Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prepping for deep water

Scott in Bellingham

ok , so next month im taking my car to Reiter pit , Ive never been there , looks like some deep water fun, my car is totaly stock under the hood 87 SPFI EA82 want to prep the engine for deep water fording , what should I do? , what works? what should I modify and seal and such, Ive watched videos of these cars with water over the Bumper , just not sure on the prep involved help me out. pictures would be nice too. SJR

not me

8644roachy_004.jpg

Yeah that was my friend drving a completely stock EA82 wagon. Whenever I do deep crossings I just drive at a slow speed through it. Enough to keep my momentum, but not enough to shoot water into my engine. Some WD40 and a nice hot dry day to dry out the suby. I did this water crossing where a HUGE Dodge 4x4 with like 8in of lift and mad tires went first and made it of course then I went and slowly putting a long the water with it coming over my hood. Then to leave I had to do it again. Carb got wet, disty got wet still ran.:headbang:

Couple of things I've found. . .

Remember, all of my offroaders have been ea81s, but same thing in water pretty much.

A simple red rag tied over the end of the intake on your air cleaner can do wonders. It will stop water once. Minimal water will get past it. If you have a weber, then a antifeeze container cut to fit with the opening in the rear will keep water out. Webers seem to be most affected by water that drips off of the hod after the fan belt throws it up there.

I personally thing that using silicone on a Soob disty is a bad idea and I'll tell you why: The disty is warm. Water near it will condence to the inside of the disty whether there is silicone or not. Silicone will just make it more difficult to take the cap off. Keep plenty of paper towels or 7/11 napkins in your glove box. Wipe it out, go on.

Slow even speed is a good thing too.

And Scott, the water in the water hole at Reiters is DEEEEEEP!!

The toyota in the photo below had hydrolocked his engine going thru the not so deep part.

The yellw rig has 49s on it. They're under.

142keeper9.jpg

To give you an idea of how big 49s are. . .

yellow.JPG

Keep that disty protected. I'm not sure if you've seen the video, but it's in my gallery, I went through the truck mud run at iron range offroad. flooded my disty. not the points, but the crank angle sensor underneath. no spark at all...

and yea, a little dielectric grease on the plug wire ends, and some on the coil connections....

I've also seen people rotate the stock airbox up into the spare tire well, keeps it even more safe...

Definitely seal your distributor its the weakest link, otherwise as long as your timing belt casing has no cracks, it should for the most part be sealed. What are you going to use for a snorkel.

Another problem you are going to face is depth of water, with how tight Subaru's are sealed once you get up to your headlights/hoodline they start to float. I am not sure if more weight in the vehicle will help, or if turning one into a truck so that there isn't so much trapped air.

hey Zap if you look closer at your picture you can see a Soob in that deep water

attachment.php?attachmentid=3510&stc=1&d=1140042011

:banana: :banana: :banana::lol::eek:

Scott, I know you're just goofing, but if you photo shopped it for how deep it really is there, the water would be up on your windshield. The Toy is sitting at the edge. There are ruts running down the middle.

Well, now I'm going to have to come. Just so I can take a true pic of that hole when you go thru it:brow:

Me too. Although we already have video of us crossing it while it's much more shallow. This last weekend it was crazy deep! One big lake, I was hesitant to skirt the edge in my Toy, and the intake on it sits about at my chest level. (I'm 6'3)

I could take on that water! :headbang:

well... i could if i was there :lol:

maybe I will when i get back!

what you need to do is fit yourself a snorkel! mine was pretty cheap, and works quite well

dont know what to do about the disty though....besides teh suggestion about dielectric grease the heck out of it

I could take on that water! :headbang:

well... i could if i was there :lol:

maybe I will when i get back!

what you need to do is fit yourself a snorkel! mine was pretty cheap, and works quite well

dont know what to do about the disty though....besides teh suggestion about dielectric grease the heck out of it

besides the snorkel , what have you done to that car to handle the water?

hey Zap if you look closer at your picture you can see a Soob in that deep water

attachment.php?attachmentid=3510&stc=1&d=1140042011

Oh, my gosh--I've never laughed (silently) so hard in my life! I'm in the library and trying not to be noisy, but I can't stop laughing. I have no idea why I find that so funny, but my eyes teared up so much I couldn't read the posts after it. You are awesome.

It depends. If the weatherstripping is in good shape and the rockerpanels arent bashed in. I wouldnt say they are totally leak proof, they will leak after a period of time, maybe 15min more or less.

Heres a old pic of Austin in his EA81 Water Wagon:D I think this is where he decided he needed a snorkel:brow:

austinindeep2.jpg

It depends. If the weatherstripping is in good shape and the rockerpanels arent bashed in. I wouldnt say they are totally leak proof, they will leak after a period of time, maybe 15min more or less.

Heres a old pic of Austin in his EA81 Water Wagon:D I think this is where he decided he needed a snorkel:brow:

austinindeep2.jpg

hey! I remember that day!

yeah.. door seals were good on that car! no water came in :headbang:

could definatly use a snorkel though... water flooding the carb+disty was about the only reason i didnt make it out... (tires could have been better too)

first off use the Dgrease to seal all important connections. (bassicaly id do every one under the hood.

weather striping check

a snorkle is a big step forward.

also take a tarp. cut it to fit over the front of the grill and then bunji it on just before you take the plunge. helps make a bow wave its worked awsome the 1 time i tryed it....

get one of these and plum it in the front of you cars pass compartment and just run a tube out the top of the windo. or get a fancy one way valve to put in the door or firewall... anyway they can be had for cheep and will save your cars intior if you get stalled.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-12volt-1400-GPH-Bilge-Pump-Chandlery_W0QQitemZ4612502035QQcategoryZ15263QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i got a 1700gph one i will probably get another and run duals on my hatch when im done.

Well, this is Zap after cleaning out your engine compartment. That sucker was packed full of mud and debris:lol:

That was from reaching into the (nasty rump roast) water to put the chain on the tow hook. I was the only one who brought rubber boots.

Took that pic of Austin too. :)