and it would be $349. It looks like they don't have specs for a EA82 front but can and will make one.

BTW, I picked up the mag, the article was interesting...

I've heard differently. There is a guy down here with a Nissan 4wd truck, and has one in his front R160, says it works great, and first hand experience is one thing that I definatly go on. And if it works in the front of a Nissan with 33's, should work fine on a Subaru with less than 30" tires.

,,,first hand experience is one thing that I definatly go on. And if it works in the front of a Nissan with 33's, should work fine on a Subaru with less than 30" tires. [/b]

I didn't realize you had first hand experience with these Adam. :brow: I'm pretty sure the guy who posted the negative was using his in a rally style application which would definetly not describe your standard tall tired pickemup. Again this is from memory which is sieve like on the best of days :) but I think he had em front and rear with custom R&P sets from Phantom. Again, he wasn't thrilled was the general tone. If they do work well in crawling that would be great. I assume your friend with the Nissan does a lot of crawling. Personally I'll sit back and take my usual stance which is to let someone better funded do the real world test for me. I'ts so much nicer to spend someone elses money,,,makes me feel like the POTUS > LOL

• 1 month later...

don't all clutch pack lsd's just work on a preset load on friction plates? clutch pack lsds dont lock nor do they ever open I thought. In any case you could stuff increasingly stiffer springs until you find the right mix between off-road ability and making the front tires skip on the pavement when turning.