Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

• Please log in to reply
6243 replies to this topic

#4226 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,709 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

yeah, weird tho is has an electric choke. wait no DGAV, its stamepd on the carb body.

DGEV is with Electric Choke. DGAV is Water Choke.

#4227 xbeerd

xbeerd

dookin'

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  • Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

changed my airfilter today. used a intake pipe from a 94 (i think?) legacy, got a cone filter from the store, and used a fabric reinforced adhesive backed adjustable filter adapter (:D) to hold the filter on.
Posted Image

the difference was pretty amazing, guess my old filter was worse shape than it looked.

changed the filter in the 02 outback as well. the one in that car was pretty nasty!
Posted Image
we got this car 1 yr ago from a dealer who put new brakes and tires on it. i guess a tune up was too much extra work? i'd rather have the tune up than new tires.. :/

Edited by xbeerd, 30 April 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#4228 xbeerd

xbeerd

dookin'

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  • Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

(delete me)

Edited by xbeerd, 01 May 2012 - 10:41 AM.
double post. delete

#4229 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,623 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

DGEV is with Electric Choke. DGAV is Water Choke.

I Already wrote that to Him:

As you wrote, it really says "DGAV" on the carb's Body, which means that it originally came factory with Water Choke, so if it has an Electric Choke, that electric choke must be an addition, because Weber uses the "DGAV" Nomenclature for those Carbs that comes factory with Water Choke and "DGEV" for those who comes factory with Electric choke.

Kind Regards.

#4230 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,709 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

Ah, good looking out JesZek :)

#4231 425wagon

425wagon

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • North Bend WA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

smoked my tail lights and blacked out my grill .... o and a new battery

#4232 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

I Already wrote that to Him:

ya we decided that somebody must have converted it. i am curious though to the right of the electric choke, what is that other electrical connection?

Posted Image

#4233 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • North ID

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

probably a fuel shutoff solenoid.

#4234 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,623 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Idasho is Right, and you're Lucky to have that already fitted to the Weber, 'cos it was somehow an "Option" and usually people deal with Dieseling in certain circunstances, or install one aftermarket.

Kind Regards.

#4235 Ricearu

Ricearu

Official De-Ricer!

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • DFW, TX

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4236 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Idasho is Right, and you're Lucky to have that already fitted to the Weber, 'cos it was somehow an "Option" and usually people deal with Dieseling in certain circunstances, or install one aftermarket.

Kind Regards.

so is it worth hooking up? what does it, do ( besides shut off the fuel ) i mean how does it work?

#4237 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,623 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

so is it worth hooking up? ...

Yes, if you don't connect it to a Positive (+) Source, it will Never Open, so the Engine will Never Start due to the Lack of Fuel: it Prevents Fuel to Come.

But the sH¡tachi Carb has that Solenoid too... So you Only Need to Use the Wire for it and Plug it to the Weber's Solenoid.

...how does it work?

If it Doesn't Receive the (+) imput = Closed. (ignition Off)
With the Positive imput, it will be = Open. (ignition On)

Kind Regards.

#4238 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Yes, if you don't connect it to a Positive (+) Source, it will Never Open, so the Engine will Never Start due to the Lack of Fuel: it Prevents Fuel to Come.

But the sH¡tachi Carb has that Solenoid too... So you Only Need to Use the Wire for it and Plug it to the Weber's Solenoid.

If it Doesn't Receive the (+) imput = Closed. (ignition Off)
With the Positive imput, it will be = Open. (ignition On)

Kind Regards.

so what happens if there is no solenoid, you said it was an option on a weber so do the carbs with out it have problems?

#4239 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,709 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Dieseling or Engine run-on is a condition that can occur in spark plug, gasoline powered engines, whereby the engine keeps running for a short period after being turned off, due to fuel igniting without a spark.

"Clark, why is it still running?" "Oh, honey, all new cars do that!" "Think you hate it now, wait till you drive it!"

That solenoid eliminates this occurrence.

