Ultimate Subaru Message Board

R&P steering pushing swampers ??

gunslinger

one thing i havent seen mentioned by anyone much is how well is everyone pushing bigger swampers/mud terrains with the stock R&P manual or power. im talking 27 to 30" range. i ran around on 31x10.5's on the battlewagon for a while and the PS R&P DIDNT like it too much. it worked but i got some trouble moving the meat in some difficult turns or when the tire got locked up on something. already broke one R&P.......

im changing to toyota axles and Tcase setup even as its raining here in our washington summer.......

I don't have any MTs.....but I've got 29" ATs, on both rigs, both with power steering racks, but one with the pump removed. Both have held up just fine both on the rocks of former iron ore mines in Northern MN, and the soft, swampy muck of my buddies backyard.

what do you mean the R&P didn't like it too much? I've never heard of anyone having any problems.....

heelllooooo???? anyone else care to spend the 30 seconds to drop an answer??

(sometimes i wonder if its even worth posting threads when you barely get anyone to answer.)

maybe someone has figured out some alternative other than straight axles....

I've been pushing 28's (MT's) with my EA81 power steering for going on 3 years now. Never had any problems. I even tore the rack down a while back and cleaned/regreased the entire thing. Installed new boots, etc. I would not have a lifted subaru without the power steering - and several who have driven mine have had to convert...

GD

Well, one more for S&G's.

I have 30in tires usung a EA81 PS R&P setup. I have had no problems so far.

One thing you need to look out for if you use a EA81 PS is the idler pully. The bearing can go south on you if it gets garbage in it. There is actually a rubber cap that goes over the nut that helps seal the bearing. Hard to find, these are.

Well, one more for S&G's.

I have 30in tires usung a EA81 PS R&P setup. I have had no problems so far.

One thing you need to look out for if you use a EA81 PS is the idler pully. The bearing can go south on you if it gets garbage in it. There is actually a rubber cap that goes over the nut that helps seal the bearing. Hard to find, these are.

im not using the EA81. its on the battlewagon - '86 . like i said though, im still trying to figure out if i want to do my toyota axle setup seeing how i didnt like breaking that rack on the trail. we'll see. that might be another part i keep in the roof rack for breaks... doesnt weigh much........

sh"t. might as well be wheeling toyotas again if i change over to that drivetrain. didnt i get into this to wheel "subarus" - that should be a thread.

"when does it stop being a subaru?":rolleyes:

We've been there, done that.

It all comes down to reaching a limit. Its either money or hardware. If you are going to start altering the car to a point its no longer recognizable as a Subaru, you might as well start out with another brand. At some point in your build (Subaru) your going to have to say "Ok, thats good enough". (for now, anyways)

We've been there, done that.

It all comes down to reaching a limit. Its either money or hardware. If you are going to start altering the car to a point its no longer recognizable as a Subaru, you might as well start out with another brand. At some point in your build (Subaru) your going to have to say "Ok, thats good enough". (for now, anyways)

yes. exactly. im in deep consideration (with "help" from my wife) on whether or not i want to go the "notsosubaru" route. afterall, i did start the soob thing cause it was cheap and parts were everywhere. too many projects.

i need to get my bike done:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have had no trouble turning my 29" Swamper TSLs with no power steering in my '82. It's nice and smooth both at a stop and when the car is moving.

i know for SURE that im keeping the PS instead of going back to manual. when i wheel Shelby, stock tires/no PS, she bucks like crazy in hard turning. PS is so much nicer.

i know for SURE that im keeping the PS instead of going back to manual. when i wheel Shelby, stock tires/no PS, she bucks like crazy in hard turning. PS is so much nicer.

+1

Spanky - clearly you have not been off-road enough with your manual steering. It WILL rip the wheel out of your hands. And you need to try out the power steering sometime too in order to really appreciate it.

GD

Dunno about swampers... But it is easier to turn my 27" M/T kumho's (215mm wide) with my no power steering then it is to turn some 195mm wide road tyres. On all surfaces for your info...

People say that I must be really tough to drive with 27" tyres and no power steering, I look at them and go... ITS A SUBIE... you don't need P/S! :-p I love my EA81 :D

well, since this has turned into a PS vs. non-PS discussion.....I'll throw my experience in there:

MorganM removed the PS from his wagon (when it was his anyway), but didn't swap the racks. it's quite hard to get it to turn, I can do it, but not unless I"m moving a little bit.

+1

Spanky - clearly you have not been off-road enough with your manual steering. It WILL rip the wheel out of your hands. And you need to try out the power steering sometime too in order to really appreciate it.

GD

Actually, I have a really nice scar from that happening once. :lol: I was saying that it works fine for me, just not flawlessly. ;)

now that the conversation has turned to PS vs. non PS........ :rolleyes:

seems not too many people are having trouble turning the larger tires. as far as breaking the R&P and all. i must have had a weak unit that went south with the larger meats.