Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how big tires/wheels(not conversion Q) can i put on a stock '88 GL wagon w/out lift

hey,

im wondering with or without a conversion how big tires/wheels can i put on my '88 gl wagon before rubbing becomes a problem. i dont want to lift my car yet but im thinking about doing the 6 lug conversion and dont want to buy wheels and tires for the conversion to find that they are going to rub. i dont mind banging out the outside or cutting in. i just dont want to lift it (cant afford it even if it is real cheap). so any input helps. thanks!

Zane

^^dude. your 195/70s would be about an inch taller than 205/55s. he'd have quite a bit more room.

I ran 225/55r16 VictoRacers (measured a healthy 26.5" tall, and as close as you can get to slicks and still be DOT legal) while autocrossing on my wagon. lowered about an inch, but with ~50% stiffer springs, and XT6 sway bars. with the right offset wheel....they'd work (which you won't find unless you go 5-lug).

then again, my old '85 wagon hacked up a set of 205/60r15s (24.7") on pugs with the stock suspension from rubbing on the rear fenders.

and I've seen 29" super swampers put on an older EA82 with the adjustable suspension cranked and a TON of cutting.

long story short. it's different for just about every car. pug wheels have pretty crappy offset for a subaru, so the tires will NOT tuck up into the wheel wells at all. your best bet is to measure your tires, and your current clearance between tires and fender. decide how much cutting you're willing to do, and how much clearance you want to leave (I would leave at least 5-6" with the suspension un-weighted).

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

punch in the stock size - then the size you would like to use and it will show how much of a difference there is...also calculates how far off your speedo would be with your tire choice.

Thanks for this, I wanted to see how much my speedo was off since the 26" tires. this showed me I'm 5mph over. SO if my speedo says 60mph, I'm really doing 65mph. thats cool - thank you :)

-Tom

somebody put big huge 60" tires on a loyale wagon without any lift. The video was on youtube, they basically welded extensions onto the hubs, then slapped the tractor tires on and drove it til they bent and broke the hubs,shocks.

So to answer your question, someone can post the video and show you the largest without a lift :)

somebody put big huge 60" tires on a loyale wagon without any lift. The video was on youtube, they basically welded extensions onto the hubs, then slapped the tractor tires on and drove it til they bent and broke the hubs,shocks.

So to answer your question, someone can post the video and show you the largest without a lift :)

Yea that was funny as hell, I think it was call "How to build a Monster subaru" or something like that. Gotta admit, if it had more thought put into it and a better way to attach it. that thing would have been unstopable (Then EJ it)

-Tom :)