#4240 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

lets see.... buttoned my car up, bled the brakes, torqued EVERTHING, figured i might as well paint the drums while the rear tires were off ( sorry no pics :( )

so i did that and took it on a drive expirimented with the shifting curve, shifting @ 5000 sound good if i really want it to pull. it winds out at about 5200, but it pulls really well at about 4600 ish in the lower gears. i tried to climb this big rump roast hill ( 25-30 degrees, 100 yards ) started to power hop at the top, and i didnt want to break an axle shaft so i put it in 4wd. the craptachi is REALLY crappy cause now that i think of it my subie is starving for some oxygen.

soon to do, rear suspension, weber swap, and cap and rotor, oil change+seafoam! :D

#4241 aba4430

aba4430

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Royston, GA

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

Replaced the alternator under warranty from AZ yesterday. The old one was from AZ and installed in 2007 (previous to this was the original purchase from AZ in 1999). The flickering of lights that I noted upon installation of the fused positive cable last week-end, has gone away. Now to continue to work on the low voltage problem. The old alternator failed with lights, AC on during in-car testing, but passed on the bench. The replacement alternator came with a double pulley, but it clears my AC drive and hence I did not swap it out. I will pull my instrument cluster etc. to further narrow down my low (in-cab) voltage problems.

Separately, have been reading up on the Maxima swap. Does AC Delco make decent new alternators? I can get a new AC Delco Maxima alternator for a good price. However, need to fix the voltage issues first. The fused positive cable from the alternator to the battery that I installed this past weekend has certainly improved electrical performance to a small extent. This is evident with a slight increase in in-cab voltage reading, better idle quality with lights and AC on and no tendency to cut-off randomly, in the past two days.

#4242 91_EJ_22

91_EJ_22

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • lakewood, wa

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

:banana:lets see i have done my o2 sensor hood (thanx rob) and did my tps and yeah now just to do the 5 speed swap lol:banana:

#4243 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

tps do any good? code gone?

#4244 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

ya we decided that somebody must have converted it. i am curious though to the right of the electric choke, what is that other electrical connection?

Posted Image

so is that vacume port under the electronic choke for the pcv? seems a little small...

#4245 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,591 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

Just fixed my pedal box.
Welded some angle iron in there to fix it good.
Well, I didn't, my dad wouldn't let me use his welder, but he tacked in some angle iron :-p

I rattled it some weird shiny crap paint we had laying around.
I'll post pix in the AM.
Goodnight all!

Twitch

#4246 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,969 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

Pulled a few more parts off the '92 parts Wagon, including the fairly new gas tank. Bonus....

Rolled it out of the garage. Time to fire up the cutting torch.. :Flame:

#4247 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,623 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

...I'll post pix in the AM.
Goodnight all!...

Good Night too... and Yes, Pics Please! :)

so is that vacume port under the electronic choke for the pcv? seems a little small...

There should be Two 3/16 Vacuum Ports in the Weber's Front, the one at the Right is for the Distribuitor's Vacuum Advance, the one at the Left is for the EGR.

More info ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

#4248 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

Good Night too... and Yes, Pics Please! :)

There should be Two 3/16 Vacuum Ports in the Weber's Front, the one at the Right is for the Distribuitor's Vacuum Advance, the one at the Left is for the EGR.

More info ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

ok so if there is only one like in my case then can i tee the vacuum advance, or should i just use one of the other many unused vacume ports on the intake for the vacuum advance.

Posted Image

#4249 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 1,387 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

ok so if there is only one like in my case then can i tee the vacuum advance, or should i just use one of the other many unused vacume ports on the intake for the vacuum advance.

The circled one is the EGR port. Remove the screw and attach the hose from that to the EGR.

Attached Files

#4250 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,623 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

ok so if there is only one like in my case...

No, your Weber has Two vacuum ports in front, but the one on the Left is Closed with a Screw, as Subynut already wrote; you can remove that screw to use it on the EGR.

...or should i just use one of the other many unused vacume ports on the intake for the vacuum advance...

Never use a Vacuum port in the intake for a Vacuum advance on the Distribuitor, because the Vacuum provided by the Carburetor is somehow "Progressive" and the Vacuum Provided by the intake is "Permanent" and will be too Strong for the Rubber on the advance and could damage it... also since it is permanent, you'll Loose the Advance feature and the Ignition Timin' will be too much advanced.

...can i tee the vacuum advance...

Nope, is not necesary.

Kind Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users