Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BF Goodrich All-Terrains

Scott in Bellingham

I used them for a while on a Pathfinder.

My opinion is that they're overrated and overpriced. They are mediocre on the street and bad in the rain. The design is many years old and has not caught up to technologies that disperse water.

In mud they are useless. In snow they are next to useless. The sidewalls have no protection, so they'd be lame for rocks too.

I would recommend against them unless your wheeling is going to be limited to gravel roads. They're old and need to be redesigned.

OK Zap what would you suggest?? , Im looking for a tire thats good for everyday on the road but preforms well ocasionally offroad, I dont want a real agresive tire thats heavy wears quick and gets bad gas mileage

For the use you are describing BF all terains are the perfect tire I ran them on my full size bronco, rotated regularly they lasted five years on a daily driver! the tire I was running was 11.50 inches wide and I had no problems with hydroplaning until the tires became pretty worn out. so they disperse water pretty well I plan on buying them for my brat and a new set ffor the bronco as for their design being old, well I see a couple of brands that are still copying their tread design. and their price seems pretty comparible to the other name brands.

I have a set of 215/75/15's on my wagon which you know Scott.

Here's my review:

Rain: Have to go with Zap - even with the old EA they spun pretty easily even from a rolling start without dumping the clutch

Mud: Fair to ok - we have a differnent mud than they have on the east side, do fine in our mud, do crappy in the eastside sticky mud

Snow: Depends - West side snow they do ok (I had them on our run up past the brewery, I couldn't cut trail as well as you guys with the MT's), east side dry snow, excellent!

Dry pavement: Good: quiet, good wear.

Overall, They are like an Enduro, not nearly as good as a street bike on the street, or a dirt bike off road, but its the fact that you can attempt both. They are good for a daily driver that you will take on logging roads, camping, down to the river, places that you plan on going and making it back by yourself.

I have a set of 215/75/15's on my wagon which you know Scott.

Here's my review:

Rain: Have to go with Zap - even with the old EA they spun pretty easily even from a rolling start without dumping the clutch

Mud: Fair to ok - we have a differnent mud than they have on the east side, do fine in our mud, do crappy in the eastside sticky mud

Snow: Depends - West side snow they do ok (I had them on our run up past the brewery, I couldn't cut trail as well as you guys with the MT's), east side dry snow, excellent!

Dry pavement: Good: quiet, good wear.

Overall, They are like an Enduro, not nearly as good as a street bike on the street, or a dirt bike off road, but its the fact that you can attempt both. They are good for a daily driver that you will take on logging roads, camping, down to the river, places that you plan on going and making it back by yourself.

I have a set on my Tundra, live on the east side of WA, and agree with the above review, but I will say they wear on the outside edge easily, and every Tundra I have seen with them on has the same problem. Sidewalls are weak and the tires tend to roll to the outside edge a little when cornering. Now this might not be a concern at all for lighter vehicles then a 4 door, 4wd Tundra, but I thought I would pass it on.

I have had many sets of BFG All Terrains on various vehicles and was happy with them for the sort of use Scott is describing. They are definitely more expensive than most other similar tires, though. I had one set of 33" Mud Terrains which I was also happy with, they wear quite well if rotated regularly.

I find they are the only ones that hold up well to the abuse ford front ends give tires

I know that story... why oh why did they keep the Twin Traction Beam for so long? It's one of the more retarded suspension designs I've seen.

Andy

I'm running the BFG AT/KO on my strut-lifted '95 legacy.. I've Always loved this tire, and with the newer AT/KO's they have a bit of a shoulder tread and added bleting to flatten the footprint when inflated (i forget the wording, but got the whole low-down when I bought mine)..

I think they're a 6-ply tread and 3-ply sidewall...

I got mine from discount tire, but know the manager and got the sweet hookup (under $100 each)....

I'm still on 14" rims, so its their smallest AT/KO at 27x8.5

I love them, and want a better transmission to turn them (3.9 gearing is sluggish and sux), and to fix my od- and speedo for the taller tire...

I can send pix if you remind me with an email... I just moved, so the external hard drive is in a box right now...

I recommend them, and have seen (I believe) the 205 or 215 75's on my friend's stock 98 legacy (15" rims)... She's psyched because the car drives exactly the same as the stock street tire, but now she's got nearly an inch more clearnace, and with her powdercoated rims, it doesn't look like so much of a mom car....

recommended, says me

-mw-

Before this winter, I would have recomended them. Now, not as much. They are a great all-around tire, which means they suck at everthing, but at least work doing everthing. My problem with them was their snow performance. I had a stock jeep commanche with cheap-arse snow tires plowing it's way through the snow, pushing a pretty good pile infront of it, and I couldn't go through snow that wasn't even touching the belly of my car.

They did better than the BFG nearly used up mud terrains on my friends tacoma though.