Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lost key no spear any ideas how to get started??

another key MAY fit if its close enough and your car has enough miles. The key to my old GL fit Caboobaroo's GF's former GL as well. so try a similar vehicle key (dont waste your time trying an STi key), find a GL or brat key or something...

maybe even some older nissans.

If you can get in I seem to recall there is a lock code on the passenger door lock cylinder.

Also... maybe the previous owner left a hide a key on your car... check the engine bay and wheel wells (there are some good spots up on the front frame rails)

if all else fails you can break the steering lock and jumper the distributor and coil

if its carbed. or you could do the same but connect wires together on the switch and see if you get lights and ignition...But an old worn out key from an old subaru-nissan-toyota might work.

I had to do this on an old RX Leone a few months back.

Much simpler then anyone says,

Take the steering column housing off, strip everything off till you get to the key barrel.

There is a small screw holding the end of the key barrel in, undo that, then just use a flatblade screwdriver/end of key/whatever to turn it. Easy as.

Even if you cant get it to turn all the way but only enough to unlock the steering column your good to go. This is what happened with my current car...no keys so i had to start it with an old key i had. It got the steering column unlocked but could not turn it further. If you pull the lower trim on the column you will be able to access the back of the ignition switch. There will be two very small screws. Take those out and pull the ignition off the switch. Now u can turn it with a screwdriver.

EDIT: ^ he beat me by two minutes but same idea. You can just start the car that way but u still need to unlock the column.

The PASSENGER side front door lock cylinder has the key code for your car. Any decent locksmith can cut you a new key from the code. The dealer might also; but likely will need the key code since they've tossed the key information for the '80's models long ago.

go to the junkyard look for a Subaru, and look in the floorboards, ashtray, center console, glovebox, even ignition switch for a key hanging around.

I have several junkyard keys from early gen legacy to loyals, and they all work.

Even my 92Leg key would start my Brat. My SVX key started the rescue wagon.

Also, this thread should remind people to have a kill switch, use the CLUB Autolock, or unplug your fuel pump for extended public parking.

I just got a 79 brat with no ignition key, but the key to my 86 brat worked in it :grin: if you have a nice collection of old Nissan ans Subaru keys, chances are one of them will work with a little wiggling and jiggling if nothing else.

Also, on some of the gen 3 columns, the lock cylinder is held on with 4 screws, and you can just un bolt it to unlock the column, then unscrew the ignition switch from the back of it and start it with a screwdriver...

-Bill

The PASSENGER side front door lock cylinder has the key code for your car. Any decent locksmith can cut you a new key from the code. The dealer might also; but likely will need the key code since they've tossed the key information for the '80's models long ago.

The dealers down in texas still have all that info. Subaru offers better support than that. This ain't honda.

i hate to sound like the wet blanket but subaru CAN cut that. just give them your vin, and its less than 20$ i did it on an 89 justy and my 87 gl-10

+1 i've done this a bunch of times as well.

when the cars were first sold - the key code is typically recorded. if that step was skipped then they won't be able to find the information but more times than not they can cut a key with just your VIN code.

sometimes they will ask for proof of ownership - like the title - to prove they're making the key for the actual owner. but every time i've had it done they just cut the key.

you can turn the car on by jumping a wire from the battery to the + coil terminal, and starti it by jumping a wire to the starter tab.

otherwise you can disassemble the steering column and putll the switch and turn it with a screwdriver.

you will still have to defeat the steering lock.

if you go so far as to pull the ign switch, you can drill out the spring for the lock pin with a cordless drill and a 3/8 or 1/2 inch bit, drill from the bottom leftand the spring will fall out

I vote for going to the dealer.

Just a little something bout older keys. They tend to use the first few notches for the door, and the other few notches for the ignition. Thats why you can sometimes open a door with someone elses key, or start the car with someone elses key, but rarely you can do both.

nipper

I had a Nissan key that would open and start my Subaru, and my Subaru key would open the Nissan but not start it. The Galant key also opens the Subaru but won't start it, I haven't tried any other keys in the Galant. I have been toying around with the idea of removing the ignition in the Subaru completely and just using a push button or something similar.

i hate to sound like the wet blanket but subaru CAN cut that. just give them your vin, and its less than 20$ i did it on an 89 justy and my 87 gl-10

Only dealer in Seattle area that could cut a key for my Brat was Scarff in Auburn; those people who know me, know that there are 7 dealers closer to me than Auburn. None of them could cut me a key from the VIN or the code. Since then I found a locksmith in Redmond who can cut a key from the key code on the passenger side cylinder for $10.