Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who wants a Legacy Hi/Lo gearbox

kiwishooter

Right, following a few requests for a Legacy gearbox with Hi/Lo and diff lock I have made a few enquiries about the cost of shipping some to the USA.

The shipping would be by sea and they would land in L.A but at this stage I am still waiting on costs.

I would need an address to send them to in the US and then they would have to be distributed to the purchasers.

What I am proposing is that I will purchase as many gearboxes as people order and pay for, build a crate and package them. Then arrange to ship them to the US. I don't need paid for the box or my time, all I need is to cover the purchase cost of the gearboxes and any shipping costs.

If you are interested then please PM me so I can get an idea of how many gearboxes I would need to source. The cost of the gearboxes is NZ$300 each, if I am buying 5 or more plus the cost of shipping. I can accept payment to a US address, but the cost of transfering the funds to me in New Zealand would have to be added.

So let me know if you are interested.

Right, following a few requests for a Legacy gearbox with Hi/Lo and diff lock I have made a few enquiries about the cost of shipping some to the USA.

The shipping would be by sea and they would land in L.A but at this stage I am still waiting on costs.

I would need an address to send them to in the US and then they would have to be distributed to the purchasers.

What I am proposing is that I will purchase as many gearboxes as people order and pay for, build a crate and package them. Then arrange to ship them to the US. I don't need paid for the box or my time, all I need is to cover the purchase cost of the gearboxes and any shipping costs.

If you are interested then please PM me so I can get an idea of how many gearboxes I would need to source. The cost of the gearboxes is NZ$300 each, if I am buying 5 or more plus the cost of shipping. I can accept payment to a US address, but the cost of transfering the funds to me in New Zealand would have to be added.

So let me know if you are interested.

Do you have references?

I'm not sure to many will be willing to put out moneys to a person thats relatively new here and lives in a foreign country.

For those that don't know me, LPGsuperchargedBrumby visited me at work recently, so those that know Callum can verify this with him.

I run a business in Dunedin, NZ, a transmission repair shop, I have worked at this company for over 10 years and have owned it for the last 6.

I have an Ebay account using the same name as I log in here with, so go and check my feedback.

I have purchased from quite a few businesses in the US and have some very good friends in the US. Most of my friends are into a certain form of target shooting, which is my main interest. I have represented NZ at a world level in target shooting and this is where most of my references would be in the US.

As I put in my original post I can accept payment to a US address, in fact a friend of mine who lives in Indiana, and for those that don't trust me then I can make it simple.

Send payment to my friend in the US, with all your details and including freight (still to be finalised) I would ship the gearboxes to him and he would then arrange internal shipping of the gearboxes at the purchasers expense.

The only problem with this is that those on the west coast would pay a bit more in freight than if I could find someone on the west coast to ship them to and trust to arrange shipping them to all the buyers.

For those that want references, what do you want??

i think this a great idea and this is what the USMB is all about, people helping people out. For someone in the down under area, to help ship and help people out is awesome. And remember, if you need stuff from North America, we could trade stuff back and forth, of course shipping cost is quite pricey but parts is what we need.

This sort of dealings is a great way for everyone to get parts that normally we couldnt get ahold of. If you need stuff, we will help out too.

For those that don't know me, LPGsuperchargedBrumby visited me at work recently, so those that know Callum can verify this with him.

I run a business in Dunedin, NZ, a transmission repair shop, I have worked at this company for over 10 years and have owned it for the last 6.

I have an Ebay account using the same name as I log in here with, so go and check my feedback.

I have purchased from quite a few businesses in the US and have some very good friends in the US. Most of my friends are into a certain form of target shooting, which is my main interest. I have represented NZ at a world level in target shooting and this is where most of my references would be in the US.

As I put in my original post I can accept payment to a US address, in fact a friend of mine who lives in Indiana, and for those that don't trust me then I can make it simple.

Send payment to my friend in the US, with all your details and including freight (still to be finalised) I would ship the gearboxes to him and he would then arrange internal shipping of the gearboxes at the purchasers expense.

The only problem with this is that those on the west coast would pay a bit more in freight than if I could find someone on the west coast to ship them to and trust to arrange shipping them to all the buyers.

For those that want references, what do you want??

Thank you, thats exactly what I was hoping to read.

This may get moved to the Vendors Forum now tho.

i have the ability to receive, and distribute the transmissions through my work and the port of seattle. honestly im looking to pick up between 6 and 12 of them.

PM sent, lets get this going.

Sweet. looks like you have the resources lined up.

Thanks everyone for the interest, PM's have been replied too.

I have been told that freight is by the cubic meter or the 1000kg so have asked for a quote for 1000kg.

I will check if they land freight in Seattle Wa but I think the container would be landed in LA and it would be freighted by truck from there.

The gearboxes I have looked at come out of the 1800 Legacy with Hi/Lo and the vacuum unit for center diff lock, not all the 1800's with Hi/Lo ratio have the center diff lock and not all the ones I have seen with center diff lock have Hi/Lo ratio.

I have no idea of gearbox or diff ratios, but I know my '83 Brumby had 3.7 diff ratio, and the Hi/Lo Legacy box I fitted the RX centre diff too was also 3.7 diff ratio......so the ratio's may be quite different to what was available in the US of A.

At present I do get a few parts out of the US, along with tooling and other things and know a freight company that ships this stuff to me at reasonable rates.........I could be looking for some Mustang parts in the future.

I will keep pursuing the freight costs and let everyone know as things develop.....Cheers Ian

I have had a reply about freight, but since I have an address to ship them too in Seattle WA I have asked for a firm quote.

So far the price I have been quoted for 1M3 or 1000kg landed in LA but no destination charges. In other words no US taxes, duties or any other charges.

It works out at NZ$428.34, the quote doesn't say if GST (local tax) has to be added or if it is exempt. This was also calculated at the current exchange rate and a note says that approximate destination charges would be US$400.

Additional to this would be the cost of shipping from LA to Seattle WA.

I am still waiting for a couple of questions to be answered but it looks like it could be an additional US$100 maybe more per gearbox if I send 10 gearboxes. So around US$300 per gearbox, but I will have a more precise figure when the quote comes back.

So is this acceptable to those that are interested?? ...Ian