Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about upping the boost on an EA82T

jg09

About how much boost can the stock EA82T internals take? And how about the auto transmission in my GL-10 waggy? I'd like to retro-fit a slightly larger turbo into the system, but I don't want to go overboard and melt a piston in the process.

P.S. andysautosport.com doesn't seem to carry anything for the older Subies. Anyone know of a site like it that carries accessories for these cars?

Edited by jg09

Well that's what I'm afraid of. Not you getting bashed, that's your own problem to deal with. An old vehicle that can't take much boost. From the factory, the EA82T had 115 hp. I'd like to tune up the motor and get it to the condition where it's probably making that again, and then focus my efforts on getting 150 hp.

there have been a couple good threads on here over the last few years that have gone into extensive information on building up the EA82T... it all depends on how big your wallet is :lol:

As I'm sure people will chime in, you can get more reliable power by just swapping in an EJ22 NA or EJ22T engine , which them opens you up for aftermarket parts...

Mostly comes down to personal priority ranking of the following:

1. Reliability

2. Power Output

3. Cost

4. Parts Availability

5. Reason for wanting more power.

Welcome to the USMB. :grin:

SJR makes an adapter plate and flywheel adapter for an EJ25 swap, but if I do an EJ25 swap, I'm going to do a manual trans swap, too. But I don't really need a lot of power, just a bit more than what I've got. I think a complete motor swap is a little overkill for my little GL

there have been a couple good threads on here over the last few years that have gone into extensive information on building up the EA82T... it all depends on how big your wallet is :lol:

As I'm sure people will chime in, you can get more reliable power by just swapping in an EJ22 NA or EJ22T engine , which them opens you up for aftermarket parts...

Mostly comes down to personal priority ranking of the following:

1. Reliability

2. Power Output

3. Cost

4. Parts Availability

5. Reason for wanting more power.

Welcome to the USMB. :grin:

Thanks Mick, you saved me a lot of time :rolleyes:

SJR makes an adapter plate and flywheel adapter for an EJ25 swap, but if I do an EJ25 swap, I'm going to do a manual trans swap, too. But I don't really need a lot of power, just a bit more than what I've got. I think a complete motor swap is a little overkill for my little GL

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88249

If you up the boost on the stock EA82T, you will be replacing it in short order.

if you want more power without blowing the engine look at removing restrictions. Add a header, DP, de-restrict the air box, add a recirculator valve and add an intercooler before you think about boost. This is my plan and I'm not looking to have 200hp but perhaps a nice reliable 130hp will do. My engine is a fairly fresh rebuild so it will take a little more abuse than an older one but not much.

if you want more power without blowing the engine look at removing restrictions. Add a header, DP, de-restrict the air box, add a recirculator valve and add an intercooler before you think about boost.

What he said! You'll probably get close too or hit 150hp (engine hp) with the above modifications. A custom lightweight pulley (Not underdriven) will help free up some hp to the ground as well. Nevermind turning up the boost. The extra airflow with freeing up the exhaust (and perhaps another turbo) is more than enough to max out your fuel injectors.

You'll probably get close too or hit 150hp (engine hp) with the above modifications.

I want what you are smoking! With those modifications, leaving the boost set to factory, he would be lucky to make 5 more HP, let alone 35 :rolleyes:. Rob isn't even making that much WITH more boost from a higher CFM turbo. And he HAS all those mods with dyno sheets to prove it.

A custom lightweight pulley (Not underdriven) will help free up some hp to the ground as well. Nevermind turning up the boost.

A lightweight pully will not do much. The general rule is that each pound you free up from the rotating assembly = 1/2 HP. So if you lost the whole freakin pulley you might get 2.5 HP - but you wouldn't get very far before you were wanting that pulley back.....

To make 150 HP on a tired, EA82T with mileage on it, you need to increase the boost - but the engine will last about 5 to 15 thousand miles. Maybe less. It happens every single time someone does it. I've been here quite a few years now and one thing is a constant - the EA82T sucks balls and no one wants to invest the $5,000 to $10,000 into making one put out 175 HP reliably when EJ22's putting down 135 or 147 HP are readily availible for under $1000 complete with donor car for wireing, computer, etc. Bonus that there's no troublesome turbo to deal with on them either. Even bigger bonus - you CAN put 5 psi through an N/A EJ22 and it will shoot up to around 200 HP - and it's even reliable! People have run used, higher mileage EJ22's with 5 psi through them for years without issue. Makes for a fun ride on the cheap.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I want what you are smoking! With those modifications, leaving the boost set to factory, he would be lucky to make 5 more HP, let alone 35 :rolleyes:. Rob isn't even making that much WITH more boost from a higher CFM turbo. And he HAS all those mods with dyno sheets to prove it.

GD

If you consider the 20-30hp drivetrain loss of my 137hp at the wheels, then I am putting out 150-160bhp. But I wont and dont run at 12psi all day, its set at 9-10psi right now.

And my engine isnt tired (getting there) and I've had a few years of tweaking these worthless lumps.

If you consider the 20-30hp drivetrain loss of my 137hp at the wheels, then I am putting out 150-160bhp. But I wont and dont run at 12psi all day, its set at 9-10psi right now.

Exactly - and it's not just the pressure - you have to consider the CFM @ 9-10 psi (which is still higher than stock). With your TD04, you are pushing probably 50 to 100 CFM more than the VF7 @ 10 psi. Pressure is only a static measurement - one must consider the CFM if you are talking about a non-static system.

And my engine isnt tired (getting there) and I've had a few years of tweaking these worthless lumps.

The real question is - from your experience, how much life have you drained away from your short-block by running it the way you have it set up? If a bone-stock EA82T could make 250k miles, what would your's accomplish given the mods you have done. 75% reduction in overall life of the engine? (just a guess).

GD

To make 150 HP on a tired, EA82T with mileage on it, you need to increase the boost - but the engine will last about 5 to 15 thousand miles. Maybe less. It happens every single time someone does it.

That last part just isn't true. Ran 12 pounds for 5 years and 100k miles. Car was still running around town two years after I sold it. Kids driving it finally ripped out the front differential and that is what finally killed it.