Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

• Please log in to reply
6226 replies to this topic

#6051 TallonX

TallonX

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Rochester, Wa

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

How bout what have you done to A subi lately...

Just finished lifting a buddy's Outback, Forrester strut assembly and 1" spacers.

Overall lift 2.5-3"

Attached Files

#6052 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

Got the input shaft bearing and seal for my transmission.

100_0758.jpg

Grant - this IS going back in next week!  peanut-butter-jelly-time.gif

#6053 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

Prepping the two halves of the transmission to come together, I decided to leave a 20th anniversary message inside with my stamping kit for whoever opens this up again (not me I hope). A transmission Easter egg of sorts.

That is the speedo gear on the right. No I am not going crazy. I've already arrived. :P

100_0761.jpg

Edited by MR_Loyale, 21 June 2014 - 02:13 AM.

#6054 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,593 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

Nice IdeaThumbup.jpg

We all have some sort of Craziness, Subaru Craziness, you know ...  :D ...

Kind Regards.

#6055 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,654 posts
  • Texas

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

Wife's car got a new battery. VatoZone Gold lasted 3 years 9 months, not
bad for this part of the country. anything over 3 years is good.

But, only had $40 of pro-rated money. Decided to get a Super Start
Extreme from O'Reilly's . With a slight difference in price and a rebate
(well - gift card) it saves me maybe $5 ,and , the battery is sealed/0
maintenance. Though it may be getting weak/old now, I really like the
one in my WRX. I think there's less corrosion because of the way it's
vented ? The pos. terminal in the Outback was a mess, I swapped it for
anew terminal - AGAIN.

Freaked me out for 30 seconds. Didn't want to start until I locked/unlocked it with the remote fob.

#6056 colemanapp

colemanapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • St. Louis, MO

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:24 AM

added a big nylon rope with a couple hooks for effect, my brothers idea.  :huh:  

#6057 colzcolz

colzcolz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Tampa

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

At the risk of sounding dumb...I haven't made any serious mods to my 87 GL, yet. But the kid who owned it before me definitely did. While I was trying to figure out an AC leak, I removed the glove compartment for better access and saw a speaker--right behind the center-right AC vent. Then I found one hidden to the bottom left of the steering wheel. I've never owned a Subaru before and I have no idea if these speakers are supposed to be there or if this kid made special mounting brackets and just found room to place them. I've showed them to several car audio places and the general response is something like, "what the hell?!" If this is in fact a mod, then I'll probably take them out (they don't work right now). What do y'all think? I did find it strange that the only speakers are in the back, with the exception of the tweeters in the front doors.

I can't tell y'all how happy I am to have found this forum. I'll probably be browsing all these topics well into the early morning hours lol.

#6058 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,593 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Welcome!

Those Speakers are a Mod for sure, but...

Could you Post Photos of that Speakers' Setup?

I'm Curious! 

Kind Regards.

#6059 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

Ran my Brat into high water, not smart...Attached File  image.jpg   179.24K   33 downloads

Now it is backfiring through the carb and won't start. Ugh.....

#6060 Tsuru

Tsuru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Darby, Montana

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:27 AM

Inasmuch as I have been trying to do only positive things to my newly acquired GL-10 with the EA82T in it...I am afraid I've donked it up.

Heading home...cruising at 65 and just basically enjoying life in general. (yeah I don't speed very often)

Suddenly, Great clouds of billowy steam envelope the vehicle and the temp gauge starts to rise...rapidly.

Shut down and coast to the side of the road, pop the hood and discover the turbo coolant line ruptured. The coolant line really only comes into play when you shut down the engine after a playful romp, thermo-siphoning coolant  to keep things coke free.

But sudden rupture of any coolant line is not a good thing...especially in these little beasties.

New part on order, but still trying to find info here about how to change the silly little hose. Or maybe it's just not that difficult and I'm fretting over nothing at all.

OR...

It's a nightmarish adventure into knuckle bleeding agony, wrench throwing and epithet spewing hell that nobody posts about because it is a process best never spoken of again.

either way I'm about to find out.

(just hope no more damage was done, crossing fingers that the pass side HG survived)

And about a swap to an EJ22...

No...just...no...

the body is rough, and a 220K miles the entirety of the vehicle does not warrant such an expenditure.

besides...really...how many of the old EA82Ts are really left out there anymore, with everybody doing all this swapping.

I'd rather have a rare beastie that runs right, than a hybrid that everyone has. (I got 27 MPG between Darby and Missoula without even trying!)

Dual range 5 speed...sure...why the heck not..

But only if this engine is toast will I consider swapping it out for the almighty EJ22..

so...when I get the part in I'll post pictures about the change.since I cannot find anything on it using the search.

(which sucks by the way...nothing I look for comes up, must be my incompetence in using the search function)

More later...

(a dealership in Oregon has three of the hoses I need, and I only need one, at least they are still available)

frustratedly,

timothy

#6061 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:16 AM

Timothy, that hose is a bear to get at.

I paid a mechanic to do it for me because it sucked so much.

Best wishes.

Twitch

#6062 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:31 AM

Shiny transmission awaiting installation back into car.

