Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to identify Brat LSD

I seem to recall that all genII Brats had a LSD, or did I dream that? Can I confirm by spinning one axle and see that the other moves in the same direction? I know that doesn't always work. What about the ratio? Weren't they all 3.9's? I've got someone interested in the one that came out of my '85 and I want to make sure I've got the story right.

Thanks...:)

It should have a sticker on the back identifying the ratio. It may be all grimey but wipe it off and look. Unless it says LSD in big letters it is not a limited slip. I don't think all gen II Brats had LSD. If they did people round here would be snapping up brats left and right for diffs(espescially if it was 3.9)

BTW I think brats will have either a 3.454 or a 3.7 Diff. I am not certain, I know way more about EA82s than EA81s

Holy cow, that was quick!

Okay, so it' most likely an open 3.90. I guess I had the ratio right, but not the LSD part.

Thanks for the quick answers!

Yeah, we've gotten snappy lately, havent we?

(i say "we" when i have only been a member for a year :rolleyes:)

heh. you're definitely dreaming! :lol:

LSDs are only found in 85+ "Loyale" style cars with turbo. Technically they exist in some XT6es and in some other rare formats, but for practical purposes, the don't exist in nonturbo cars. Most turbo cars won't have them either.

No one has said it, so i guess i'll be the 1st.

The ONLY subaru to have come stock from the factory with a LSD is the RX, 87+ models. They are ALL 3.7 ratio.

The other subaru to have come stock with a LSD was the 1991 Legacy Turbo 5spd (not automatics) and those are 3.9 VLSD's.

LSD's were an option for Subarus 1987 and beyond, however not many opted for the option. THere is speculation that in 1989 All Turbo GL10 Wagons with Full Time 4WD 5spd's came stock with LSD's, however I have seen 2 (the only 2 ive seen in person) that both had open diff's.

Had to be said. Rob was right, no EA81's ever came from the factory with a LSD.

Quick message for Brad....

That XR4Ti has a cracked dash,but decent seats,shows I think 54k,which might be 154k...just looked at it quick,but I'll be seeing it everytime I go to my new storage space,so I'll gather details soon enough.

No one has said it, so i guess i'll be the 1st.

The ONLY subaru to have come stock from the factory with a LSD is the RX, 87+ models. They are ALL 3.7 ratio.

The other subaru to have come stock with a LSD was the 1991 Legacy Turbo 5spd (not automatics) and those are 3.9 VLSD's.

LSD's were an option for Subarus 1987 and beyond, however not many opted for the option. THere is speculation that in 1989 All Turbo GL10 Wagons with Full Time 4WD 5spd's came stock with LSD's, however I have seen 2 (the only 2 ive seen in person) that both had open diff's.

Had to be said. Rob was right, no EA81's ever came from the factory with a LSD.

correction, the RX was the only one got get it standard. As you said, and others said above, they were stock, but only an option, and as a result, rare.

definitely not all '89 GL-10 turbo wagons though. I've seen 2 in the junkyard with open rear ends.

I know of a 5MT FT4WD XT6 in MN that has a factory 3.9 mechanical LSD (not viscous like the legacy turbos) in the rear.

but yes, when in doubt, spin one rear wheel. if the other wheel either spins the opposite direction, or doesn't spin at all, it's open. the LSDs are pretty stiff, so you'll feel it pretty quick.

Okay, we have a winner (or loser, in this case), so no more callers! :grin: Just confirmed that what I have is an open 3.90.

This question got raised by a friend of a friend who has a Datsun 510, and indictes that 80's Subbie rears are plug-n-play swaps.

Paul, I bet it's 154K, but if you get a VIN I can check. The early dashes all crack, so that's not at all surprising. I know someone in BP that might be interested (if the price is uber-right), so it could be a fit.

This question got raised by a friend of a friend who has a Datsun 510, and indictes that 80's Subbie rears are plug-n-play swaps.

He's correct. They have been buying our LSD's for years now (and for outrageuos prices too).

They do need to swap out the stub axles tho. But otherwise, its a straight swap for the Dastun 510.

VLSD's in Subarus statement above wasn't all correct either.

They are a stock option on the SVX, LOTS of Outbacks from 99 on, ALL WRX's (USA models and likely elsewhere)....

In short, look hard enough in the yards and you will find one. Certain cars are more likely to have one than others but until you turn a wheel and watch the other side you don't know for sure. Its always possible some guy at a shop, dealership, etc snagged the diff out of a used car or even more horrible a customers car and put an open on in its place because the customer or future owner won't ever know the difference. I have seen RX's with open diffs in the yards before here. I have seen a GL that had one retrofitted (it also had a 2.2 Swap in it). Look and look hard.

In Denver the likelyhood of finding one always seems high on the rustiest car in the whole yard or the car that pull n save ballanced the entire weight of the rear of the car on the diff (they stack cars on old rims at many yards here).

Dont balk at a VLSD. Lots better than nothing at all!!! If you are going wheeling consider welding the diff and getting good at pulling a rear axle for street driving.

yours does, but did ALL automatics? the statement was, "stock," it did not in any way exclude automatics from the possibility of having one.

From what I've read, the general consenus for the 91 model year is yes. 92-94 not even an option.

the problem we're having here is the difference between 'stock' and 'standard'.

I don't think there's any official definition, but typically stock refers to something that's not aftermarket. a part could be a factory or dealer option, and still be stock.

• 9 years later...

hi so i have brought a brumby. has anyone had any experience in locking the diff by welding the spider gears? Looking for as much info as possible. is a off road buggy, will always be on the dirt.  Thank you.

There was a fella from the Neatherlands (I think) on here a few years back that had a ea81 car that I do believe had a FACTORY lsd. Or at least one with a tag that looked different then the ea82 stuff im used to seeing. He was completely restoring the car, adding propane...he had a bunch of pictures.

Haha... This thread is gold. In Oz our brat/brumby has 3.7 ratio diff's as standard, all open.

hi so i have brought a brumby. has anyone had any experience in locking the diff by welding the spider gears? Looking for as much info as possible. is a off road buggy, will always be on the dirt.  Thank you.

I've done it once. It's easiest to do with the diff centre out of the housing and this also avoids splatter ending up in the bearings or gears. The hardest part after removing the drive shafts off the diff stubs is getting the torx bolts out of the inside of the diff stubs. These bolts hold the stub axle in place.

Once these are off/out you can remove the backing plate and the bearing retainer plates, ensuring you keep the shims on the correct side of the diff. The diff centre will come out easy after this.

Clean it up, removing as much diff oil as possible. Then weld the spider gears together, weld the spider gears to the diff centre housing and you can add a few bolts in there to weld everything to as well. Weld both side of the housing where you can access the gears.

If you don't remove the bearings be careful of heat build up as that could damage the bearings.

Reassemble and fit back into the brumby. If you're ever going to run on the black top the stubs can be shaved to help removal of a shaft ;)

Then it's point and shoot fun, at least it was for me in my L.

Cheers

Bennie