Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seriously, Recommend Me Some Wipers

A few months ago, I spent close to $70 on some Michelin wipers for both my car and my wife's. These were the ones that contour the windshield and fold almost flush with it after installation. These things are GARBAGE! Both my car and her's are doing the same thing. The wipers will skip half the time across my windshield. When the wiper completes the first part of the cycle, it pulls more rainwater back into my field of vision. It also does not even wipe on the lowest 3 inches of the blade, its like its not even there.

I seem to have never had good luck with wipers. USMB, please recommend me some new wipers.

wipers are totally annoying and seemed to never have great luck either. i think the key is to replace often, windshield wipers apparently have short life spans. probably helps to make sure the windshield is thoroughly cleaned from time to time too in order to keep the blades clean - might be more of an issues depending what kind of environment it sees.

I bought Trico Neoforms for my Lincoln back when I first bought it in April of 2007. That same original pair is still on the car today and they still clear the windshield perfectly. I do wash the car often, so they aren't doing double duty trying to scrape fried bugs and road grime off of my windshield, but two and a half years is still a feat for any wiper blade in my book.

Granted, the performance of the blades is going to differ based on several factors. You have the curvature of the windshield, spring tension of the wiper arms, condition of the glass, temperature can even play a part to an extent. The condition of the rubber is a big factor. Rubber that is dried out (old) is harder and will not bend easily in the way it is meant to while wiping across the windshield. That is generally what causes the blades to chatter or jump.

I have el-cheapo blades on my Legacy, they're actually replacement blade inserts ($3 for the pack). Been on a couple months, they chatter a fair amount if the windshield isn't really wet, but not too terrible.

I'm sure they'll be shot before the end of winter, then I may try another set of the Neoforms, not sure.

If you can, return the Bosch blades for another pair (or brand) of blades. It may just be that the ones you purchased had been in the store for a long time (not many people are willing to fork over $30+ for a pair of wiper blades) and were dried out or hardened from not being used.

I could never figure out why blade manufacturers don't come up with a design that will absolutely, positively not scratch the windshield under any circumstances. Too many time, I have had a blade come apart, and one swipe across the glass is enough to make a scratch.

Blue Coral one blade with holder is 3$, these are not the refills, its the holder and blade.

The store usually stocks about 3 of a size at a time, so i just buy them and go get more then next time they are restocked.

New blades 2x a year is nice.

once right before winter, and once in summer

I also like to use RAIN-X in the can that you spray on a towel, then wipe all over the glass, let haze, buff off.

Some people do not like to use it, but i have not had a problem. Make sure clean the glass real well before application. read instructions on product label for temps to apply etc.

Edited by bheinen74

I like the Rain-X Latitude blades. Great wipes regardless of weather or temp. They do last also. Pep Boys sells their own brand of them cheaper now and I put a set on the Outback. I like them so far.

The only thing you have to watch with these blades is if you scrape ice off of the windshield and knock the plastic end caps off of the blade. They can be replaced back on the blade, but if you lose one, you're screwed. The refill will come out of the blade during wiping.

TrippleEdge always did the job for me. Had them for no less than 4 years on my previous car. And they are $6-7 at Wal-Mart.

They do smear the water/windshield fluid occasionally, but that's usually not a problem with the heater turned to windows.

Like Allpar Mod mentioned before, the Rain-X latitude blades are great. When combined with the Rain-X washer fluid, it is unbeatable in keeping the windshield clear. Water sheds really easily and everytime you wash the window, the fluid adds the rain-x coating :banana: .

Edited by doc526

TrippleEdge always did the job for me. Had them for no less than 4 years on my previous car. And they are $6-7 at Wal-Mart.

They do smear the water/windshield fluid occasionally, but that's usually not a problem with the heater turned to windows.

That's what they're called!

I was trying to remember the cheapo blades I put on my BRAT.

Yeah, they come in a yellow package and are silicone rubber.

I have yet to have them freeze down to the window and not be broken loose

by the wiper motor (and my wiper motor SUCKS)

As mentioned by Kwhistle, they smear if there isn't enough water on the

window to really wipe off, but my wipers see bugs, dirt, mud, snow, muddy

snow, light rain, heavy rain, even pine needles and leaves.

And no problem yet.

Twitch

We are using Bosch Icons on the Impreza , and Bosch microedges on our Acclaim .

When the wipers on our cars are wiping , and you are possibly behind heavy truck traffic and the windshield seems to become hazy while they are wiping . We squirt a good amount of Sunlight dish soap or similar on the glass while it is raining . Cleans the glass and wipers really well and takes care of the smear .

Now , lots of people like Rain X , and such , but for us the dishsoap works well . Plus it is cheaper...

But , I think it comes down to personal choice and what's avaliable to you.

Edited by imprezaII
change

Might be a little late but Trico exact fits have always been awesome for me. I've had my same wipers for the past 5 months and they've seen quite a bit of rain including today, and they still work great. I do make sure to keep mine clean however.

I've found with the Ancos that the rubber from the blades actually comes off on my windshield and I have to scrape it off with a razor blade. GARBAGE.

I bought my 95 legacy and it has these springs that hold the wiper blades down against the windshield. I have no idea what they are called or where to buy but try asking at the auto parts store. I use the cheapo winter blades and never have any problems. Rain-X also rules for applying to the windshield...my buddy drove his car 7 hrs in mostly rain when we went to a car show years ago and the wipers quit working. Apply the rain-x, do 70 miles an hour, and voila...who needs wipers....it made a believer out of me.