100_0810.jpg

The waiting transmission tunnel

100_0809.jpg

100_0813.jpg

100_0812.jpg

Tranmission is in. Now everything just needs to be hooked back up.

#6063 SmashedGlass

SmashedGlass

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • From CO, stuck in FL

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Nothing exciting. Finally got my new genuine OEM Subaru fuel level sender with thermistor in the mail, and installed. 

Apparently, I have more gas in my tank than I thought.....

:lol:

#6064 Tsuru

Tsuru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Darby, Montana

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Nothing exciting. Finally got my new genuine OEM Subaru fuel level sender with thermistor in the mail, and installed. 

Apparently, I have more gas in my tank than I thought.....

:lol:

BONUS!

Celebrate with some doughnuts!

(wait, that's like celebrating your one month sobriety with a shot of tequila).

By the way Twitch, Thanks for the heads up, I was looking at it and it looks like a true puppy to get to without pulling the turbo...

I'm not opposed to yanking it, but not really wanting to start pulling things off if I can help it.

Of course, if the motor is stuffed, the whole thing gets yanked and rebuilt.

of if someone wants to give me an EJ22 with a DR5sp...

(Ok, back to reality.)

If anyone is interested, the coolant hose to the turbocharger is Part # 14448AA002

I couldn't find it online anywhere.

(even here)

More later...

Continued and abiding Respects,

quietly,

timothy

#6065 colzcolz

colzcolz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Tampa

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Loyale 2.7, I was poking around in my Ru earlier today and took some pictures of the speakers I mentioned. I tried to take out the speaker on the left (driver side) but when I unscrewed the mounting I found out that the wires were still connected to something...not sure what and I don't like messing with wires so I'll hold off on that one. The speaker on the right, one image is the view from inside where the glove compartment would be and looking up, it's kind of hard to see the speaker but I couldn't get a better angle b/c it's a tight space. The last picture of the right speaker is the view looking through the vents (where the AC should be blowing).

The amount of effort it must have taken to create these custom mounts and install them in such hard to reach and cramped spaces is insane! Even crazier, is that the kid who owned it before me never mentioned them. He told me everything else he did with the car so I'm baffled as to why he left this out. Oh well. If I can get them hooked up and working for pretty cheap I may just keep them.

-Colz

Attached Files

#6066 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,457 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

maybe the person before him did that.

#6067 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,593 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

Loyale 2.7, I was poking around in my Ru earlier today and took some pictures of the speakers I mentioned...

Thank you for sharing those Pictures.

When you Wrote 87 GL, I Thought that it was an EA82, Now I see it is a Hatchback, isn't it?

Certain japanese cars from the '70's and '80's had vertical mounted oval speakers down under the vents, others had a mid dashboard opening for a single speaker placement, for the AM radios on the very basic models... I'm not saying that those are factory speakers, but maybe the one who did that, took the idea from one of those models...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo, 26 June 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#6068 colzcolz

colzcolz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Tampa

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for that info! It makes a little more sense now. Even though they aren't factory speakers, I have no clue what could have gone there in their place. If I get them hooked up and working I'll let y'all know! Thanks again!

-Colz

#6069 colzcolz

colzcolz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Tampa

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Subaru Nut, normally I would think that a possibility but the owners before were an elderly couple who only used the GL for weekend trips to Ruidoso, NM--which explains why the mileage was so low when I bought it. When I first bought it I found some wiring in the back that was more than likely hooked up to some subs. I took those out and am trying to keep everything in the GL as original as possible :-)

-Colz

#6070 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:34 AM

Got two cam towers and one head back from the machine shop. The other head is getting a helicoil for the exhaust bolt hole.

112_0002.jpg

112_0004.jpg

112_0005.jpg

Edited by MR_Loyale, 27 June 2014 - 01:38 AM.

#6071 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

Got up to C&D Engine Shop in Kirkland and picked up the passenger side head. I didn't drive over from Bremerton but rather got a lift from a friend at work who then dropped me and the head off in Seattle to walk to the ferry. I am probably the only person ever to backpack an EA82 head around the streets of Seattle.

Tomorrow I will go to the dealer to get the main seals front and back and the cam tower O-Rings. Slowly but surely it is coming together.

Edited by MR_Loyale, 27 June 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#6072 angerthis

angerthis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Blaine/Bellinghame WA

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

i put a Iroc Camaro rear spoiler on my 86 RX 

Attached Files

#6073 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,593 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

... I am probably the only person ever to backpack an EA82 head around the streets of Seattle...

I understand that! ... I also went with a Broken EA82 Head on my Backpack in 1995, searching for a Repair Shop that could weld aluminium... I ended buying two new heads (Gen 3) at the Dealer, on that date, it was cheaper than repair the old ones; as you can see, here:

~► http://www.ultimates...east/?p=1115734

Kind Regards.

#6074 AKghandi

AKghandi

87 GL-10 2" lift 27" tires, 86 GL 2" lift 29"

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

#6075 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,457 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Pushed it across the street to a parking spot because for the first time since I bought my car, it wouldn't start. :-\ will investigate after work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users