Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'd certainly check for leaks after using a "non-crush" type washer. What's wrong with using a crush washer (p/n 11126AA000)? They are certainly cheap enough. Someone here on the Board made a bulk buy and re-sold the excess on the Board. I bought 20 of them; hopefully he does it again.

I think they are .53 or so at the dealer. I buy a pack of 6 often.

At Advance they are more than a buck or so a piece. Come in a cute little display box made to hang on a large display black/yellow. I wanna say 3 bucks for 2 crush washers.

I keep the copper assortment here. Some cars (like a 2003 Acura that I maintain) there is hardly any room for a crush washer or even a wide copper washer.

Some of the Chevy's get a copper washer.

FYI that's all you got on the air cooled VW's. And hardly the reason they leak oil (lots of other reasons).

In my opinion beats nothing or a steel washer.

Am i the only one who just forever reuses the old ones.....?
definitely not. actually when i see crush washer questions i got :confused: at first, having never done it and never knowing anything about it. let's see....30+ Subaru's i've owned, driven 45,000 miles in one year before - and i've always reused the old ones.

definitely not. actually when i see crush washer questions i got :confused: at first, having never done it and never knowing anything about it. let's see....30+ Subaru's i've owned, driven 45,000 miles in one year before - and i've always reused the old ones.

hmm.. now that i think about it.. i dont think i even have a washer in there.......................... :eek:

The quick lube places apparently don't put them on either(if they did they'd probably be 5 bucks).

Life goes on without them.

I'm usually servicing friends/family or cars to sell. Can't rely on oil getting checked, leaks on ground being reported, etc. Folks don't like to see drips. I prefer to minimize them when possible.

They will last several oil changes, if you do not overtighten the plug. I replace mine every 4 to 5 changes. If you do not have one, you will have a seeping leak, or eventually damage the mating surface by compensating by overtightening to stop the leak.

hmm.. now that i think about it.. i dont think i even have a washer in there.......................... :eek:

It's probably sufficiently crushed that it's gripping the threads so it doesn't fall off, and the head is smooshed enough that it looks like part of the bolt head.

Dave

I reuse the old washer 4 or 5 times.

Then I replace it with a new crush-washer. Not because the old one leaks; it never does.

But more out of a sense of guilt: The mighty Subaru engineers have decreed that the washer should not be reused, and I feel that I ought to comply. So I do, but only every 5th time!

I reuse the old washer 4 or 5 times.

Then I replace it with a new crush-washer. Not because the old one leaks; it never does.

But more out of a sense of guilt: The mighty Subaru engineers have decreed that the washer should not be reused, and I feel that I ought to comply. So I do, but only every 5th time!

yeah, basically that is about what i do, I never really torque the plugs down that much, so they never really squish out of shape. I learned to not overtigthen them, I probably should put some more foot lbs on, but never had a problem in 20 years. usually one new washer for every 5 or 6 oil filters.....thru experience, and not over tightening, can reusue them a lot.